Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Could Possibly Go Wrong TdWinter Bay Area

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-01-19, 05:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

Background: About 4 weeks before Christmas, I was discussing plans with SWMBO. Last year all agreed that 5 days was optimal for MIL visit. When is she coming I asked. The 21st she said. When is she leaving I asked. The 28th she said.

Uh, 28-21 ain't 5...Quickly, SWMBO pulled the get out of jail free card out for me, texts, emails and online flight arrangements were made, and an early morning Boxing Day exit was planned. My zero bike was prepped at my giant friend Andy's in the People's Republic of Berkeley. The big risk, of course, was planning nearly a month in advance for good weather. As the date got closer, it was looking iffy, but by Christmas Eve it was clear that it would be clear and relatively warm (high in the high 50's). The 27th was out for riding with Andy as he had an all day family white elephant gift swap to go to, but the 28th and 29th would be an out-and-back/over and back ride down the Peninsula, with an overnight stay not far from Santa Cruz on the coast, credit card style. With an open date on the 27th to fill, a dance up Mt. Tam was arranged with my greek brother of a different mother, Jim G, otherwise known as Mr. Trail Calculator.

After a 3:45am wakeup call and a 6:00am flight from PDX to SFO, I carried my packed handlebar and saddle bags along with my helmet onto BART, headed for Rockridge Station where my friend Andy picked me up. A quick drive to his nearby abode and a good hour of catching up with Mrs. Giant Friend, it was down into the garage to reacquaint myself my a long lost steed. I remembered that the last time I rode the Zero bike I noticed that the derailleur hanger was bent. I followed @Andy_K's advice somewhere that a rear hub is typically threaded M10, matching the derailleur hanger and tried screwing on the rear wheel to use it as a tool and cold set the hanger. Guess what? It works! Also remembering that @gaucho777 and others gently ribbed me that 1) I had a generator light on the bike and we were riding the middle of the day and 2) the headlight loosened and was pointing straight down, I dug through Giant Andy's pile of spare nuts and bolts and found a proper split washer, added it to the bolt and nut stack, and viola, it was tighted.

I wanted to pick up a few items at REI, so we rode across The People's Republic (which is legal to do by bicycle, possibly not by car) and locked our bikes up near the front entrance. Don't worry, by the time purchases were made and we got back, the bikes were still there. Lunch was had at a nearby excellent local BBQ/Mexican restaurant, then we rode around West Berkeley, up around Lake Merrit, and back to Bezerkeley. It felt warm and nice on December 26th, part of the reason most people from Portland can't afford to move to the Bay Area.

Mr. Giant Bike Frame made mention of needing to take a quick trip to the dentist the following day to take care of some loose bridgework that was bothering him. I contacted Jim to verify that we were on for the next day, and a 9am meet up at the 16th and Mission BART was arranged. I was told in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't make any purchases from anyone at the top of the escalators. I was surprised that nothing had changed since I lived near there in my college days, except the fact that you can't afford to live near there as a college student anymore.

Since this thread has a paucity of pix, behold, the Zero Bike, prior to Berkeley shipment for hiding purposes:

Last edited by gugie; 01-02-19 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 05:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Day 2, over GG Bridge, dodging tourists, and climbing Mt. Tam

After a quick breakfast I rolled down to the Rockridge BART station for the relatively short ride to SF. I knew I had to run the 16th and Mission gauntlet, so I got my game face on.

Anyone that rides in SF doesn't really ride in SF. One pedals over the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin, then one rides. Everything else is a commute. Familiar roads were taken through the city including the infamous Wiggle, the only way to go across SF without really climbing any hills. From there to the GG Park Panhandle trail, right on Arguello, and through the Presidio brought back distant memories. Jim showed me a couple of new tricks, some dirt short cuts that I never took. Soon we were on the bridge, dodging the tourists on bike and foot. Riding in SF nowadays means timing bridge crossings to avoid the worst of the tourist onslaught. Since it was Dec. 27th, the bike path was only half full. Zipping down to Sausalito, getting on the bike path, winding through Mill Valley to the start of the Railroad Grade trail, I'd done it enough times that I don't think I needed Jim, a map, or directions. Muscle memory would have done the trip.

