Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Equipment/Product Review (1972) BENDIX Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 11:28 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-24-19, 11:42 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Amazing. Wonder how the rotors attached to the hubs.
Old 05-25-19, 12:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Pretty sure most of these went on the equivalent of cheap flip-flop hubs. Thread it on like a freewheel.

"...considered to be a major improvement in the safety and performance of bicycle hand braking systems."
Considered by who, again?

-Kurt

Old 05-25-19, 08:09 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Yeah...I realize this was more of a product announcement than a review. I just like to get these early indications of innovations out there irrespective of whether the product evolved and was marketed successfully, or was barely a blip in history. I like being surprised that innovations were introduced to cycling often long before most realize. But on the flip side, what were once exciting ideas can now seem antiquated or ridiculous, so these announcements can be good substrate for humor. It was the second paragraph that made me laugh. I thought all brakes did that so what's the big deal. Then I imagined this might be a special "player piano cylinder" design for a disc that plays "Camptown Races" when the pads wear down enough.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 05-25-19, 09:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Yeah...I realize this was more of a product announcement than a review. I just like to get these early indications of innovations out there irrespective of whether the product evolved and was marketed successfully, or was barely a blip in history. I like being surprised that innovations were introduced to cycling often long before most realize. But on the flip side, what were once exciting ideas can now seem antiquated or ridiculous, so these announcements can be good substrate for humor. It was the second paragraph that made me laugh. I thought all brakes did that so what's the big deal. Then I imagined this might be a special "player piano cylinder" design for a disc that plays "Camptown Races" when the pads wear down enough.
They still do it today. If you read enough copy for every lousy new invention looking for a problem, you'll realize how much BS we take every day without question . It's when one looks back at history and reads the same drivel triumphantly announcing every bad idea that ever came and died that it becomes obvious.

I must have glossed over that "audible warning" on my first read - that definitely resulted in a laugh. What type of "audible warning?" The sound of metal pads on a metal rotor?

The Craptastic Bike Parts meter should have been at TILT to start with, since it's advertised for the rear only.

-Kurt