Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottecchia Leggendaria

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottecchia Leggendaria

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 11:05 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
That's was why I originally bought my 2002 Bianchi Veloce although I never liked the TIG welded construction. At the time though it was not easy either to buy a new lugged frame or find them on eBay as I didn't know as much about how to do that. Today I would probably make a different choice.

I'm not one of those guys either. I was not fast when I was young and I'm not fast now. Maybe on one of those bikes with the electric motor hidden in the bottom bracket...

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
You can experience most of those advantages putting a modern drive train and brakes on a vintage steel frame. That is why these bikes are so cool. They look pretty too.

Edit: crank_addict is one of those guys. I witness him taking on the young CF racers on several occasions. I am not that guy. Not even on Carbon Fiber. LOL
Old 03-20-18, 11:12 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
That's was why I originally bought my 2002 Bianchi Veloce although I never liked the TIG welded construction. At the time though it was not easy either to buy a new lugged frame or find them on eBay as I didn't know as much about how to do that. Today I would probably make a different choice.

I'm not one of those guys either. I was not fast when I was young and I'm not fast now. Maybe on one of those bikes with the electric motor hidden in the bottom bracket...
I need one of those. Then I will join crank_addict on the A group ride. Until then, B group is fun. Stupid hills!

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 03-20-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-20-18, 11:18 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Agreed that it's pretty cool that companies like Bottecchia, Masi and Bianchi are making these new bikes that look kinda vintage-y. And I understand why someone would be drawn to them. I know for a fact that the Bianchi, which is a RC designated, hand built frame, is very nicely put together (I have one in storage for my grandson's 16th birthday present- he's almost 3 years old), and expect that the Botty pictured would be stunning in person.

My '88 did actually wind up costing just a smidge more than a quarter of the MSRP of the new bike. Paid what I would consider FMV, the knowledgeable seller was happy with the deal, and then swapped out virtually everything from the Campy CdA/Chorus group on it and replaced it with bits more to my liking and appropriate for where I live and where I ride.
Old 03-20-18, 07:51 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by mongol777
Even cheaper on Raleigh corp site with corp discount
Wow, $999. I have no space but im already thinking of ways to get this in the house past the wife...
Old 03-21-18, 05:25 AM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Wow, $999. I have no space but im already thinking of ways to get this in the house past the wife...
Haha - I am in the same boat. Checking it everyday and hoping they will sold out in my size :-)
Wife is understanding but I just spent most of my budget on All-City Gorilla Monsoon build. So preparing some frames and parts and bits for sale - if everything sells quickly I'd be very tempted.
Old 03-21-18, 09:57 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I purchased the 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria frameset last summer. Best purchase I've made in a long time. I went with just the frameset, as I still love my Campy Record 10 sp gruppo (2005) - it's the third bike for the gruppo! I must say that the fit and finish is very nice, AND it's made in Italy, unlike the inexspensive Raleigh replica stated earlier. That being said, I bought mine from Steel Vintage Bikes, out of Berlin. They shipped at a cheap cost. They also have complete bikes for $3,267 - which is a darn site better than $3,800.
Plus, they use the better looking Veloce crank.....if that means anything to you.
Old 03-22-18, 02:57 PM
samisoid

Bikes: never enough

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
1987 - SLX - C-Record -
1989-SLX-Athena-Dura-ace

Originally assembled in local bike shop with full Athena group.Gone through some component changes over the years.
Attached Images
Old 06-14-18, 06:34 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
So those in the know with Columbus tubing hierarchy, how does Columbus Spirit stack up compared to SLX and TSX? Is it inferior? Superior?

