Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clean Your Freewheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clean Your Freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 03:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I wrote the below in a different thread yesterday:

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
IMO, the best way to service a freewheel is to service it like any other set of bearings and races: Disassemble, clean, lube with grease, reassemble.

A freewheel is not a secondary cut of beef which benefits from an overnight soak in the marinade. A freewheel is not the Thanksgiving Turkey which enjoys basting.

Would you squirt some magic elixir into your headset or bottom bracket and expect it to be magically healed from all internal contamination? Would you figure out some way to soak your entire wheel in a vat of witches' brew made from some esoteric automotive mix of ingredients in order to service the hub's bearings?

Please treat your vintage freewheel with respect and service it properly.
I can show you all sorts of pictures (they are posted in other threads) of why the above doesn't ever really "clean" a freewheel and never lets you examine for corrosion or other damage.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-16-19, 04:35 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
It isn't my preferred solvent but it's what was at hand (lawn mower fuel). It's unleaded and alcohol-free. I used about 2-3 ounces.

Ever since they outlawed the sale and use of mineral spirits, I've been struggling to find a suitable replacement. Acetone is all they sell and it's so volatile, even compared to gasoline, I'm not yet sure what to use.

What do you use?
I use mineral spirits or WD-40. I hadn't realized you can't get mineral spirits in California.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 06-16-19 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 04:42 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Why do you say this?

Just because it's so flammable? The fumes bad to breathe? Don't want to get it on your skin?

I've used gasoline as a degreaser (outdoors) but mostly stick to WD40.
The fumes are bad and I don't like to get it on my hands, but my main concern is flammability. People get badly burned doing stuff like that with gasoline all the time.

Of course, people are also injured in bike accidents all the time, so it would not be unreasonable to say that flushing a freewheel with gas is just one more small added risk, especially if it's something one does infrequently. But given that safer and equally ineffective solvents are available (Pastor Bob is correct to point out that a solvent flush is perhaps better than nothing, but it's not a proper fix), I don't think it makes sense to use gasoline.

--Ogden Nash
Old 06-16-19, 07:43 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
My preferred degreasers are WD-40 and Black Jack Asphalt and Tar Remover.

I've disassembled and repacked about a dozen, or so, freewheels and don't mind doing so. But I understand if some don't care to.
Old 06-16-19, 07:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
If you use grease, which grease do you use inside your freewheels? How do you get it in and how do you clean and replenish it?

Do you disassemble the freewheel?

Did you install a zerk fitting?
Well, there's this:

Even has a Zerk fitting for your grease gun!

You have to be careful, though; cold weather can cause the pawls to fail to engage. Use the lightest grease available, not heavy-duty marine grade grease. Phil Wood used to distribute these injectors, and noted that you could remove the Zerk and thread a Phil grease tube directly into the injector, but I feel the Phil grease is far too viscous for this application.
Old 06-16-19, 08:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
I occasionally use gasoline - gasp - usually from the lawn mower or snowblower gas cans. Everything else .... everything, pales in comparison when it comes to getting the tough stuff clean. If I had a spare 90 minutes to clean a cassette with todays "degreasers" and a toothbrush, I would. But 30 seconds and a paintbrush dipped in gas does the job 1,000 times better. Sometimes I'll chain smoke Camels while watching Rambo in my fireworks / ammunition closet and clean a cassette. But seriously, there is a time and place, and with 2 brain cells, why not ??? Then again, I've cut the tags off pillows and may have used an aerosal can in a manner frowned upon by the US Government ..... ssshhhhhh.
That's some funny **** right here! I bet you got your first DWI when you were 16.
BITD, I too used gasoline. Everybody did.... it's all we had in the garage.
Now I have about 1/3 of a bottle of mineral spirits, and apparently you cannot get it here in Los Angeles. The next time I go to Bakersfield I'll see if I can pick up a case...and you will see me selling bottles in the Home Depot parking lot, right next to the day laborers. Not sure if it's a L.A. county ban or state wide.
What sane person actually takes apart a freewheel anyway? Clean it, use it.
Old 06-16-19, 09:02 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Which 5 speed freewheel costs $15?

