Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Show us your Rail Trails, Hiking Trails, Cycling Paths, etc.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-26-15, 07:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Victoria ... where we used to live ... has a decent collection of rail trails. A person can get get onto one and cycle to the next town or further without encountering a motor vehicle along the way. Except maybe at an intersection. We used to live on the longest rail trail in Victoria ... the Great Victorian Rail Trail (134 km), and would use a small part of it in the evenings for a short ride, or a longer part on the weekends. We visited the area over Easter and rode parts of the trail two of the days we were there.

So this got me to thinking ... what sort of trails do you have in your area?

[HR][/HR]
This website shows the rail trails in Victoria, and if you click the links on the left sidebar, you'll see the rail trails in other States as well:

Victoria: https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...tions/victoria

[HR][/HR]
Down here in Tasmania, there aren't quite as many as Victoria, or as long, but we ride the Hobart Intercity Cycleway (15.6km) quite regularly: https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...tions/tasmania

This site is quite interesting in that it shows trails for a number of car-free activities - walking, cycling, horse riding:
Greater Hobart Trails | Bush walking, bike riding, mountain biking, horse riding and urban tracks in Hobart, Kingborough, Derwent Valley, Clarence, Glenorchy & Brighton, Tasmania Australia

Select Cycling and Hobart ... and you get a page of trails:
Find a track | Cycling | Hobart | Greater Hobart Trails

We've done the Cycleway, of course, but also the Fern Tree to Silver Falls and the Pipeline Track (those two connect, so we did them in one day). Those two are really pretty, and I hope to do them again soon.

Select Walking ... and there are a whole bunch of walking tracks as well, several of which we can walk to from home. We did one of the trails one evening about a month ago, and as dusk was falling we walked through a reserve which I was previously unaware of, and it was thick with pademelons.

Tassie Trails is another website that provides info about a few mtn bike trails around the State:
Tassie Trails

Last edited by Machka; 01-17-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-26-15, 07:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tasmania is known as a walking/hiking location ...

The Parks Department has put together information for long and short walks.

60 Great Short Walks: Parks & Wildlife Service - 60 Great Short Walks

Great Walks: Parks & Wildlife Service - Great Walks

We've walked all or part of several of these.

Discover Tasmania (the official tourism site) also has information on the local walks ...
Walking - Discover Tasmania
Old 04-27-15, 08:36 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Our Rivertrail system is now 18 miles long with zero automobile interaction. It's scenic enough for pleasure rides, and the routing is practical for true transportation across the city. And bald eagles are now nesting on it!

lansingrivertrail.org | Lansing River Trail

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-27-15, 05:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Boston as a compact East Coast urban environment has a nice set of bikepaths that connect the downtown area through the midtown as it were, and out to the residential neighborhoods and inner suburbs, providing utilitarian byways for cycle commuting or recreation, though these paths are not completely connected. These include:
  • the Paul Dudley White bikepath named for Dwight Eisenhower's personal cardiologist and an early advocate of exercise for cardiac fitness. It follows both sides of the Charles River (“Love that Dirty Water”), with scenic views of the Boston and Cambridge skylines.

• the Southwest Corridor (Pierre Lallement) bike path through residential neighborhoods named for the inventor of the modern bicycle who died in Boston in obscurity, in the late 1800’s.

• the Jamaica Pond Bikepath also through residential neighborhoods and passing the restful Jamaica Pond

• the Minuteman Bikepath through pleasant suburbs of Arlington to Lexington, and on to Bedford passing by the Lexington Town Green, site of the first skirmish of the Revolutionay War. Many nice photos are found on the local regional thread, Metro Boston: Good ride today?

ADDENDUM: See also this description.

• The Minuteman Historical Site, as described by me:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
    …The adventuresome part began in Lexington where we were directed onto the Minuteman Historic National Park. This is a 5 mile long roughly-paved to hard pack to slightly sandy trail with historic makers. It traces the path the British took to return to Boston from the fights at Lexington and Concord. There are signs that are marked by descriptions of, and the time of day that various skirmishes occurred during the march. I had never been there and I switched from tour guide to tourist along with the others…

Also a few historic houses and visitor centers are along the route, such as the Capt. Wiliam Smith House pictured below. The family tended to a mortally wounded British soldier for his last few days and he gave them gold sovereign he had hidden in his coat. Captain Smith was cousin of Abigail Adams. While riding the trail, we saw a demonstration of how the Minutemen loaded and fired their muskets.