Running 700c x 35mm tires was right on the edge of comfortable. The rocky bits, ruts and roots crossing the trail meant you had to be on a constant lookout for an optimal line. Every once in a while I took my eyes off the road and noticed that someone had put up a giant painting behind me of an idealized version of what the view should look like from where I was. I decided to capture the artist's handiwork.

We stopped at the West Point Inn, a place that you can overnight at, but you have to either hike or bike to it - no cars.

Jim is pointing out that there's more to riding up Mt. Tam than just suffering.

After sitting on a bench and talking about riding, framebuilding (Jim took the UBI framebuilding course one year before I did), raising a family, comparing and contrasying life in Portland vs San Francisco, we noticed it was getting a bit late, so rode back via Pantoll and Highway 1, then back through the tourist hoards in Sausalito and the GG Bridge. Finally we arrived at Jim's place in the Mission, dropped off the bikes, and walked around the corner to his local pub. We rehydrated and refueled in the typical manner.

After dinner, I met his wife and 6 year old daughter, got back on my bike, and was happy to have a generator light to ride back to BART, BART to Oakland, and the final ride to The Big Guy's house. He beat me "home" by 10 minutes, then informed me that the dentist couldn't fix his bridgework, it was hurting like heck, and Mrs. Big Guy had convinced him not to ride the next day. Well, reservations had been made, so this next two days would be a solo trip.

Last edited by gugie; 10-15-21 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 06:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Day 3 Tired legs, familiar roads

Set my alarm for 6:30, once again onto BART, this time to San Bruno. From there I rode up to the San Andreas Trail, which sits on, well, the San Andreas Fault. WCPGW? The steep road up there made me get off and push my bike. I rode up Mt. Tamalpais the day before and I was carrying an extra 15 pounds of credit card camping gear, so that's my excuse. The trail ended after a few miles, so I hugged as best as I could the roads next to Interstate 280. You don't want to have to climb all the way back up one of these:

Having lived in the area for 13 years before moving to Portlandia, I knew these roads well, and got to Woodside without looking on a map. I knew exactly what picture I wanted to take. I have a few dozen pictures of my kids on top of The Giant Fish.

Riding on to the start of Old La Honda Road was once again a trip down memory lane. Riding up it was a lot of suffering. Once again I got off and walked more than once. My goal was a certain road, one that I'd seen decades before. I always thought this sign is not quite correct, it's missing punctuation.

Clearly my bike is hiding behind the rock and was tired of climbing. I talked her back onto the road, since the ridge is nearby. Finally, I crested the hill to Skyline, rode the short bit to Alice's Restaurant, stopped and put more clothing on for the descent.

Last edited by gugie; 01-02-19 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 06:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Day 3, continued

Halfway down 84 I knew there was a picture I just had to have. I'd passed this spot dozens of times driving over to take my kids to the beaches of San Mateo County when they were little. With no one else to stop me, I did.

Nice, huh?

Down again I went. My legs have never been so tired that I couldn't speed downhill, so I did. The turn in La Honda to Pescadero Creek Road took me off of the descent and back up into a climb. I probably should have stayed on 84 , but in my mind it was a shorter ride. Yeah, but I would have avoided some more steep hills. The short winter day meant I didn't have much daylight left, and the climbs meant getting off and pushing a couple of times more. The legs and back were just shot. Once I got to the crest, I found I could get moving at a good clip again, and made it to Pescadero with maybe 30 minutes of sun left. Pescadero is a small town, mostly artisinal farms around it and tourists - but not many at this time of year. I saw a B&B with a vacancy sign, and almost decided to stay there for the night, but I'd already paid for accomodations at Costanoa Lodge and Camp, so I pushed on. This little town is actually a couple of miles inland, so I had to pedal out a bit to make it to Hwy 1 before turning south. I knew I was running out of daylight, but I had to stop and take this picture.

Yeah, I know, why fly 600 miles to ride in crappy weather and views like this?

My GPS told me it was 44 minutes to the Lodge. I've got lights front and rear, there's good shoulder, so let's go for it. Ah, crap, nature's forcing me to stop and take another picture of her.

Minutes later it was dark. 15 more and I pulled into the Costanoa, where I checked into my tent cabin.

Communal showers, a hot meal and a couple of beers at the lodge restaurant, and I was ready for bed. It was 38 degrees inside the tent, but the beds had electric blankets. I cranked it up to 11 and crawled in, then had a sleep like the dead evening.

