Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon checked baggage

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon checked baggage

Old 06-07-19, 09:13 AM
marfar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon checked baggage

Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling to Europe with my folder next month, and I'm stumped by the flight restrictions and checking luggage/bikes. So far, I see two options, pay the $80 (Norwegian) for the bike or pay the $50 for checked luggage and remove the derailer, fenders, tires, rack, etc. I can't carry the luggage with me, so I'll have to abandon it at the airport...hate to do that.

Question 1: Has anyone checked a folder as a "bike" and packed it into a soft side bike bag? I know full size bikes go in the cardboard bike boxes, but will airlines allow the soft side bags that are well padded with bubble wrap?

Question 2: Anyone ever rented bike luggage from the airport? Apparently, this can be done!

I don't mind taking it apart, but I'll be bikepacking for 6 weeks, which means I'll leave the suitcase at the airport and have to find another one when I fly back to the US.
Old 06-07-19, 09:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you google "flying with a bike friday" you will find tons of info on flying with bikes in suitcases. Doesn't matter that yours is a Dahon, the info will still be valid.
It's just that BF owners have a lot of experience flying with their bikes.
Old 06-07-19, 10:28 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I fly mine all of the time, Vybe in a suitcase.

I leave my fenders at home and pack a quick release rear fender.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-07-19 at 10:33 AM.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 06-07-19, 10:30 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by marfar
Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling to Europe with my folder next month, and I'm stumped by the flight restrictions and checking luggage/bikes. So far, I see two options, pay the $80 (Norwegian) for the bike or pay the $50 for checked luggage and remove the derailer, fenders, tires, rack, etc. I can't carry the luggage with me, so I'll have to abandon it at the airport...hate to do that.

Question 1: Has anyone checked a folder as a "bike" and packed it into a soft side bike bag? I know full size bikes go in the cardboard bike boxes, but will airlines allow the soft side bags that are well padded with bubble wrap?

Question 2: Anyone ever rented bike luggage from the airport? Apparently, this can be done!

I don't mind taking it apart, but I'll be bikepacking for 6 weeks, which means I'll leave the suitcase at the airport and have to find another one when I fly back to the US.

question 1: they will allow, but your bike will be crushed.

question 2: never saw this service

why dont you go with a cardbox?
if you take wheels apart it can become an airline legal case.
Old 06-07-19, 10:38 AM
marfar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BromptonINrio,
We have the boxes the bikes came in. Do you think these would work? Fit the size requirements? I must say, this is the bonus of the Brompton, lol. Not saying I regret the Dahon, but I do see where you all have the benefit in this area!
Old 06-07-19, 10:39 AM
marfar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kayakindude,
I am considering going to Goodwill to find a crazy cheap suitcase to just leave at the next airport for the next person...my husband wants to use the boxes that the bikes came in, but I feel like this will be a red flag at the airport.
Old 06-07-19, 11:49 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
kayakindude,
I am considering going to Goodwill to find a crazy cheap suitcase to just leave at the next airport for the next person...my husband wants to use the boxes that the bikes came in, but I feel like this will be a red flag at the airport.
It can't hurt to try Goodwill or even CL 1st. Boxes can be plan B.
Old 06-07-19, 04:43 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
kayakindude,
I think the Dahon cardboard box will be oversized. Because the Dahon bike is already complete/assembled. If you're willing to disassemble the bike anyway; see if it will fit a Brompton or Birdy box.
These boxes are within the airline size limits. Usually free from the shops here; they're just going to be recycled anyway. One time I was in a rush; I made my own box(for a Brompton):

Brompton folding bike; ready for check-in by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 06-07-19, 06:57 PM
m56ewt

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello everyone, I am the spouse of the OP and appreciate everyone’s input. Do you happen to know the exact dimensions of the Brompton or Birdy box that is considered within the airline size limits? I may try and construct from the Dahon boxes that we already have.

Last edited by m56ewt; 06-07-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 07:44 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by m56ewt
Hello everyone, I am the spouse of the OP and appreciate everyone’s input. Do you happen to know the exact dimensions of the Brompton or Birdy box that is considered within the airline size limits? I may try and construct from the Dahon boxes that we already have.
Brompton box is 25" X 23" X 12"; measurements in inches. Well within airlines' limit of 62". Birdy box will be slightly bigger; but I think within the limit.
If you're going to dissect the Dahon box; may I suggest maximizing the size to the limit. And I would suggest to make the shape more rectangle than square.
Old 06-07-19, 08:47 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I transported Boardwalk-type Dahons in Brompton's B&W case with dimensions at the border of airline limit 25x24x13. There was a significant disassembly required and I had to put one wheel in another case in my memory. However B&W is not optimal for Dahon that folds into a rectangular shape while Brompton into square, going into cube, shape.
Old 06-09-19, 04:30 PM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
The XL size case from this set of 3x luggage would fit a disassembled 20" Dahon and wheels, according to my rough calculations. To be more safe, I would put the frame, fork, seatpost, handlepost in the L size case by themselves. And then put the wheels in the XL size case with your panniers. The B ware set goes for around $20. But supposedly 50% are broken because they're customer returns that they didn't bother checking before reselling. A new set costs around $70. The XL size is supposedly 1-2cm longer than the max 158cm linear dimension for standard baggage, but it might get past. You can take these and comfortably dump the cases on arrival, or else put it up on classifieds at the city you're flying into. I'm sure there are giveaway message boards. If it's a typical european airport that is close to the city center, people looking for free stuff can either drive there to take the cases from you or they'll take the train and meet you at the airport.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/RETOURE-3tlg...L/264355790323

I would wrap all the exposed corners in cheap pole protector foam that probably cost at most $10, and zip tie them together. You should probably ziptie the seatpost, handlepost, and fork to the frame so that they don't bang against each other. You can get a rear dropout spacer with a quick release for $10 meant for transportation, to hold the dropouts apart so the stays don't get bent. I haven't found a front one for 74mm, but you can simply use a M5x100mm (or M6, M8) bolt, 4x double sized washers and 4x nuts to hold the front fork apart.

I wouldn't check in a bike in a cardboard box. They will get smashed, dropped, etc. I had my bike fully assembled and folded in the original cardboard box once in an airplane, and it arrived with the lever bent inside out. Some airlines won't reimburse damaged bicycles if not packed and well protected inside a hard case.
Old 06-09-19, 05:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
plan ahead

because its on the outside of the fold, unscrew the rear derailleur and zip tie it to the wheel so it wont bend the hanger..

its something I do shipping bikes ..