I've just got a old 89 SLX one I'm about to build up, and whilst I praise Bottecchia for making modern versions, I'm hoping to build my version up for a lot cheaper.
Old 06-15-18, 07:34 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
So those in the know with Columbus tubing hierarchy, how does Columbus Spirit stack up compared to SLX and TSX? Is it inferior? Superior?
Definitely not inferior. Superior? Maybe same net result, just newer and different. With the internal spiral ribbing, SLX was an improvement in strength over SL - particularly important if one is on the heavier side, and/or a powerful beast. As far as I know, Spirit is a newer light weight uber steel tube. Better or superior to SLX? hard to say. I say build up what you've got and don't second guess it. I have the new Spirit tubed Leggendaria, and love it. I don't have the same thing in SLX, so I can't compare.
Old 06-15-18, 12:02 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,057 Posts
This one is my size, in my neighborhood and a good price. Why am I not jumping all over it????
What is the significance of script vs block letters?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...614854975.html

Bottecchia Campagnolo Road Bike Commuter 23 1/2" 60cm frame - $475 (Cambridge nr Harvard/Porter Squares)

Old 06-15-18, 02:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
This one is my size, in my neighborhood and a good price. Why am I not jumping all over it????
What is the significance of script vs block letters?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...614854975.html

Bottecchia Campagnolo Road Bike Commuter 23 1/2" 60cm frame - $475 (Cambridge nr Harvard/Porter Squares)

If everything checks out as genuine on that frame, that is a great buy at that price.
BTW, script version is cooler looking than the block letter version, IMO, but I guess I am biased as my Chorus SL Bott has the script lettering on it.....
Old 06-15-18, 11:36 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by Ungaro
Definitely not inferior. Superior? Maybe same net result, just newer and different. With the internal spiral ribbing, SLX was an improvement in strength over SL - particularly important if one is on the heavier side, and/or a powerful beast. As far as I know, Spirit is a newer light weight uber steel tube. Better or superior to SLX? hard to say. I say build up what you've got and don't second guess it. I have the new Spirit tubed Leggendaria, and love it. I don't have the same thing in SLX, so I can't compare.
Thanks for the reply, sounds good. I was not sure if Columbus were using a lesser frame material to make it to a set price point, but it does not sound like it, which is good. You got a pic of yours? I'm also putting 10 speed Campagnolo on mine and can't wait to get out on it in the sunshine, these bikes really dazzle, happy riding
Old 06-16-18, 07:32 AM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Thanks for the reply, sounds good. I was not sure if Columbus were using a lesser frame material to make it to a set price point, but it does not sound like it, which is good. You got a pic of yours? I'm also putting 10 speed Campagnolo on mine and can't wait to get out on it in the sunshine, these bikes really dazzle, happy riding
Here you go. In no particular order. Brakes are from my 1999 Record 9 speed gruppo. Shifters & RD from my 2005 gruppo. Wanted to keep the carbon minimal, so I put a Centaur UT crank on it (UT rocks...). Wheels are 2005 Eurus. I like the care they took in finishing the frame, and love that it is made in Italy. Rides like a dream: it’s fast, smooth, responsive & comfy. BTW, I ditched the Deda stem - it was too flexy and made in Taiwan. Found a NOS 3ttt Pro Chrome, and it is superb.

Old 06-16-18, 02:24 PM
rccardr 

Very nice. I think you might want to shorten up both sections of the rear brake housing, though. Love the FD, it fits in well!
Old 06-17-18, 12:23 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Very nice. I think you might want to shorten up both sections of the rear brake housing, though. Love the FD, it fits in well!
Agreed, and the modern Centaur crank is actually retro-looking enough to not jump out too much on such a wildly retro looking chrome and two-tone frame. OTOH, of all the super-ugly 4-arm cranksets out there nowadays, the silver Potenza in the first post is probably the least super ugly.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-17-18, 04:47 AM
botty kayer

Thanks for posting Ungaro, I can see a few differences on the frames from the originals, but wow that is still a very pretty bicycle, good work
Old 06-17-18, 08:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't know if the pricing has changed since the original posting, but I calculate the Raleigh at about 40% the cost of the Bottecchia, not 25%. I think the price difference is justified. Most of it it is in the extensive chrome, which is very expensive these days due the manual preparation and environmental safeguards.

