Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Marking pavement ruts and holes with paint

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-21-16, 09:35 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to mark some ruts and holes on a ride I lead, primarily on sections where it's downhill (so we're going fast) and/or there's enough traffic to be distracting. The picture below is one example.

The "how to" seems obvious, but I've learned there is often practical advice to be gathered here, so these are my ideas:
  • Use a bright color lane marking paint can - they are designed to spray upside down ($6.50 for Krylon, $7.50 for Ace)
  • Spray the inside edge (it will last the longest, since few tires will abrade it)
  • Circle the problem area so a cyclist will easily know what to avoid
  • Do this after the roads have had at least a day to dry
PS - I will also be doing a few direction markers on a VERY twisty road that has numerous paved driveways that are easy to mistake. Several people complained last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4reduced to 20 pct.jpg (97.0 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-21-16, 09:38 PM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe check with the city/county first?

The main rec trails are marked in this way in my area, but I don't know who was responsible: a concerned citizen, or the county. Probably the city or county.
Old 09-21-16, 09:45 PM
Kaminokaze

Bikes: Cevelo R5, Spyder Bike, Fuji Rubaix Pro,Gary Fisher Sugar

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have painted many potholes and larger cracks

All in the name of safety!! I often carry a can of paint in my second bottle cage. I stop and paint I see fit. Many of the potholes and cracks have be repaired after I point out where the danger spots are.

I would not paint direction markings. I strictly do to for safer cycling.
Old 09-21-16, 09:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Don't interfere with utility markings.
Old 09-21-16, 09:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Use white paint. Fluorescent colors fade very quickly. White will last a very long time, especially in the shade. You can buy upside down marking paint, it's made for marking on the road. What I do is circle the pothole (with some paint bleeding into the sides of the pothole), and then just before the hole I'll put 2 or 3 "chevrons". That seems to be the most visible way to mark them.
Old 09-21-16, 10:01 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You should also consider painting around any above ground humps that can take out a rider or do a lot of damage to wheel rims. I've seen some of these circles and did not realize it was private citizens doing this for me. Much appreciated!
Old 09-21-16, 10:03 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
there's a spraypaint fairy in Santa Barbara who is constantly on the lookout for pavement eruptions, sinkholes and asteroid strikes. S/he gets my thumb-sup for doin a yeoman job - much appreciated... some times I'm spacing and seeing the hazard marks help wake me up to be in the moment once again.

Route marks - you can get chalk spray which is not permanent - local O-Fish-Ls much prefer that over permanent.

But road hazards - Brightest super lasting permanent paint - screw the Fish-Ls... Oh yeah, and recent graffitti by the SPraypaint fairy have been in White, and this seems the best.
Old 09-21-16, 10:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Don't interfere with utility markings.
+1

Don't mark things on the road!
Old 09-21-16, 10:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

First ... before picking up paint ... contact your local council.

Tell them exactly where the problems are. Ask them if they'd like to come out with you to have a look. Tell them that you're planning to spray paint the holes.

If you don't hear anything further from them in about a week.

Contact your local council again.

Keep hounding them until they do something.
Old 09-21-16, 10:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by hobkirk
PS - I will also be doing a few direction markers on a VERY twisty road that has numerous paved driveways that are easy to mistake. Several people complained last year.
Is this for an event?

If so, do you have a permit for the event? You'll need one if it is an event of any size. When you go to get that permit, talk them about those direction markers and what you're hoping to do with regard to them and with regard to marking hazards.

They may want to get infrastructure in on the discussion.
Old 09-21-16, 10:51 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Check with your local laws but this may come under vandalism/graffiti and you could be fined particularly if the local council doesn't like having it's laziness pointed out by members of the community.

There was a guy who used to this around my local area and he received an official caution from the police (so no fine).
Old 09-21-16, 11:02 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
First ... before picking up paint ... contact your local council.

Tell them exactly where the problems are. Ask them if they'd like to come out with you to have a look. Tell them that you're planning to spray paint the holes.

If you don't hear anything further from them in about a week.

Contact your local council again.

Keep hounding them until they do something.
They move faster if your Personal Injury attorney sends the note on their letterhead.
Old 09-21-16, 11:25 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Oh, and dependin on the options you chose, 100% incognito is always a good bet. Hogan's Heros, Sgt Schultz ...
be ready to fly to Moscow to bunk with snowden for a bit...
don't raise your arms, don;t put them down, don;t hold anything and for god's sake, don't lie down!
Old 09-21-16, 11:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Check with your local laws but this may come under vandalism/graffiti and you could be fined particularly if the local council doesn't like having it's laziness pointed out by members of the community.