…A few miles before the end of the ride we rode over the Old North Bridge where “Here once the embattled farmers stood / And fired the shot heard round the world.”
  • Other including including Cape Cod: Cape Cod is a premier and historic resort destination, and several nice bikepaths are scattered about including paths along the sand dunes and ocean, and a 26 mile Cape Cod Rail Trail.

PS: For the past two years we have had one of the Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Rides in Boston encompassing a weekend of cycling on the paths, walks in Boston, as well as a Saturday sub-ex-urban Ride in conjunction with a local cycling advocacy group, MassBike, usually the last weekend in July. Notice for this year will be posted on the Fifty-Plus Forum.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-28-15 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added ADDENDUM
Old 04-27-15, 08:11 PM
Troggie

Bikes: State Bicycles Trooper 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

All the parks have different level of hiking/biking trails. I normally ride and hike in San Tan Regional Park and Usery Mountain Regional Park. There are many more parks that Federal or local government that are not on here as well.
Old 08-05-15, 07:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Have you been riding or hiking any trails in your area or other areas over your summer holidays this year?
Old 08-05-15, 07:43 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Washington has the John Wayne trail that has about 300 miles overall (various names and a little argument what parts count). Over the mountain pass you go through some tunnels, one is 2 1/2 miles long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (70.0 KB, 561 views)
image.jpg (94.8 KB, 558 views)
image.jpg (101.8 KB, 558 views)
image.jpg (89.8 KB, 554 views)
image.jpg (101.1 KB, 560 views)
Old 08-13-15, 12:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Washington has the John Wayne trail that has about 300 miles overall (various names and a little argument what parts count). Over the mountain pass you go through some tunnels, one is 2 1/2 miles long.
Beautiful area!

Actually that has inspired me ... when we go to Canada, we go to BC. Washington isn't that far from BC. We might have to check this out next time we go.
Old 08-13-15, 01:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Beautiful area!

Actually that has inspired me ... when we go to Canada, we go to BC. Washington isn't that far from BC. We might have to check this out next time we go.
I rode it out to Ellensburg this summer. Put the bike on the Amtrak Cascades, got off in Downtown Seattle and rode on the Mountains-to-Sound path, and another MUP or two 'til hitting the first bit of gravel outside of Issaquah, then some more paved action before hitting the first John Wayne trail sign.

Train was about half an hour late, so the bike and I deboarded the train but were unable to catch a bus to Issaquah. Oh well, 16.5 miles extra fun on a MUP or two we woulda skipped, should be fun!

I was hoping to make it to my originally planned first campsite but the eastern sky was already getting light, so I unfurled a tarp and a sleeping bag, figuring a nice 4-hour nap under the stars. No dice. So many skeeters I think I only slept about a half hour total before rolling up and rolling out. I get about two miles down the trail and BAM! Oops, musta missed a turn.

Back on track! Singletrack, that is. Nice little diversion to route around a missing trestle.

I had to transfer from one MUP to another. To avoid roads as much as possible I cut through TPC Snoqualmie Ridge. Caddie bro says “Amazing view, isn’t it? I wake up to that every morning!”
It’s a little hazy out here cuzza the fires.

The next MUP kinda petered out in Snoqualmie proper, so a little road riding was done past Snoqualmie Station and beyond.

Then rolled past a super hazy Mt. Si. A lot of Twin Peaks footage was shot in this area.

Finally got to the rail trail I’ve been wanting to ride, the John Wayne Pioneer Trail! Broke out the campstove here and had some pasta with tuna. I wasn’t as prepared as I thought I was for riding a bicycle up 26 miles (maybe a slight exaggeration) of 2% grade (seemed steeper at times), but that realization wouldn’t come for a few more hours.

The John Wayne Trail out to Ellensburg is pretty awesome! (mostly) Partial shade keeps it somewhat cool even in the middle of summer. I still had to take a nap in a shady campsite from 3-5, since I had almost no sleep the night before and it was just too hot! As I was rolling up camp, I met a dude who had ridden it out to where it meets the Columbia River last summer and he said it was a lot of soft sand out in the Army area (US Army Yakima Training Center). I decided to call an audible on my route plan and just go to Ellensburg.

The Snoqualmie Tunnel was much spookier than I’d anticipated. 2.3 miles of darkness and dripping water. Sure glad I got to it before night fall. When I went into it there was a father and two sons with no lights exiting it. Either they just went in a few yards and U-turned or they got nerves of steel! The east end was super foggy when I went through. Kinda hard to tell in the pic but fog is just pouring out of the opening.

