Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Travel for gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 03:12 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Travel for gravel?

Used to be (when I was a kid) gravel/dirt roads were common around these parts. Now, not so much. For those of you who must travel for gravel rides, how far are you typically going? 20 miles? 30 miles? More?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 11-09-19, 03:21 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Used to be (when I was a kid) gravel/dirt roads were common around these parts. Now, not so much. For those of you who must travel for gravel rides, how far are you typically going? 20 miles? 30 miles? More?
30 miles for me for the closest decent gravel.
Old 11-09-19, 05:50 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It's a 1 hour drive for me to get to any decent gravel riding. For organized events, I will typically drive 2 to 4 hours to get to some nice hilly gravel routes.
Old 11-09-19, 06:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my limit is approx 2 hrs drive. was debating where to go & I chose the moderate distance. I want to do an overnight in a cheap motel to try some further places. hard to justify the cost of the room w/o Wifey tho. we've gone places together but I want to do more than she does

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-10-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 08:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
I am 6.5 mi from a western entrance to gravel. It's side roads and a MUP to get to hundreds of miles of gravel.
Or I am 7mi from a southern entrance to gravel. But that route is a couple miles of gravel, then a few miles of rural pavement, then hundreds of miles of gravel. Again its side roads and a MUPto get to the start.

15 miles to get northwest, 20 miles to get north, and 20 miles to get east.

If I ride after work, I will bring my bike and ride the north or eastern roads because I ride those the least.
If I ride from home, I will go west or south since those are closest. I will sometimes drive from my house, but its 20% of the time and it's to try out routes that are farther from me that I wouldnt normally ride.

West is hilly, south is hilly, east is hilly, north is flat and northwest is a mix of hilly and flat.
Old 11-09-19, 08:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Here in Pittsburgh in the spring all of our roads are blessedly returned to their natural gravel state until the paving trucks get funded again... After that there are a lot of gravel patches about an hour or just a bit more from the city on every main compass point...
Old 11-09-19, 08:58 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I guess we're lucky here, i just hop on my bike and ride a few miles into the county, and there is gravel everywhere!
Old 11-10-19, 03:45 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
A little under 2 hours for me to get to good gravel - but it's very very nice when I get there. Wish it were closer then I would get there more than a few times a year.
Old 11-10-19, 04:21 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I guess we're lucky here, i just hop on my bike and ride a few miles into the county, and there is gravel everywhere!
Same here. Nothing challenging in terms of accents and descents, just miles of rural gravel.
Old 11-10-19, 07:04 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
A little under 2 hours for me to get to good gravel - but it's very very nice when I get there. Wish it were closer then I would get there more than a few times a year.
I was just riding in SE Ohio today. Tons of gravel there!
Old 11-10-19, 07:37 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You guys from Iowa crack me up. I grew up in Burlington and at least back then, there were more gravel roads that paved roads. We used to hate riding gravel but could never completely avoid it because gravel roads were everywhere. Despite the latest craze, I can't imagine loading my bike on the car to seek out a gravel road. Especially since I live in Chicago now and don't think there's a gravel road within 50 miles other than the Des Plaines River Trail which is under water most of the time.
Old 11-10-19, 09:31 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Kinda lucky on this one. We live in Dallas, GA and can ride by bicycle from home a few miles and pick up some nice gravel, or chunky singletrack gravel if you prefer. There isn't tons of gravel close by, but there might be more as we have been here a year and a half , and I'm still exploring. A typical route with 30-40 miles could incorporate a fair amount of gravel. Some of it is rough, with deep ruts and potholes too. Makes for interesting night gravel rides.

Dave
Old 11-10-19, 11:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
You guys from Iowa crack me up. I grew up in Burlington and at least back then, there were more gravel roads that paved roads. We used to hate riding gravel but could never completely avoid it because gravel roads were everywhere. Despite the latest craze, I can't imagine loading my bike on the car to seek out a gravel road. Especially since I live in Chicago now and don't think there's a gravel road within 50 miles other than the Des Plaines River Trail which is under water most of the time.
Not sure why we crack you up.
Also not sure why you are posting in a forum you dislike(if unread your post correctly).