Regarding cleaning, do you use them for a few miles and then throw them away?

How long do they last you without cleaning?

Please explain because the frugal cyclist in me is unable to grasp doing what I think you do?
All my bikes, with the exception of one, are 6 speeds. This is CV forum right? Universal cycles, eBay whatever, Shimano freewheel less then 15 bucks. Usually 3 to 5 years on a bike I ride regularly. Time is way more important then money, and any time I can avoid working with solvents, I will. All the guys I knew, that worked with solvents on a regular basis, are dead.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 06-16-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 09:53 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I tried the dribble oil in freewheel as BF members suggested, Once. It didn't work for me, it made my dura ace 6 speed freewheel loud. So disassembled, cleaned and repacked with grease, which BTW is the way they were originally assembled. Every original Shimano and campagnolo freewheel that I've cracked open was originally packed with grease. Also not marine grease (like jelly) but with lithium grease (like peanut butter). So thats what I use now. I like the Dura Ace freewheels and so I rebuild them and they'll probably last longer than me.
As for gasoline, my Dad used it to wash grease off his hands. I've done it too. He'd just pour some on each hand and then rub his hands together. But my Dad was from a whole different generation, farm boy, WW2 veteran and hands like bricks.
However my mechanic Uncle Joe introduced me to Gojo. Different generation, Vietnam veteran.
I now use mineral spirits or paint thinner, brush and gloves. I'm a different generation as well, smarter (maybe) but definitely not as tough but at least I'm Mentally strong like them.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-16-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 10:15 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Old bike shop method was give it a soak in the solvent tank, blow it out with a compressor (if there was one), dribble some Phil oil in there. Done.

A physical repack of a freewheel would have cost more than a new freewheel.

The solvent tank guy would come every so often and swap out your dirty solvent for new stuff.
Old 06-16-19, 10:48 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Gasoline! Man, that's living dangerously. I know there are others here who do the same, but I think it's nuts.
For those of us who grew up in the seventies all the great products we have available today didn’t exist. So we made due with what we had. Some still do.
Old 06-16-19, 11:44 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
In lieu of using gasoline or other solvent that will need to be discarded, many freewheels just need some lube and not any kind of flushing to work perfectly.

I keep a squeeze bottle with motor oil mixed with 20% solvent that I use as a general lube and penetrant prior to servicing old weathered bikes.
It goes on all of the threaded fasteners, pivots, derailer pulleys and metal-to-metal cable runs. It can even be used for temporary lubing of dried-out bearings on lesser-quality bicycles (sufficient to get the bike on the road for evaluation so that servicing over a period of actual use can be facilitated).

For freewheels that don't have seals, I put 20 drops into the drive-side gap between the inner and outer freewheel body, this for freewheels that are presumed to be virtually "dry" inside. I don't then normally have to re-visit the freewheel innards for some years, I save time, and am left with zero petro products to dispose of.

Cleaning a crusty freewheel exterior (and chainrings), I leave it dry and start with mechanical removal of inter-cog detritus using a stainless steel flat ruler against the sides of the spinning cogs. Depending on how gummy the deposits, the detritus may or may not simply fall off onto the grass at the side of my house where likely no one will step on it and track it around.
For tougher or "gloppy" deposits on bike components, gasoline is not a very aggressive solvent at all versus the petro-based Finish Line Citrus Degreaser, which aggressively dissolves almost all detritus except for water-proof grease (water-proof grease is troublesome if it is in a bearing retainer, almost impossible to clean out!).

Moral of the story is to use as little solvent as possible, and to keep all degreasing products away from your skin and from the air that you breath.

