Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Falling Off A Vintage Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Falling Off A Vintage Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 12:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
.. Two days ago, I fell on the way there, right in the middle of the street....
Good thing you didn't fall on the way back! You might have broken your precious cargo....
Old 01-04-19, 10:13 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
:)

I feel fortunate... Cracked crankset no gears made a 3 mile utility run lol for 18er of beer and such ( cannabis legal state ) unscathed... Perhaps the old Schwinn should be more rideable
Old 01-05-19, 10:40 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Even when it feels like slow motion, the crash is so fast, you can rarely do much but hang on. I do know from personal experience that if you have a bit of speed and hit at at an angle, it's possible to do a 360* rotation damaging only your body, clothing & helmet while the bike emerges unscathed. Don
Old 01-05-19, 10:56 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
First sprinkle after a long dry period on rail tracks that cross diagonal on roadway. Tried to line up perpendicular but was just a little off. Face plant into a curb... When your buddy says you look like the predator, it's not good.
Old 01-06-19, 07:35 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Edit: one more....
Also this last year while riding with a large group at a special C&V event, a very well known custom maker and highly experienced and former ranked racer (will not disclose) went down at a wet rail crossing. And while on the premier NEWLY made show bike. Incredible he and the bike came out unscathed. Recall him saying 'theres always a first'.

Stay safe and enjoy the experience!
That surprised me a bit, but it was a pretty bad scenario... heavy rain, riding in an unfamiliar area, and wet steel. I'll just assume that there was a feeling of wanting to get back to the finish (to get out of the rain) and maybe riding faster than was judicious (which is always more obvious *after* the crash). It's definitely a reminder that any of us can end up on the ground due to a confluence of bad conditions.
IIRC, I think someone ended up in the hospital that weekend due to a crash in the rain? Broken bone, I think?

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-06-19, 08:49 AM
Connie40023

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crash!

Originally Posted by garryg
Took my recently refurbished Le Croco ten speed for a ride today and managed to completely wipeout while crossing a low curb.Wet conditions and inexperience on very thin road tires. I,m sore but bike made it through unscathed. At 61 i still have some lessons to learn.Ride safe.
Same thing happened to me in September on my vintage Trek--wet, slick wooden bridge, steep decline to bridge, idiot sprawled across far end of bridge making hard braking only option. My recovery will probably take 9 months to a year but my bike is fine. If I'd been on my carbon bike it would probably be in the dump now.