Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Revolt 2 2020 Aluminum Gravel Bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-01-19, 08:12 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2 (ALUXX) (2020), Specialized Hellga (2017), Nashbar Cyclocross Bike (Soon to be on a Trainer))

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

So a little over a year ago I saw the *prototype* gravel bike from Giant and I had a cheeky response:

When I posted this is wasn't revealed that the bike would actually be the Revolt Advanced (sans SX) and I was happy when it was revealed as the Revolt. However there were only carbon models leaving the original Revolt to be superseded by the Toughroad GX.

I have a Toughroad and used it for a year. While I liked the tire clearance, the front end felt too floppy and the rear end was too long and sapped a lot of my power from pedaling. Recently however, Giant announced & re-released the Revolt ALUXX model and I was very interested.

There weren't many *actual* reviews of the bike and a lot of misinformation that led me to shy away from it, but I did find one bike shop that was sorta close (~90 miles lol) so I took a trip to go see it in person and try it out and I'm really glad I did because I discovered some very important differences between this and the Carbon:
  • Tire clearance: The fork clearance is basically unchanged however the Revolt ALUXX has 430mm chainstays (vs 425mm Advanced). I noticed the ALUXX model had more generous mud clearance around the similar sized 38c tires.
  • Bottom Bracket: So not good that it comes with a square taper BB as I prefer hollowtech cranks. HOWEVER the BB by proxy is threaded and not press-fit.
At $1000 this is probably one of the most impressive values for a gravel bike: massive 45+ tire clearance, threaded BB, and thru-axle wheels that are tubeless-ready out of the box. I didn't mention the ride but from my short session with it on some climbs and descents it was a night-and day difference between my Toughroad. While I enjoyed most of my time on the Toughroad, I will be selling it as I wait for my Revolt to come in. I will keep this updated once I have my Revolt in hand as well so I can hopefully answer any questions.
Old 11-01-19, 08:28 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris View Post
I have a Toughroad and used it for a year. While I liked the tire clearance, the front end felt too floppy and the rear end was too long and sapped a lot of my power from pedaling. Recentl
There weren't many *actual* reviews of the bike and a lot of misinformation that led me to shy away from it, but I did find one bike shop that was sorta close (~90 miles lol) so I took a trip to go see it in person and try it out and I'm really glad I did because I discovered some very important differences between this and the Carbon:

• Tire clearance: The fork clearance is basically unchanged however the Revolt ALUXX has 430mm chainstays (vs 425mm Advanced). I noticed the ALUXX model had more generous mud clearance around the similar sized 38c tires.
  • Bottom Bracket: So not good that it comes with a square taper BB as I prefer hollowtech cranks. HOWEVER the BB by proxy is threaded and not press-fit.
At $1000 this is probably one of the most impressive values for a gravel bike: massive 45+ tire clearance, threaded BB, and thru-axle wheels that are tubeless-ready out of the box. I didn't mention the ride but from my short session with it on some climbs and descents it was a night-and day difference between my Toughroad. While I enjoyed most of my time on the Toughroad, I will be selling it as I wait for my Revolt to come in. I will keep this updated once I have my Revolt in hand as well so I can hopefully answer any questions.
If you are close to Canada you can go buy a Full 105 version! Canada offers a 0, 1, and 2
America only gets the 2.

I would be tempted to buy the 2. but by the time I swapped the Crankset, Brakes, Seatpost I'd be better off just driving to CA and buying the full 105 zero version of the bike.

Oh you are pretty Close to Giant Toronto. 650 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1E4, Canada
Old 11-01-19, 08:48 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2 (ALUXX) (2020), Specialized Hellga (2017), Nashbar Cyclocross Bike (Soon to be on a Trainer))

Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
If you are close to Canada you can go buy a Full 105 version! Canada offers a 0, 1, and 2
America only gets the 2.

I would be tempted to buy the 2. but by the time I swapped the Crankset, Brakes, Seatpost I'd be better off just driving to CA and buying the full 105 zero version of the bike.