Last edited by gugie; 01-02-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 06:50 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Thanks Gugie,
I was looking forward to your report out and you didn't disappoint. Man what a nice area to ride!
Old 01-01-19, 06:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Halfway down 84 I knew there was a picture I just had to have. I'd passed this spot dozens of times driving over to take my kids to the beaches of San Mateo County when they were little. With no one else to stop me, I did.

Nice, huh?

Down again I went. My legs have never been so tired that I couldn't speed downhill, so I did. The turn in La Honda to Pescadero Creek Road took me off of the descent and back up into a climb. I probably should have stayed on 84 , but in my mind it was a shorter ride. Yeah, but I would have avoided some more steep hills. The short winter day meant I didn't have much daylight left, and the climbs meant getting off and pushing a couple of times more. The legs and back were just shot. Once I got to the crest, I found I could get moving at a good clip again, and made it to Pescadero with maybe 30 minutes of sun left. Pescadero is a small town, mostly artisinal farms around it and tourists - but not many at this time of year. I saw a B&B with a vacancy sign, and almost decided to stay there for the night, but I'd already paid for accomodations at Costanoa Lodge and Camp, so I pushed on. This little town is actually a couple of miles inland, so I had to pedal out a bit to make it to Hwy 1 before turning south. I knew I was running out of daylight, but I had to stop and take this picture.

Yeah, I know, why fly 600 miles to ride in crappy weather and views like this?

My GPS told me it was 44 minutes to the Lodge. I've got lights front and rear, there's good shoulder, so let's go for it. Ah, crap, nature's forcing me to stop and take another picture of her.

Minutes later it was dark. 15 more and I pulled into the Costanoa, where I checked into my tent cabin.

Communal showers, and a hot meal and a couple of beers at the lodge restaurant, and I was ready for bed. It was 38 degrees inside the tent, but the beds had electric blankets. I cranked it up to 11 and crawled in, then had a sleep like the dead evening.
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together, so far.
Old 01-01-19, 07:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Day 4 - Ride like hell, catch a plane

So, here I was practically in Santa Cruz, in bed, it's freezing outside my blankets, I'm 45 miles and 4000 feet of climbing from my destination, I have to somehow get my Zero bike back to Bezerkeley, and the alarm is going off at 6am.

Luckily I had over 9 hours of sleep last night, there's half a bag of beef jerkey and two cookies in my handlebar bag. I put all of the clothes I'll wear in the morning under the sheets and warm them up for 10 minutes, then dress like a camper up in the high mountains does. Once I get all the clothes on and my shoes, I jog over to the shower area and fill my bottle with hot water. Jerkey and cookies go down, and I'm riding before the sun comes up. It's an oddly great feeling riding that early, that cold. My hands and feet are practically numb, but I have a big smile on my face. Soon the sun comes up and the rays and my exertion start to warm me up. I stop and take a picture of a favorite family beach from years gone by.

The views are spectacular. It's hard to not stop and take more pictures. Here's a typical one as I'm headed north at 7:30am on a late December day:

Soon the cutoff for Pescadero appears. I decided to pull in for a hot breakfast at Duarte's. It's been in business for over 100 years. Saturday mornings in December look to be locals only, everyone knows each other. Why is it when I'm on a long ride I feel the need to snap a picture of my food?

By the time I finish it's 8:30. Rather than take Highway 1 Stage Road is chosen. I know this road well, It'll be up and down a lot more, but I'm feeling a lot better today, and the scenery is wonderful. Because the scenary has sucked so far this trip, and I need a little sumpin sumpin, here's another picture.

I see a funny sign. The person who decided to post this clearly doesn't read Bicycle Quarterly.

I'm telling you right now, the guys on narrow tires would have been scratching their heads after riding the length of this. Every single bit of gravel appeard to be glued down to the road.

I stopped in San Gregorio. I took a couple of pictures, they're nice, but not up to the standards of this thread. A peloton flies past me, all carbon fiber and lycra. I eventually catch up with them when they stopped at the coolest bicycle place on the planet - the Bike Hut on Tunitas Creek.