Regarding Spirit versus SLX and TSX, the former is made from a higher strength alloy and employs thinner walls. Consequently, it is significantly lighter. To compensate for the loss in rigidity due to the lighter gauges, the tubes are oversize. This is likely one of the reasons for the lack of lug cutouts. Most steel frames are TIG welded these days and the lug selection for Spirit's oversize tubes is relatively limited. Producing dedicated lugs with cutouts would have led to a price increase. Similarly, the absence of internal rear brake cable routing in favour of external cable stops, is almost certainly another cost concession to keep the target price down.

On a side note, it's great to see Kommisar89 back, after a long absence from the forums.
Old 06-17-18, 12:04 PM
rccardr 

Just FYI for anyone interested, these frames are being sold out of a shop in Las Vegas for about $1999 shipped in the US.
Old 06-18-18, 02:30 PM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Added goodies

I mentioned that I dumped the Deda Murex stem and replaced it with a 3ttt Pro Chrome. Also came across a pantographed C Record seatpost. Well, I had to have it!

Last edited by Ungaro; 06-18-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 01:20 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new road bike this spring (bonus comes through in Mar). No racing, mainly group rides with friends. I'm considering going with a modern aero disc bike but the aesthetics of bikes from back when I was racing just appeal to me more. Chromed lugs and rear triangle, external cabling, BSA BB, 27.2 seatpost, quill stem... this Bottecchia has all the things I prefer. It helps that I absolutely love the look of this bike, Bottechia's were some of the best looking frames back in the 80s IMO. Steel Vintage Bikes is quoting me $2,705 shipped for a Leggendaria with a Potenza build. Since I'm looking at $5K aero bikes, I'd love to save some money and get something I like better. SVB's build is different than the standard build Bottecchia is offering: no-name seat post, stem and bars, Khamsin wheels, SSM Regal saddle.

Has anyone ridden this bike? The geometry looks pretty classic, how does it ride? Anything you'd change? If I were to go with this bike, I'd have budget to swap the stem and bars for retro-modern Cinelli stuff and put some skinwall Vittorias on there. The wheels might need an upgrade as well. This bike speaks to my heart, I can't help it. I put in about 6k road miles a year and one other road bike, so this bike would be used a lot. Is this a stupid decision, should I just get something modern?
Old 01-05-19, 11:52 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm looking to buy a new road bike this spring (bonus comes through in Mar). No racing, mainly group rides with friends. I'm considering going with a modern aero disc bike but the aesthetics of bikes from back when I was racing just appeal to me more. Chromed lugs and rear triangle, external cabling, BSA BB, 27.2 seatpost, quill stem... this Bottecchia has all the things I prefer. [...]
Either (A) what Chombi1 said:

Originally Posted by Chombi1
$4K for a "retro bike"?? I don't get it....Why not find the real thing for a fraction of the cost and GENUINE C&V??
Or (B) for less than [what I'd guess is] the price of a new Bottecchia frame, I could have a frame made to order, just for me. Designed for disk brakes if I wanted them. Designed for my weight, painted according to my (perhaps dubious) taste in colours, and with the decals as subtle or gaudy as I liked.
Old 01-06-19, 04:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Original is still best. Have owned this one since new. I changed the groupset when spare parts for the old Campy group got too expensive and hard to find.

Old 01-06-19, 05:17 PM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm looking to buy a new road bike this spring (bonus comes through in Mar). No racing, mainly group rides with friends. I'm considering going with a modern aero disc bike but the aesthetics of bikes from back when I was racing just appeal to me more. Chromed lugs and rear triangle, external cabling, BSA BB, 27.2 seatpost, quill stem... this Bottecchia has all the things I prefer. It helps that I absolutely love the look of this bike, Bottechia's were some of the best looking frames back in the 80s IMO. Steel Vintage Bikes is quoting me $2,705 shipped for a Leggendaria with a Potenza build. Since I'm looking at $5K aero bikes, I'd love to save some money and get something I like better. SVB's build is different than the standard build Bottecchia is offering: no-name seat post, stem and bars, Khamsin wheels, SSM Regal saddle.

