Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Get off shot

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Get off shot

Old 11-14-19, 09:56 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts

Looks like the head tube came off the frame. I hope his front tire pressure was really low...
Old 11-14-19, 10:01 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Rim shattered, but the tire still shouldn't have come off -- not enough glue! In fact the tire may have come off first and that's what caused the crash.

If that's the finish line under their front wheels, then I'd guess the guy who crashed actually won!
Likes For bulgie:
Old 11-14-19, 10:07 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Maybe he rode out of it? Peter Sagan wouldn't have crashed!
Old 11-14-19, 11:52 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
I wish there was a photo of the exact moment when I was hauling ass, mashing down hard as I could on a 1936 Schwinn Excelsior, and right as my stronger right leg was initiating the forward downstroke, the chain snapped...

Longest flight I’ve ever taken outside of an airplane!
Old 11-15-19, 12:34 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I took that snowboard to Steamboat in spring 1985. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

Spring 1986 I take it to Killington, Vermont. Literally down the street from Burton. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

btw, back in 1985, Steamboat only had green and black-diamond mogul fields at the base of the mountain, no blues. Greens are boring so one night after they shut down, I walked that board to the top of a mogul field. Took me over an hour to do so, big run, steep, truly difficult. I found out quickly it is impossible to board moguls. Of course, being young and not too bright, I tried to do it twice. The second fall was epic and I paid for it for a week.

The trick to moguls on a snowboard is turning on the tops of them 😎👍
Old 11-15-19, 12:44 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Fonzi as a youngster.

Leading up to 'jumping the shark'.

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 11-15-19, 01:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Of course, being young and not too bright, I tried to do it twice. The second fall was epic and I paid for it for a week.

Ouch. I'm afraid to even ask what more happened. BTW: Curious if you still have the board, something for one of your offspring (pun) and to corrupt them. Lol

I still have an off-road wooden skateboard, very early type with small pneumatic tires, disc brakes / handle with bike brake lever connected by a dangling bicycle brake cable. Feet are attached by Velcro straps. Adjustable for goofy or regular.

Carving comes to learn early on the insane recreational transportation device but requires high speed to slide- gawdsaveyou rolling over the rough terrain.

Mind you, this is not like a push and go street skateboard as on level asphalt but rather strapped on, all about gravity and steep hard ground to always crash on. Its absolutely stoopid.

I gave most of my skateboards to the granddaughters (he-he). In hindsight, probably not a good idea. One now has a ramp to play in the neighborhood street. Anyways, missy athletic looked at the off-road board and I think thats close as she'll be allowed to having it.
Old 11-15-19, 01:19 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I took that snowboard to Steamboat in spring 1985. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

Spring 1986 I take it to Killington, Vermont. Literally down the street from Burton. Walked up to the gondola, operator asked, "What's that?" I said "snowboard." He said, "What do you do with it?" I say, "Strap on my feet and go down the hill." He said, "Not on this hill you don't."

btw, back in 1985, Steamboat only had green and black-diamond mogul fields at the base of the mountain, no blues. Greens are boring so one night after they shut down, I walked that board to the top of a mogul field. Took me over an hour to do so, big run, steep, truly difficult. I found out quickly it is impossible to board moguls. Of course, being young and not too bright, I tried to do it twice. The second fall was epic and I paid for it for a week.

There was a recent article -- I think it was on Outside -- about the last 2 "skis only" resorts in the U.S. Pretty fascinating. One of them was in California or Utah or something and was trying to cling to some sort notions of exclusivity. The other was in Vermont and is a co-op and the members steadfastly refuse to vote to allow boards.
Old 11-15-19, 02:12 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
There was a recent article -- I think it was on Outside -- about the last 2 "skis only" resorts in the U.S. Pretty fascinating. One of them was in California or Utah or something and was trying to cling to some sort notions of exclusivity. The other was in Vermont and is a co-op and the members steadfastly refuse to vote to allow boards.
The VT co-op is Mad River Glen. I used to live nearby. They also have one of the last single chairlifts in the country (that is, only one person per chair, no people sitting side by side). They prohibit snowboards because they do not groom the trails, and there is the perception that novices on snowboards often scrape the hill by sideslipping down steep bits and "ruin the snow" for everybody else. Novices on skis also do this, but *shrug* it's a free country I guess.

I skied there once, and it was fun and unique, and definitely cool in its anti-corporate stance - but I'm not picky and I'll ski pretty much anywhere. I was there for the Telemark festival. Their slogan is "ski it if you can" which I think really should belong to Cannon in NH, which in my estimation is the trickiest skiing around. Probably going to get bashed by Mad River loyalists now.

I wish I could contribute a shot of myself immediately pre- dislocating my shoulder on telemark skis to keep this thread on-topic, but alas camera phones were not as available back when I did a lot of that.
Old 11-15-19, 02:34 PM
bentaxle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The VT co-op is Mad River Glen.
Originally Posted by ksryder
One of them was in California or Utah or something and was trying to cling to some sort notions of exclusivity. The other was in Vermont and is a co-op and the members steadfastly refuse to vote to allow boards.
I think that Alta and Deer Valley in Utah are the others.

Ben Taxle
Old 11-15-19, 02:53 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The VT co-op is Mad River Glen. I used to live nearby. They also have one of the last single chairlifts in the country (that is, only one person per chair, no people sitting side by side). They prohibit snowboards because they do not groom the trails, and there is the perception that novices on snowboards often scrape the hill by sideslipping down steep bits and "ruin the snow" for everybody else. Novices on skis also do this, but *shrug* it's a free country I guess.

I skied there once, and it was fun and unique, and definitely cool in its anti-corporate stance - but I'm not picky and I'll ski pretty much anywhere. I was there for the Telemark festival. Their slogan is "ski it if you can" which I think really should belong to Cannon in NH, which in my estimation is the trickiest skiing around. Probably going to get bashed by Mad River loyalists now.

I wish I could contribute a shot of myself immediately pre- dislocating my shoulder on telemark skis to keep this thread on-topic, but alas camera phones were not as available back when I did a lot of that.
As a flatlander who has skied twice in my life I don't have a dog in the fight, but am amused when something that the rest of the world has clearly accepted is still banned in like one or two places.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 11-16-19, 08:43 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Bad day at the drome

Old 11-17-19, 07:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Fonzi as a youngster.

Leading up to 'jumping the shark'.

Fonzi!!!!!!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-17-19, 08:07 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...