Outside

Inside

Zoom in on this link and look at the details. Note that you can load up on yogurt pretzels, chocolate covered malted balls, fig bars, fill up your water bottle, and make yourself a really nice cup of freshly ground drip coffee. Oh, and there's enough tools to fix damn near anything, and spare tubes. It's 100% honor system. I filled my water bottle up and dropped a fiver into the cash box to make up for those that can't or don't.

The Peloton stays and sips their coffees. I tell one of the riders I'll probably see him halfway up.

Last edited by gugie; 01-02-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 07:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Thanks for that.

Old 01-01-19, 08:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Day 4, continued

I'm a bit worried about this climb. It's really the only thing I need to really concentrate on today, Tunitas Creek is both beautiful and hard. I remember the basics: from the Bike Hut, ride a few miles of mild climbing, then wham! The suffering begins. I pull out all the tricks, slide forward on the saddle, then slide back to use the muscles slightly differently. Granny gear, spin, when that starts to stall, slam 2 rear cogs higher and stand. Stairmaster time until it was time to sit again, drop down into granny, rinse and repeat. When that wasn't enough, throw in some paperboy. A lot. Assume your lot in life will be to continue to do this until the 800 lb gorilla gets tired. Eventually, 437 false summits later, the ride flattens out significantly. It's still uphill, but it feels like it's flat the last several miles after the pounding.

I didn't stop once. Odd that one day you feel like crap, get a good nights sleep, get back on the bike, and by some mysterious force your form is back. I text this picture to The Giant Berkeleyite:

Big Johnson says he'll meet me at the Millbrae transit center, which combines CalTrain and BART in one location. I've got a 6 o'clock flight to PDX, he'll drive over to have a late lunch, then I can fly back home. I've got a reservation for two on the Coast Starlight from PDX to Seattle King Station for two at 8am the next day. It's my 20th wedding anniversary trip, better not miss that!

I look up the train schedule, and realize I have a bit of spare time so I can ride by the house we lived at for 13 years.

The old homestead

Right at the train station in Redwood City, CA you'll see this.

It's 58 degrees and clear on December 29th, hard to argue the point.

The sun, moon and stars align, my buddy Big Andy picks me up, we put the bike in the back of his car, and we do what we need to do. Burgers and beer, of course at the nearest sports bar. He drops me off at SFO, which is only a mile or so away. I find my flight has a delay. I make lemonade. Did you know you can take a shower at many airports? I found a place for a fee, and changed into clean clothes. Did you know you can get a massage at an airport? Why not, got some time to spare.

After killing some time, flying back to PDX, I finally get home around 10pm. Just in time to get some sleep, get up, and hop a train to Seattle for wonderful three day, two night 20th wedding anniversary trip to Seattle.

For some odd reason, the weather was wonderful there as well.

Last night we got some last minute tix to a Doo Wop concert for New Years Eve.

Last edited by gugie; 01-02-19 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 08:34 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
[Zoom in on this link and look at the details. Note that you can load up on yogurt pretzels, chocolate covered malted balls, fig bars, fill up your water bottle, and make yourself a really nice cup of freshly ground drip coffee. Oh, and there's enough tools to fix damn near anything, and spare tubes. It's 100% honor system. I filled my water bottle up and dropped a fiver into the cash box to make up for those that can't or don't.
That's incredible!

Great write-up, I will be vicariously dreaming of this tour while staring out at 15°f and snow
Old 01-01-19, 09:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Outstanding, sir! Simply outstanding!
Old 01-01-19, 09:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Fantastic, well done! Its times like that make you believe that you really can be master of your own destiny.
Old 01-01-19, 09:39 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Thanks for the great travelogue!
Brent
Old 01-01-19, 10:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Well, that looks like some time well spent!

There was a thread with that little Bike Barn in it some time back. What thread was that...?

DD
Old 01-02-19, 12:15 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
All that work! Too bad there weren't any good views along the way

But for reals, your travelogue reaffirms to me the truth that all the best rides have a lot of climbing. Not sure I would have finished it, this time of year. I got a whopping 450 ft gain in eight miles today; best I've done since last fall
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-02-19, 04:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Good trip!

How many "zero" bikes do you have?
Old 01-02-19, 05:46 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
WOW! Outstanding thread, thanks for taking the time to post.

