Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Nutrition on a Ride

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Nutrition on a Ride

Old 09-01-19, 09:40 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Just posting to note my experience from yesterday. Did 96 miles, got up and had 2 slices of bread (140 calories) with some light jam on it and a coffee. On the bike I had a bottle with SIS beta fuel (340 calories) and another bottle with Nuun and during my ride used 3 SIS gels (3x90 calories) and stopped at a popular general store for a halftime cookie. So in total, I had maybe 1200 calories between breakfast and the ride. The ride itself was a steady endurance ride, 3355 kj of work as measured by my power meter (so about 3355 calories) with a normalized power of 208w (intensity factor of 0.67).

I really do wonder how much of the issues folks have with tiredness on long rides is from nutrition versus fitness and their ability to sustain efforts for extended periods of time?
I think nutrition really plays a way bigger part than I ever imagined. I did a ride report on the Long Distance Forum.

TL;DR

I ate 300 cal/hr starting at 15 mins with carb load dinner and breakfast. friend ate sporadically and had minimal dinner, no breakfast. He bonked hard, I didn’t bonk at all with no noticeable loss of performance at 92 miles. He was dead at 50.
Old 09-03-19, 08:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Great info here, folks. Thank you. I'm a sweep marshal on a century ride this coming Sunday. I'll bring lots of food with me. I'm not really conditioned for a long ride, so this will help.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-06-19, 01:21 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I tour the logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario Canada I eat dried fruits and nuts during the ride and drink plenty of water. The adage, "Drink before you're thirsty, eat before you're hungry" really holds true on longer rides or heavy effort rides. One time I was touring with two buddies who did not nibble on the ride and they bonked. Unfortunately where they stopped in order to eat something was heavily populated by black flies and so we continued to ride. The next day they too began to nibble on dried fruits and nuts and were able to ride with a lot more enjoyment.

Cheers
Old 09-08-19, 11:51 AM
Tulok

Originally Posted by Miele Man
When I tour the logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario Canada I eat dried fruits and nuts during the ride and drink plenty of water. The adage, "Drink before you're thirsty, eat before you're hungry" really holds true on longer rides or heavy effort rides. One time I was touring with two buddies who did not nibble on the ride and they bonked. Unfortunately where they stopped in order to eat something was heavily populated by black flies and so we continued to ride. The next day they too began to nibble on dried fruits and nuts and were able to ride with a lot more enjoyment.

Cheers
I believe it! Great story.
Old 09-10-19, 11:41 PM
Tulok

@noglider

do you have anything relevant to report?
Old 09-11-19, 05:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I make my own sugar free lemon water every day for my gout. Works great and I can now drink alcohol and eat meat w/o gout attacks. If I’m traveling I may resort to having one if the more healthy commercial lemonades. But not for an on ride simple carb - I’d rather go with a muscle milk cuz it has more to it and lasts longer- also a snickers bar doesn’t hurt. I started a thread about gas station emergency snacks a long time ago - was interesting hear about other ppl’s choices
Old 09-11-19, 05:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulok
@noglider

do you have anything relevant to report?
Haha, thank you for your interest. Well, I wasn't organized on Saturday. I was exhausted from my kid's wedding which was Friday. All I brought were two bananas. I put a little orange juice and some salt in one of my two bottles. The ride offered snacks at the rest stops, things like bananas, oranges, pb&j sandwiches, and granola bars. I subsisted on them. I did fine. In fact, even though I was apprehensive about how I would fare, I felt pretty fresh at the end. I ran out of time, as I had to take my daughter to the airport, so I rode "only" 87 miles.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-19, 10:02 PM
Tulok

Originally Posted by noglider
Haha, thank you for your interest. Well, I wasn't organized on Saturday. I was exhausted from my kid's wedding which was Friday. All I brought were two bananas. I put a little orange juice and some salt in one of my two bottles. The ride offered snacks at the rest stops, things like bananas, oranges, pb&j sandwiches, and granola bars. I subsisted on them. I did fine. In fact, even though I was apprehensive about how I would fare, I felt pretty fresh at the end. I ran out of time, as I had to take my daughter to the airport, so I rode "only" 87 miles.
Hey, that sounds good to me! Thanks for reporting back!