I grew up in winnetka/Arlington heights and still go into the W/SW burbs every few months. There is gravel just west of Aurora, so not near you but relatively accessible to millions in your area. Yeah most of what would be gravel in Chicagoland is just hardpack limestone trails.
Old 11-11-19, 03:25 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
I was just riding in SE Ohio today. Tons of gravel there!
Unfortunately I'm in SW Ohio - Cincinnati Area. Great place to live, but Zero gravel near by. Shawnee State Forest is my go to place in Ohio for gravel.
Old 11-11-19, 05:17 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Not sure why we crack you up.
Also not sure why you are posting in a forum you dislike(if unread your post correctly).
I guess it didn't come out right. I intended that as a compliment to Iowans. Gravel riding isn't some new thing in Iowa. Anyone from Iowa has been riding gravel as long as they've been cycling whether they like it or not. It's unavoidable because gravel roads are everywhere. As you say, hundreds of miles in every direction. What's new is guys from the suburbs loading their bikes up on their cars and driving so they can ride their bike on a gravel road. I've got nothing against gravel, and if I still lived in Iowa, I'd be riding gravel all day long, but driving my car specifically to ride my bike on a gravel road is not something I ever see myself doing unless it was for a race or some organized endurance ride.
Likes For kingston:
Old 11-11-19, 07:23 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Many cyclists, at least in the US in larger cities, pack up their bikes (road or gravel) to drive to safer areas to ride. I certainly wouldn't drive a couple of hours on a regular basis to ride gravel but I do drive ~35 minutes for decent gravel on weekends.
Old 11-11-19, 07:25 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Kinda lucky on this one. We live in Dallas, GA and can ride by bicycle from home a few miles and pick up some nice gravel, or chunky singletrack gravel if you prefer. There isn't tons of gravel close by, but there might be more as we have been here a year and a half , and I'm still exploring. A typical route with 30-40 miles could incorporate a fair amount of gravel. Some of it is rough, with deep ruts and potholes too. Makes for interesting night gravel rides.

Dave
I've on the east side of Atlanta. Do you happen to have a route file (RideWithGPS or just a gpx file) you can point me to? The main gravel I do is the Dirt Sheets Ride that's around Cochran Mills park. It's a 20 mile loop so works well
Old 11-11-19, 11:26 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by biketampa
I've on the east side of Atlanta. Do you happen to have a route file (RideWithGPS or just a gpx file) you can point me to? The main gravel I do is the Dirt Sheets Ride that's around Cochran Mills park. It's a 20 mile loop so works well
I've heard of the dirty sheets ride. Definitely can send you some loops. There's a couple of areas I enjoy doing gravel riding in. A lot of it is in Dallas. If you have a land pass for the Wilderness management areas, it is an added bonus (IIRC they are fairly inexpensive). There are a lot of gravel roads if you ride there (when it isn't hunting season). Will dig some up later tonight when I have a chance.

Only caveat is the dogs. Certain parts of the route have loose dogs and most likely will chase you. Definitely suggest carrying pepper spray just in case.

Dave
Old 11-11-19, 04:05 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've got one decent gravel loop about a 45 minute drive from my home in CT. My favorite gravel rides, though, I'm probably about 1 1/2 hour drive in different directions for different loops. Western CT/Kent, NW CT into SW MA, and then, North Central MA, starting in Greenfield. Parking in Greenfield, I ride north into southern VT and piece together different sections of the D2R2 routes for some amazing, albeit painfully hilly, rural gravel rides.
Old 11-11-19, 10:25 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by biketampa
I have a couple of gpx files put together, and can think of maybe one other route to add to it. If you don't mind, PM me with an email address, and I can send them over.

Dave
Old 11-12-19, 04:04 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
3 miles to a very wooded park on the edge of town that is fun for shorter rides 1.5 hours or less.
6 miles to better woods, gravel and singletrack that is better suited for rides of 2 hours +
Old 11-12-19, 08:27 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
A lot of gravel is a short bike ride on some chip seal from my driveway. I will travel for gravel though. My limit is I must ride the bike for 2x the time in the car. Most of my "drive to rides" include at least 6 hours of seat time so I'm good. I don't remember the last time I used my car to get to a place to ride on a real paved road.

+1 on dogs in rural areas. No one tethers their dogs in the rural country.

Last edited by u235; 11-12-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 09:02 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by u235
A lot of gravel is a short bike ride on some chip seal from my driveway. I will travel for gravel though. My limit is I must ride the bike for 2x the time in the car. Most of my "drive to rides" include at least 6 hours of seat time so I'm good. I don't remember the last time I used my car to get to a place to ride on a real paved road.

+1 on dogs in rural areas. No one tethers their dogs in the rural country.
ive been chased a few times. Luckily not been bitten. I’ve read carrying treats to toss at dogs can work. But I need to get some pepper spray in case I can’t get away
Old 11-14-19, 07:32 AM
tclong03

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I live small town Kansas 1 mile either way its all dirt roads to anywhere. Flat mostly but still dirt gravel roads. Then its just a little over a hour and I am on the dirty Kanza roads. Always disliked living here until we started doing this gravel thing.