There was a guy who used to this around my local area and he received an official caution from the police (so no fine).
Years ago, I and others marked all sorts of routes and never had serious issues with police. In some places (based on prior history, we'd tell them in advance, explain what we were doing, where and when. But overall, we just went out and did our think, explaining if anybody asked.

Basic guidelines need to be respected. Don't use colors and markings similar to what traffic markings use (obviously), or utilities. Don't mark near other markings to avoid confusion, and keep them discreet and unobtrusive.

Adherence to these guidelines, and the ability to put them down quickly, were considerations Dan Henry used in developing his route markers. Because I was marking routes that sometimes crossed or overlapped his I used a different marker consisting of a solid ball with a line coming out to show the intended direction.

Interestingly, most of the police issues I had were concerns over my safety (decoded, could the town of Chief of Police be sued if they let me mark and I got killed doing so) and often, when they heard I was marking for a bicycle tour, they'd want to know how many bicycles were going to descend on their town.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-21-16 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 06:01 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe pound in a wooden stake and put a small blinking LED near the problem area?
Old 09-22-16, 07:00 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is a guy in a recumbent who does this on local MUT's, marking where tree roots have left severe bumps. He always uses white paint.
Old 09-22-16, 07:05 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
England has this hero, gets holes filled fast. Mystery Artist Wanksy Paints Penises Around Potholes To Get Them Fixed (NSFW) | Huffington Post
Old 09-22-16, 07:05 AM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see the harm in marking the area, I mean, your tax dollars probably paid for that 3"x20' strip of pavement anyhow, right? >. It's destined to be fixed (or not) depending on your local's funding situation. At least this way you can tell them "There's a bad bit of road that's at ZZZZZZ address, and whouldn't you know it, it's easy to find!"
Old 09-22-16, 07:18 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Pothole
Old 09-22-16, 08:03 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I've seen potholes circled on event rides. But I don't think it really helps. The marking needs to be very heavily sprayed to see it in time. Just a circle or outline isn't that useful. And if there's a lot of riders, it's harder to see the road ahead.

Everyone can see potholes. It's the sagged asphalt dips that can be the most dangerous, they can be very hard to see. I've seen two riders hit dips that didn't have a sharp edge, and lose control because they weren't holding the bars securely. Those were both on flat ground, too.

If I was going to spray dangerous holes, I'd want to paint a line of "X"s or similar at least 5 or 10 feet in front of the hole, lined up with the obstacle, for advance warning. Also, holes in areas where trees make alternate sun and shadow are hard to see. It might help there.
Old 09-22-16, 08:10 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
The local cycle clubs paint route markers all over the area, mostly outside of cities, though. Some intersections near a popular starting point have 8 or 10 different route markers from all the routes that pass through that point. One group's routes are named for their markers: "Triple Dot Orange", "Blue Arrow", etc.

These often fade after a year or so, and spot repaving can get rid of route marks. So they need to be checked regularly. With lots of riders having GPS route maps on their bikes, the sprayed markings aren't as critical anymore.

There's a few upscale small towns near here that have a fit if anything is painted on their roads.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-22-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 08:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
How about this?

This Guy Painted Dicks Around Potholes to Shame the City into Fixing Them - CollegeHumor Post
Old 09-22-16, 08:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
How about this?....link..
That guy has a good press agent. There's a prior post about him linking an article in another publication.

But it is a creative way to notify, shame or simply annoy cities into fixing potholes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-22-16, 08:56 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
In the Massapequa Preserve there's a tree root that pushed the pavement up making a nice bump. someone painted BUMP on both sides. On the east decent of Mt. Misery someone painted DANGEROUS DECENT just over the crest.

Both have been there for a long time and there's no signs they wil lbe fixed.
Old 09-22-16, 09:10 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I've seen potholes circled on event rides. But I don't think it really helps. The marking needs to be very heavily sprayed to see it in time. Just a circle or outline isn't that useful. And if there's a lot of riders, it's harder to see the road ahead.

Everyone can see potholes. It's the sagged asphalt dips that can be the most dangerous, they can be very hard to see. I've seen two riders hit dips that didn't have a sharp edge, and lose control because they weren't holding the bars securely. Those were both on flat ground, too.

If I was going to spray dangerous holes, I'd want to paint a line of "X"s or similar at least 5 or 10 feet in front of the hole, lined up with the obstacle, for advance warning. Also, holes in areas where trees make alternate sun and shadow are hard to see. It might help there.
That's why I paint the chevrons. They extend a few feet in front of the pothole for extra visibility and there is no confusion what I'm marking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.