Dropped in to Hyak to use the bathroom and I was about ready to move in. OMG, electric lights, hot and cold running water and flush toilets? This place has everything!
I probably shoulda just stayed there because just after Hyak there’s I dunno, maybe 4 miles of DEEP fresh gravel. I was about a mile into it when I come across a campground, so I stop, but I don’t wanna camp there cuz it’s prime riding time, maybe a couple of hours ’til sundown. I was so hot, tired and confused I just kinda stared at the map there and fiddled with one of the campground pay envelopes, even started filling it out, but would then look at the map and then at the crappy deep gravel. Eventually a woman emerges from the woods, says she and her husband are headed the opposite direction as I am. We both cry a bit about the gravel and ask how much more of it we have to endure. She said there’s about two miles of it left for me, I tell her only about a mile for them. They’d been touring for about 6 months, South America on up. They were about to move to Seattle and that was the endpoint of their tour. I decide that I have to kill off as much of that deep gravel mileage as I can and push on…

Found a great non-sanctioned campsite. All moss – so plush, slept like a baby. Got up, had some tasty rice and tuna and hit the trail. At one point I stopped at a gate and changed shirts, snacked and whatnot. Apparently left my helmet on the gate, cuz approx 7.5 miles later I went to put my shades back on and thought “Hmm, that was way to easy. Dammit, I don’t have a helmet on.” I shoulda just forgotten it but naww, how far back could it be???

Old 08-13-15, 01:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Oh well onward and upward…

Getting into the dry side of the state now. The Milwaukee Road was electric, so they had power stations here and there to keep the juice flowing.

There was a BBQ joint in the adjacent Cle Elum Station but I didn’t eat there – had to keep hammering before the real heat of the day struck. Stopping for pics was enough...
Next set of tunnels required that you sign a liability release, cuz rocks fall from the walls from time to time. Glad I went back for my helmet!!!

Didn’t really get any pics in Ellensburg. Spent the night there in a Motel, checked out at 11. Killed some time strolling around CWU, had a burger in the student union and eventually caught a bus down to Yakima. Scored some Mobil-1 out of an auto parts store trashcan and lubed up the chain real nice, watched some dude play guitar at the street fair. One bank sign said 108°. The heat was brutal so I didn’t hit the road ’til about a half hour before sunset. Even then I made sure I had a full complement of 5 litres water (shoulda brought capacity for 7 litres), and totally soaked my hair and jersey.
Here’s the cut I’d be cruising through about an hour later, onto the reservation.

All highway miles for a while. Not many people on the Res keep their dogs in fenced areas, so I had to deal with 3 packs of dogs when I went on an off-highway shortcut. It was pretty much full moon so riding at night was awesome! I kept going almost all the way to Goldendale. Unfortunately US 97 on the way to Goldendale has a pretty brutal hill on it.
I grabbed a nice spot to camp by the highway, unfortunately HWY 97 never sleeps, so I didn’t sleep all that well and was up with the sun. Leisurely coast into Goldendale, had to skip some of the logging roads I wanted to hit, since they were closed due to fire danger. But eventually hit some of South Central Washington’s finest gravel.

Old 08-13-15, 03:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Thanks for that trip report @LesterOfPuppets ... sounds like quite the adventure, and great photos!

I especially like this one for some reason ... just appeals to me.

Old 08-13-15, 04:24 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 850 Posts
Here's a link to the alleged system, which is not really there. It's about half built, and some of the 'finished' trails are not paved, so... But some of what we do have is very nice.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stati...Connectors.pdf

The Jax-Baldwin trail offers plenty of shade and natural beauty close to town.

Lake Okeechobee trail offers a 100 mile loop, free camping, a constant view of the lake, and frequent access to stores without hindrance from traffic.

My favorite is the Nature Coast trail. It is very scenic and shady. The trail runs through the woods in the middle of nowhere, with some great parks and natural springs along the way.

Old 08-13-15, 07:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We used to live on the longest rail trail in Victoria ... the Great Victorian Rail Trail (134 km), and would use a small part of it in the evenings for a short ride, or a longer part on the weekends. We visited the area over Easter and rode parts of the trail two of the days we were there.
This is part of the Great Victorian Rail Trail ... that's the trail in front of me (obviously) and it swings around to the right and gently downhill. The little red dot you can barely see in the distance is Rowan ...

