Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 07:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Just Google "Bicycle Clothes" and look at the first entry. Not the cheapest around, but you get pro level stuff for less than the ordinary things you see in the shops. Check out their sale items when they have them.
Old 03-31-05, 10:34 PM
dhfd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meme
I went to a sewing factory that was going out of business and they were liquidating everything. They happen to sew a lot of sports clothing for Adidas, Hind, Pearl Izumi, etc. I bought enough cycling apparel to probably last a couple of decades. The jerseys that normally sell for $70~$80? I got it for $2 each. I only found out about this on their last day of liquidation, so I didn't get as much selection as the people who found out earlier...but I still got excellent deals. I guess you just have to spend some time to search for these special deals.

That was a great find! I guess part of the problem I'm having is the dilemma of spending money to get decent clothes/equipment that works well, versus spending a fortune on a similar product (even when sometimes the sale price is still really high). Part of the problem, is that I refuse to pay full price for something, (a practice I think I got from my wife)

BTW, does anyone know of a good online store to order a collegiate team jersey? LBS has them for 80.00.
Old 03-31-05, 10:46 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thirty years ago, millions of road bikes were sold every year to folks who went riding in tee-shirts, cut-off jeans, and tennis shoes. But, in 2005, bike companies market road bikes to people with more money than brains. They assume that there are lots of roadies dumb enough to pay $100 for a shirt, $75 for shorts, $10 for a pair of socks, $75 for a helmet...and they are not wrong.

I was looking at some "official" soccer clothing at a local sports stores. High quality shirts for $15, made from the same fabric as some of the $100 bike jerseys. The higher IQ of soccer players requires selling their stuff at sensible prices.

There is a cure for the high price of cycling clothes. Tee-shirts, cut-off jeans, tennis shoes. Or, soccer stuff, and skateboard shoes (the thick, stiff shoes are great for cycling).
Old 03-31-05, 11:12 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NASHBAR for collegiate Jerseys

https://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...=16&browse=all
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 04-01-05, 12:05 AM
canisestinvia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhfd
BTW, does anyone know of a good online store to order a collegiate team jersey? LBS has them for 80.00.
link to a sweet collegiate jersey
Old 04-01-05, 10:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
dhfd: Rather than give your money to Nashbar, google the college cycling club you're interested in. Most have a website and most would be happy to sell you one of their jerseys. See my alma mater, for example: https://www.calcycling.org/memclothing.php

They get them at wholesale from the jersey maker, you pay them retail, and they keep the difference to support the program. And you get the official jersey at the same price as the generic knockoff that Nashbar sells.
Old 04-01-05, 11:22 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If you're sick of cycling's cost, take up golf. Greens fees have SOARED in recent years. Sure, they're going through a backlash, but the end result will be a net increase.
Old 04-01-05, 12:21 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. You do get what you pay for. I've worn Nashbar brand, Campagnolo, Pace, Cannondale etc and I can tell you the cheapie Nashbar was significantly less comfortable. My wife said the same thing, she didn't see the reason on spending the extra money so she went with cheapies too and then she tried on a pair of my shorts and was amazed at the difference. Again, shirts and jerseys I don't see any reason to spend extra money on but if your sitting in your shorts for a long period of time it's worth it to make sure you will be as comfortable as you can.