Has anyone ridden this bike? The geometry looks pretty classic, how does it ride? Anything you'd change? If I were to go with this bike, I'd have budget to swap the stem and bars for retro-modern Cinelli stuff and put some skinwall Vittorias on there. The wheels might need an upgrade as well. This bike speaks to my heart, I can't help it. I put in about 6k road miles a year and one other road bike, so this bike would be used a lot. Is this a stupid decision, should I just get something modern?
Yes, I have ridden and continue to ride the new one. See my posts above. What did I change? I changed the flexy Deda stem. It's not good quality and does not feel secure out of the saddle, so, don't worry about the seat post and stem. SVB is a good firm to work with - I have had good luck with them, and they do offer great pricing.

Now, for all those claiming that you should save money and get an original frames, theres that to consider, HOWEVER....does the vintage frameset have 130mm spacing? No, it will be 126mm. Do you want to "cold set" the rear and take that chance? That's up to you. How solid is the vintage frameset? In other words, how ragged out is it? Do you know who rode it, and how many miles were logged on it? Then there's "yeah, but the new Columbus tubing isn't as good as SL or SLX....uh huh.. yeah, well, just check out the specs on Spirit tubing and get back with me on that.

I'm loving my new Leggendaria, and can go head to head with guys on carbon under bikes, frustrating the hell out of them because I'm on a "heavy steel" number. It's you that you have to satisfy, nobody else.
Old 01-06-19, 10:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
@Ungaro, my 1989 Bottecchia SLX Professional has 130 mm spacing, there was no need to cold set it in order to put the new 11 speed drivetrain.

I have a new edition Colnago Master. There is a distinct different feeling between Columbus SLX tubing and the newer versions of Columbus steel.

Glad you are enjoying your new Bottecchia. I think it is a beautiful looking bike...oh yeah, it looks just like mine.
Old 01-07-19, 06:14 AM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
@Ungaro, my 1989 Bottecchia SLX Professional has 130 mm spacing, there was no need to cold set it in order to put the new 11 speed drivetrain.

I have a new edition Colnago Master. There is a distinct different feeling between Columbus SLX tubing and the newer versions of Columbus steel.

Glad you are enjoying your new Bottecchia. I think it is a beautiful looking bike...oh yeah, it looks just like mine.
1989 did you say? I'm sorry, I use the Eroica standards of pre-1987, but that's me. Would love to see a picture of your Colnago - I had considered one of those as well. Regarding the ride feel of the Colnago, could it be the different geometry? Colnagos are famous for the "low and long" nature of the frames. Truly, the only way of comparing the steel tubes is to get a CV version and an identical new one and compare side to side. BTW, why didn't you just get a CV Colnago?

There are more than a few reasons that cause someone to buy a new "classic" over an older one (witness your Colnago). Myself, I have a 1971 Raleigh Pro Mk III and a 1971 Raleigh Pro Track. I like gears to much to make the Pro Track my daily rider (and usually save it for winter fixed gear work), and the Mk III has been in my family since 1972 and racked up countless miles. I've also worn out more than a couple of frames, so when I make a comment about knowing the provenance of vintage frames, it comes from a perspective of realizing what someone expects to do with said frame. I've you want a CV for your main ride, it's nice to get a low mileage one. Myself, I picked up a questionable Bianchi CDI frame (less fork) for nothing, with the goal of making it my Eroica bike, and therefore saving my Mk III from the abuses of travel and gravel roads, because, well, that Mk III has sentimental value.

Another thing to consider when counseling someone to buy CV over new is frame size - can they get one that they need, when they want it? Of course, it's like anything - the moment you pull the trigger on something, dozens of options come out of the wood work (thank you, Mr. Murphy). In late spring of 2017, I saw zero CV Bottechias on the market. Now, one crops up every so often. One is currently offered in my size, but for $899, plus shipping. Well, I paid $1,250 delivered for my new one with zero miles on it, and for me it made sense at the time and still does.

YMMV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.