A tunnel on the trail ... it does get very dark in there!

Some more of the trail ...
Old 08-13-15, 08:07 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
There's a newly completed green belt trail outside Toronto (official "launch" this weekend!) that I hope to sample during a few days off in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post some pics or link to a video at the end of the month. Full disclosure - I'll have to drive there.

for some reason I can't open the link to the Greenbelt trail but here's a magazine article about it. People may also be interested in the magazine (Dandyhorse), but it's mainly aimed for Toronto cyclists.
Greenbelt Route launches this month: Ontario cycle tourism gets a boost | dandyhorse magazine

hopefully the trail website is down due to massive interest!

Last edited by cooker; 08-13-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 02:28 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by cooker
There's a newly completed green belt trail outside Toronto (official "launch" this weekend!) that I hope to sample during a few days off in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post some pics or link to a video at the end of the month. Full disclosure - I'll have to drive there...for some reason I can't open the link to the Greenbelt trail
Turns out some security feature at my temporary jobsite didn't like the greenbelt website.

It looks like it is mostly just ordinary rural roads. The only major part that is truly a trail is the Caledon Trail I have previously reported on. Pales in comparison to Quebec's Route Verte which is much more on former rail beds.

Still, I'll check out part of it next week and report back
Old 08-18-15, 10:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
Turns out some security feature at my temporary jobsite didn't like the greenbelt website.

It looks like it is mostly just ordinary rural roads. The only major part that is truly a trail is the Caledon Trail I have previously reported on. Pales in comparison to Quebec's Route Verte which is much more on former rail beds.

Still, I'll check out part of it next week and report back
Have you cycled Quebec's Route Verte?

I'm interested in doing it one day.
Old 08-19-15, 07:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

There's an interesting little article about the National Cycle Network in Cycling Weekly

National Cycle Network brings £650m to UK economy, study suggests - Cycling Weekly

Sustrans | Join the movement

About the National Cycle Network | Sustrans

We've cycled parts of the National Cycle Network and would go back and cycle more if the opportunity presented itself.
Old 08-19-15, 07:27 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Have you cycled Quebec's Route Verte?

I'm interested in doing it one day.
No. it's actually a huge network of roads, rail-beds and park paths, not just one trail, so you could probably go several times. Personally, I haven't toured anywhere (yet, I hope) and have only gone on day rides, mostly in southern Ontario where I live or northwestern and north-central Ontario where I sometimes consult.
Old 08-20-15, 11:56 AM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schuylkill River Trail | Schuylkill River Trail

Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Perkiomen Trail

ExplorePATrails.com

ExplorePATrails.com

Last edited by 09box; 08-20-15 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding more links
Old 08-21-15, 08:32 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreat...l-bosque-trail
Old 08-22-15, 06:32 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Next set of tunnels required that you sign a liability release, cuz rocks fall from the walls from time to time. Glad I went back for my helmet!!!
I would expect to open that box and have a lawyer's head pop out.
Old 08-26-15, 06:09 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Great Allegheny Passage - www.gaptrail.org

I have not done this but it's on my to do.

Would starting a thread on fire roads be worthwhile?
Old 08-28-15, 11:48 PM
surfmonkey89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@LesterOfPuppets - what a great trip!

I have a question for you. I've been debating between a cyclocross/adventure type road bike, versus a flat-bar bike. One of the main scenarios for me is to be able to ride the types of trails you talk about and photograph as part of your trip. Do you think those trails could have been done with a cyclocross type bike?
Old 08-29-15, 03:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
@LesterOfPuppets - what a great trip!

I have a question for you. I've been debating between a cyclocross/adventure type road bike, versus a flat-bar bike. One of the main scenarios for me is to be able to ride the types of trails you talk about and photograph as part of your trip. Do you think those trails could have been done with a cyclocross type bike?
Certainly. I'd probably want 40mm tires at least - I was riding with 1.75" Michelin Country Rock tires and they did well except in that soft section, which woulda required 3"+ tires to really ride effectively, but I wouldn't want 3" tires for the rest of the route. CX bikes often don't have rack mounts, etc, but an adventure touring bike would be pretty sweet.

Next time I ride it I'll probably have drop bars on one of my MTBs.
Old 08-29-15, 05:29 PM
surfmonkey89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live outside of Seattle, so it sounds like I could easily do a day trip up through the tunnel on the pass as long as I have big-ish tires on a road bike. Put that on the list for next summer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.