Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Steel All-road frames

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 09:42 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
It sucks that production steel bikes are generally so overbuilt these days, makes the "steel is real...heavy" thing a self-fulfilling prophecy. @Spoonrobot, could you say more about the "high value legal proceedings"? Where there some frame failures that have the manufacturers scared?

I remember a few posts in the Framebuilders forum about how the testing puts unusual forces on forks, but I'd have to dig.

Seems like you have to go vintage or custom to get lightweight steel...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-05-19 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-05-19, 11:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is the interview with Tom Ritchey, sorry I don't remember where the comments are re:ISO but it's worth a listen entirely if you have the time:
Thanks for the suggestion- ive seen it before. There is a frustratingly limited amount of worthwhile youtube content featuring Ritchey for someone who really loves the history of him/his company when put into context and comparison with the market.
Old 11-05-19, 12:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I don't think it's the frames that are the issue, it's the other items being updated and having an outsize effect. Like full-carbon forks for off-road bikes almost require an OS steerer to meet testing requires a OS headtube which requires a different TT/DT butting profile. All of which is stiffer and heavier. It's funny because the marketing for carbon road race bikes for so long was trumpeting "X% stiffer than last years model!" and now it's steel allroad bikes getting updated and the marketing is "Tapered steerer but it's just as compliant!"

I was thinking specifically of the Trek QR lawsuit, the Cannondale fork one that's currently in litigation and the nexus found to include Giant Taiwan in a domestic product liability case in the USA a few years ago. There was some wheel ejection lawsuit(s) as well but I can't remember enough pertinent info to find the ones I was thinking of. I don't have access to any closed source information just stuff that's out there in the open.
Ah, gotcha! I do think that preventing ejections is good enough reason to have a TA in front, as for the other stuff...

Kinda reminds me of hardware/software in computers: they develop faster processors and better memory to cope with more complex code, code bloats because it can, requiring better hardware...

FWIW, here's the thread I was thinking of with regard to tests driving heavier frames. I'm not sure it actually says what I thought it did, but I was getting frustrated when I couldn't find it right away. https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...-iso-test.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-05-19, 06:41 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Bros! did you all see the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 5.0? I'm in love!
https://bikepacking.com/news/rodeo-labs-flaanimal-5/
Old 11-06-19, 03:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/outback-frameset

So if you are now looking at steel frames with a carbon fork that are 'roadish' geometry like your Windsor- maybe this would work for you.

It clears 40mm tires, has a lower A-C than most gravel frames so it isnt as 'perched', the geometry definitely wont be upright riding, its relatively light overall, and the front end uses a 1 1/8 steerer instead of the large tapered steerers that are common now. The smaller steerer means a stiffer front end than your Windsor, but not as stiff as the 44mm or tapered head tubes on almost all other steel gravel frames. And geometry definitely is more road oriented with 72-23degree head tube angles, about 66mm of trail, and 73-74 degree seat tube angles.
Old 11-06-19, 04:44 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

So if you are now looking at steel frames with a carbon fork that are 'roadish' geometry like your Windsor- maybe this would work for you.

It clears 40mm tires, has a lower A-C than most gravel frames so it isnt as 'perched', the geometry definitely wont be upright riding, its relatively light overall, and the front end uses a 1 1/8 steerer instead of the large tapered steerers that are common now. The smaller steerer means a stiffer front end than your Windsor, but not as stiff as the 44mm or tapered head tubes on almost all other steel gravel frames. And geometry definitely is more road oriented with 72-23degree head tube angles, about 66mm of trail, and 73-74 degree seat tube angles.
The perfect retro-grouch bike. I'm in love!

(oops, no canti's. Can't have everything a retro-grouch wants).
Old 11-06-19, 08:59 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Yep. Totes agree. And have thought about it many times. When I find one of the teal framesets for sale at a good price I probably won't be able to say no.
Old 11-06-19, 09:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
OP, have a look at Gunnar. If you fit on their off-the-rack geometry, the frames are fairly reasonable and are available with steel or cf forks. And they have models to fit various "all road" tire sizes, right up to the Hyper-X which will take 700x42.

However, to jump on a theme others have started, that Hyper-X is a beefy frame. Mine is a 58 (custom geo) with 44mm headtube, T/As, and disc brakes, and it's both heavier and stiffer than expected.
Old 11-07-19, 07:59 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP, have a look at Gunnar. If you fit on their off-the-rack geometry, the frames are fairly reasonable and are available with steel or cf forks. And they have models to fit various "all road" tire sizes, right up to the Hyper-X which will take 700x42.

However, to jump on a theme others have started, that Hyper-X is a beefy frame. Mine is a 58 (custom geo) with 44mm headtube, T/As, and disc brakes, and it's both heavier and stiffer than expected.
Yeah I've looked at them several times and I don't think they're my jam. Thx tho!
Old 11-07-19, 03:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Part of me wishes I had kept the Tamland, that really was a fantastic bike.
Well, I've been unable to sell my size 56....
Old 11-07-19, 03:28 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, I've been unable to sell my size 56....
Selling bikes is so hard right now. The market is absolutely flooded.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-01-19, 07:16 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by dpicare26
I've been intrigued by BikesDirect 853 Gravel frameset.

Full Reynolds 853. Disc, thru axels, says capable of 700c*40.

Edit: Fork is Carbon
Man, if they offered the purple one in the build kit... whoooo boy
Old 12-01-19, 08:50 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Selling bikes is so hard right now. The market is absolutely flooded.
If you have a decentbike and ask a reasonable price I think good used bikes move quickly, especially a gravel bike. The Tariffs on new bikes are making the used ones look much more attractive..
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 12-01-19, 11:08 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
If you have a decentbike and ask a reasonable price I think good used bikes move quickly, especially a gravel bike. The Tariffs on new bikes are making the used ones look much more attractive..
Some gravel models are scarce right now. My shop told me they get at least one call per day asking if they have Rove ST's. Apparently Kona has them on backorder until April 2020.