The SF Bay Area, the 1980's, and not owning a car were the three things that brought me to this sport. Thanks for giving people who haven't ridden there a tiny sample of the magic of that very special place. And the fact you can comfortably ride year-round on these world-class roads (if you can deal with the traffic) is probably the best part . A person would be a fool to live there and NOT ride a bike.
Old 01-02-19, 06:13 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts

These two pics should be compulsory viewing by everyone in the world.
Old 01-02-19, 06:30 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Nice time, well written and photographed.
Old 01-02-19, 06:36 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
That's incredible!

Great write-up, I will be vicariously dreaming of this tour while staring out at 15°f and snow
+ 1. I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the high yesterday went over 15 degrees.
Old 01-02-19, 07:44 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 6,624 Times in 2,596 Posts
It's really too bad that the views were so awful, the food barely edible, and the riding so boring.

Nice work, @gugie!
Old 01-02-19, 09:08 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Sounds like it was an awesome trip and rides! Lol, you were just up the hill from me when you took that pic in Millbrae. The San Andreas Trail can get crowded a lot with joggers and walkers. The Bike Hut is pretty cool. That was the rest stop station I worked at during last year's Silicone Valley Gran Fondo.The owner of that farm is a biker and very nice person. He built that and stocks it for any rider that goes through there.
Old 01-02-19, 09:11 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
All that just so your wife can spend time with her mom? You are a saint. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-19, 09:12 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Nice job, especially on the BART. There are few things more intimidating than a man in an argyle sweater clutching a bike. SF pics brings back some memories. Used to be the west side of the GG Bridge was reserved for bikes so you didn’t have tourists in your way and most days you had that side of the bridge almost to yourself.

You people all need to stop posting Cali coast pics; makes me want to drop everything, sell everything, and move back out there. Thanks for the thread nevertheless!
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 01-02-19, 11:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
It's really too bad that the views were so awful, the food barely edible, and the riding so boring.

Nice work, @gugie!
Somebody had to do it.

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Sounds like it was an awesome trip and rides! Lol, you were just up the hill from me when you took that pic in Millbrae. The San Andreas Trail can get crowded a lot with joggers and walkers. The Bike Hut is pretty cool. That was the rest stop station I worked at during last year's Silicone Valley Gran Fondo.The owner of that farm is a biker and very nice person. He built that and stocks it for any rider that goes through there.
Shoot, had a chance to hook up! I'd ridden a lot on the Sawyer Camp Trail with my kids when they were little, I knew they were connected. The dam road work made me get off of it after just a few miles - trailhead entrances were closed, at least that day. I had to cut down Crystal Springs Road and then climb back up Polhemus to Ralston, then take the connector trail/bridge over 280 to Canada Rd. I didn't need any maps, I'd done that section more than once a while ago.

I'd stopped at the Bike Hut for the first time at least a decade ago. It's pretty much the same as I remembered it. Interestingly enough, there's something similar on the Old Railroad Grade Trail up Mt. Tam - a house that backs up against the train (there's a paved road in front of the house). The owner installed a water fountain on the back and a small alcove with tools, a pump, spare tubes, and a first aid kit.

Originally Posted by Classtime
All that just so your wife can spend time with her mom? You are a saint. Thanks for sharing.
My wife's the saint, allowing me a "get out of jail free" card.

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Nice job, especially on the BART. There are few things more intimidating than a man in an argyle sweater clutching a bike. SF pics brings back some memories. Used to be the west side of the GG Bridge was reserved for bikes so you didn’t have tourists in your way and most days you had that side of the bridge almost to yourself.

You people all need to stop posting Cali coast pics; makes me want to drop everything, sell everything, and move back out there. Thanks for the thread nevertheless!
The side you ride on over the GG Bridge depends on what time and day of the week you're crossing. I can never remember, I just follow the signs when I cross. I prefer the west (Pacific) side, since there are no walking tourists. Then all you have to worry about is the hoards of tourists on bicycles. The scariest parts are the towers - I know that there'll be a huge whirlwind when you go around the corner, but the tourists do not. Most just stop and look confused for a couple of minutes, then walk around. Either that or they crash. It's the Yogi Berra line - nobody rides the Golden Gate bridge anymore, it's too crowded.

If that car repair shop next to the Cayucas pier ever goes on sale, you, me and @nlerner need to be ready to go in together and scoop it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.