Oh you are pretty Close to Giant Toronto. 650 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1E4, Canada
Yeah I was looking into that too. I already put half down at one of my LBS. Iím having them change out the stem and theyíre gonna order the D-Fuse handlebars, which I really liked when I tried the Advanced. Iíll be changing the cranks myself from 175mm to 170mm Sora cranks that also have a 46-30 chainring combo.

My issue is that Iím really on a tight budget for now so trying to get the 105 would be too much atm. I have Sora on my other bike and Iíve had no issues whatsoever. My plan is to ride it for the next year/two as is and hopefully theyíll trickle down a 9-Speed hydro lever thatís cross-compatible with old Sora. That or Iíll upgrade to 2x10 GRX.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 11-02-19, 03:05 AM
Metieval

I actually went to the local Giant dealer to buy the one they have sitting on the floor.

The Reason I didn't buy the AUXX Revolt was because of the Downtube not being fully welded at the BB shell. I had a frame like that before, and I hated it. Especially on long rides.

I guess the only way I'd buy the Giant is if they let me take one on a 70 Mile demo ride. I am guessing the LBS wouldn't go for it.
Old 11-02-19, 07:23 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
I actually went to the local Giant dealer to buy the one they have sitting on the floor.

The Reason I didn't buy the AUXX Revolt was because of the Downtube not being fully welded at the BB shell. I had a frame like that before, and I hated it. Especially on long rides.
I never knew bikes that didn't have full welding at the BB had that issue. Granted I'm not sure why it's an issue, and I'm not sure if I'll ride that long in one sitting.

Last edited by DarKris; 11-02-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-02-19, 10:46 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
Salsa Journey man has the same open downtube for cable routing. It requires an extremely stiff downtube to keep the same frame integrity and meet testing requirements. Makes for a much harsher ride than external routing or properly done (more expensive) internal routing.
Old 11-02-19, 11:02 AM
DarKris

Oh well in that case that just means that Iíll have even more efficient pedal strokes so I guess thatís a win for me. If I ever decide to do an extended weekend ride then I guess Iíll see for myself.
Old 11-02-19, 04:51 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by DarKris View Post
Oh well in that case that just means that Iíll have even more efficient pedal strokes so I guess thatís a win for me. If I ever decide to do an extended weekend ride then I guess Iíll see for myself.
for some people they will never notice it.
for people like me.... I'll notice it, and I'll hate it.

I'd just just rather run full external cable housing, than to cheap out on Internal cable routing.

However...... that's me.

For you, the Revolt as it is way better than the Toughroad. It's a win.

My attraction to the AUXX Revolt was the threaded BB as a winter beater bike. And I voice because Somehow I hope that word gets back to Giant. Because this Probably Crossed the Advanced off my list too. If they are willing to cheap out on the AUXX frame, where did they cheap out on the Advanced frame?
Old 11-13-19, 10:27 PM
DarKris

Got the bike from my LBS Tuesday. Had them swap the saddle/bars. Went with the D-Fuse bars in 46cm since it came with the Contact XR bars. Saddle was half-off since it was a take-off but itís more comfortable from first impressions. Added the Maxxis Rambler 45cís that I previously purchased elsewhere. Havenít ridden since I had more to swap on my own:

Threaded BB. Swapped the Square Taper for a Hollowtech II

Rear tire clearance

Front tire clearance

Subtle asymmetric chainstay

Added my Metrea 46-32 crankset
Old 11-14-19, 01:24 AM
Metieval

that color looks really nice!

Congrats!!!
Old 11-14-19, 07:33 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 28 Posts
Congratulations. Now go ride it and enjoy.
Frank.
Old 11-15-19, 02:41 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Nice! Looks really nice in person with those photos. Rambler 45's make it look great too!
Old 11-16-19, 05:02 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Old 11-18-19, 10:06 PM
DarKris

Update: got my 650b wheels in. Theyíre 30mm wide internally and the 1.9 Gravelking SKs measures around 52mm at 40-45PSI. Should probably stretch a bit but even so the clearance is phenomenal.

Last edited by DarKris; 11-19-19 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For DarKris: