Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Long Haul Trucker

Old 08-30-19, 02:25 PM
Blueweim
Blueweim

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Long Haul Trucker

Can this be a decent commuter
Old 08-30-19, 02:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
It can. I hear it rides better if you put the load on the front.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-30-19, 06:49 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Absolutely. Especially if you’re planning on packing lots of stuff. It’s long, stout, and stable. Handling is neutral to slow-ish and front loads are handled easily. LHT’s touring cred is legendary. Fenders? Sure. Fat tires? Of course. Most people buying and riding LHTs know exactly what they want and they find it in the LHT. One minor quibble... a challenge to mount a kick stand. Go to Surly Bikes and dig around for their position on kick stands. Undoubtedly someone will chime in with a complaint about how much it weighs, but nobody buys a LHT because they want a featherweight.

-Kedosto
Old 08-30-19, 07:37 PM
steeljunkie

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, Black Mountain Cycles Road, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I commute on my LHT 4 or 5 days a week -
My LHT set up as a commuter
Likes For steeljunkie:
Old 08-30-19, 07:51 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
You know, I like everything I read about that bike, but when I look at the funky shifters I cringe.

Am I normal and those who like them weird, or is there something I'm just missing?

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 08-30-19, 09:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by BookFinder
You know, I like everything I read about that bike, but when I look at the funky shifters I cringe.

Am I normal and those who like them weird, or is there something I'm just missing?
You're not *required* to use bar-ends...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-30-19, 10:03 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
And some people love bar end shifters and do not like the integral brake shifter things. I do not understand why you cringe, if you do not like them then install what you want.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-02-19, 01:33 PM
luistim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long Haul tucker

Absolutely. If you're anticipating pressing heaps of stuff. It's long, heavy, and stable. Taking care of is nonpartisan to slow-ish and front burdens are dealt with effectively. LHT's visiting cred is unbelievable. Bumpers? Sure. Fat tires? Obviously. A great many people purchasing and riding LHTs know precisely what they need and they discover it in the LHT. One minor bandy... a test to mount a kick stand. Go to Surly Bikes and burrow around for their situation on kick stands. Without a doubt somebody will toll in with a protest about the amount it gauges, however, no one purchases on the grounds that they need a featherweight.
Likes For luistim:
Old 09-02-19, 09:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by steeljunkie
I commute on my LHT 4 or 5 days a week -
My LHT set up as a commuter
Sweet bottle!
Old 09-02-19, 09:52 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
OP, rather than the LHT, maybe the Cross Check (Straggler, same bike in a disc). The CC is not super light either but the weight weenies can moan all they like, it is a great, do everything bicycle and I mean everything. Touring, gravel, cycle cross, winter road practice and just plain out road, single speed, fixie, fitness, commuting, even single track, racks, skinny tires, fat tires, even big tires, fenders are all within it's credentials and like any jack of all trades, it is not the best at any single thing but few bikes can do all of them as well as the CC.

Purchase a CC using the top tube C/C length to gauge the frame size. The cycle cross high bottom bracket and low top tube (for stand over on uneven surfaces) fools people, for example, a 54cm frame by Surly measurements is actually a 56cm for fit.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-03-19, 08:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueweim
Yes, but any touring bike would make a decent commuter. They make a better commuter than "commuter" bikes and are far better than most fast road bikes. They are built to carry stuff and have places to hang said stuff. I wouldn't use a LHT because I don't (and won't) have steel in my garage but that's me. Look at an older Cannondale Touring as well (T1, T800, T600, etc). Much lighter with the same geometry.

Don't bother with the current "touring" bike from Cannondale. It's a platypus. It looks a bit like a duck but isn't a duck and doesn't do what a duck should do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-03-19, 08:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Don't bother with the current "touring" bike from Cannondale. It's a platypus. It looks a bit like a duck but isn't a duck and doesn't do what a duck should do.
Are they still making a 'touring' bike? I know they have a line of 'allroad' or gravel bikes, but I can't find anything mentioning touring on their website.
Old 09-03-19, 08:41 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Ok, I genuinely LOL'd. I've never been a fan of C'dale but I tried to take a look at their touring monstrosity and couldn't find it anywhere on their US website. Is it dead in the US market?

-Kedosto

Edited to add: Wilfred clearly has the faster fingers.
Old 09-03-19, 12:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Are they still making a 'touring' bike? I know they have a line of 'allroad' or gravel bikes, but I can't find anything mentioning touring on their website.
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Ok, I genuinely LOL'd. I've never been a fan of C'dale but I tried to take a look at their touring monstrosity and couldn't find it anywhere on their US website. Is it dead in the US market?

-Kedosto

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...3-65f7997ff007

1x drivetrain. 28h wheels. aluminum fork.

Cdale didnt have a touring bike for the first half of this decade, then a few years ago came out with a couple models that had 2x drivetrains with very limited gearing(34-32 for example). Ultegra STI, etc etc. Overall, this is what im guessing cycco meant.
Old 09-03-19, 12:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
low trail not good for coommuting (dull handling).
Dont pretend that you have experience with low trail vs high trail when it comes to a loaded front end. Low trail is perfectly fine for commuting.

For the largest size, the LHT has 68mm of trail. That isnt low. Surly's Pack Rat, an advertised low trail road bike, has 51mm of trail(and even that isnt shockingly low).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-03-19, 05:00 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Kedosto

-Kedosto

The one they offer now is their "fast" touring bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-04-19, 07:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
The one they offer now is their "fast" touring bike.
I have followed the links, but if I navigate away from that touring bike it is impossible to find my way back. What bike category is it under?

Not important - I am not planning to buy one (currently lusting after a Trek 920), but I find it funny.
Old 09-04-19, 08:20 AM
cyccommute 

I have followed the links, but if I navigate away from that touring bike it is impossible to find my way back. What bike category is it under?

Not important - I am not planning to buy one (currently lusting after a Trek 920), but I find it funny.
Yea, it gets lost in it's own little category that doesn't appear in the pull down menu. Apparently it's not a priority for Cannondale anymore.

Old 09-04-19, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Dont pretend that you have experience with low trail vs high trail when it comes to a loaded front end. Low trail is perfectly fine for commuting.
IKR. I commute/run errands, etc., on mine all the time. More "fake news" from him.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-04-19, 08:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueweim
My good friend/neighbor/co-worker is a year-round commuter on his LHT (we're in Minnesota). He's riding 7-8 miles each way. He's been using it for over 15 years and still loving it.
Old 09-04-19, 09:08 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...3-65f7997ff007

1x drivetrain. 28h wheels. aluminum fork.

Cdale didnt have a touring bike for the first half of this decade, then a few years ago came out with a couple models that had 2x drivetrains with very limited gearing(34-32 for example). Ultegra STI, etc etc. Overall, this is what im guessing cycco meant.
Looks like knobby tires too. Does bikepacking = touring now?
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-19, 09:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Those certainly can be interchangeable in certain situations, but even if its marketed as a bikepacking bike- I would spend $1950 to buy something different to carry gear over gravel roads and double track.
Old 09-04-19, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

The term originated to describe a subset of touring. Off road, minimalist, UL touring, often with frame bags instead of the usual racks and panniers. Think backpacking, but riding instead of walking. Unfortunately, some people use the term to refer to traditional (paved) road touring. That can sometimes cause confusion when questions are posed.
Old 09-04-19, 11:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The term originated to describe a subset of touring. Off road, minimalist, UL touring, often with frame bags instead of the usual racks and panniers. Think backpacking, but riding instead of walking. Unfortunately, some people use the term to refer to traditional (paved) road touring. That can sometimes cause confusion when questions are posed.
I know what bikepacking is. What I'm inferring is that it might be the only segment of that general market of interest to Cannondale now.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-19, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

What I'm inferring is that it might be the only market segment of interest to Cannondale now.
Seems that way. My original touring bike was a '98 Cannondale T 700. Aside from the wheels, I really like that bike. Quite light for it's XL size. Its in my basement slowly returning to bauxite. Keep meaning to put it out on the curb for the junk guys who comb the 'hood before trash pickup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.