Last edited by dddd; 06-16-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 12:50 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I clean freewheels in a 50/50 denatured alcohol/acetone mix with a ultrasonic cleaner, because there are people out there that think filling a freewheel with spray can chain lube is a good idea, This solvent mix will dissolve almost any 45 year old goo that's in there with a one or two day soak, If that doesn't do it switch the solvent to MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), followed by blowing the internals with compressed air. For lubrication I use 85W/140 gear oil injected with a syringe and let it drip dry for a hour or so before installing. I have had good luck using this method.

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 06-16-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 03:34 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by cs1
For those of us who grew up in the seventies all the great products we have available today didn’t exist. So we made due with what we had. Some still do.
I don't actually remember much about the 1970s because I was taking a lot of acid. But I do remember the 60s pretty well. Things were really tough in those days. We didn't even have disco music or The Dukes of Hazzard then. But I seem to recall that we did have both mineral spirits and WD-40.

--Ogden Nash
Old 06-16-19, 05:12 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I don't actually remember much about the 1970s because I was taking a lot of acid. But I do remember the 60s pretty well. Things were really tough in those days. We didn't even have disco music or The Dukes of Hazzard then. But I seem to recall that we did have both mineral spirits and WD-40.
I’m glad nobody else is around to hear me laughing out loud over that one. Maybe the best answer yet on all of BF. Touché my friend.
Old 06-16-19, 05:32 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by cs1
I’m glad nobody else is around to hear me laughing out loud over that one. Maybe the best answer yet on all of BF. Touché my friend.
Glad I made you laugh. It's hard to get nuance on the internet sometimes. I was hoping you'd see that I was just messin' with you, not trying to give you a hard time. Carry on!
Jon V.

--Ogden Nash
Old 06-16-19, 10:28 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Well, I never new cleaning a freewheel was quite so controversial.

I keep single use, solvent-resistant glove in the parts cleaning tray. They not only keep the solvent off the skin but also the nasty, black grease.

No matter which solvent I use, I do my cleaning out of doors only, so there's lots of fresh air.

We also have a stiff on-shore flow at all times, so there's not really any solvent smell, either.

Perhaps, I will disassemble, clean and grease one of my unused freewheels. I haven't done that in a long, long time. I have all the tools needed.

For lube, I have quite a selection of greases, including a large tub of waterproof grease that looks and feels just like Phil grease. Lithium grease was suggested, I have some of that, too.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-17-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:59 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Well, I never new cleaning a freewheel was quite so controversial....

Perhaps, I will disassemble, clean and grease one of my unused freewheels. I haven't done that in a long, long time. I have all the tools needed.

For lube, have quite a selection of greases, including a large tub of waterproof grease that looks and feels just like Phil grease. Lithium grease was suggested, I have some of that, too.
Good for you!

I almost exclusively use Super Lube synthetic grease. It has the widest temperature range and is extremely resistant to water and salt contamination. I've worked on a significant number of freewheels which were ridden in coastal areas and they suffer significantly from internal moisture and salt contamination. No amount of "flush and dribble" will properly service one.

For instance this DuraAce 6 speed from Long Island (IIRC), which is equipped with extra seals (making "flush and dribble" nearly impossible) to keep the contaminates outside and the good the grease on the inside:

The outside doesn't look too bad, but as I opened it for cleaning and service, first removing the top plastic seal and the outer bearing race/retaining ring...

...and discovered this.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-17-19, 08:08 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Phil grease is fine for freewheel internals. Back when such things were possible it was my experience the pawls would get sticky at around minus ten Fahrenheit.
Old 06-17-19, 01:07 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I have so many greases it's not funny; more than a lifetime's supply. I have red. I have blue. I have black. I have white,...

Holy smoke!, that freewheel looks terrible. I'd say it is a testament to how poor seals are more of a hindrance than a help. Once the stuff gets in, it cannot get out. Also, it shows how grease traps contaminants, whereas, solvent and oil flush them back out.

The pictures are also a good prompt to actually take one apart and see how I'm doing. My freewheels have survived for almost 50 years on a diet of solvents and Phil oil. Still, it will be instructive to take a look. Holy smoke!, t
Old 06-17-19, 01:48 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
I never knew grease collecting was a thing !
Old 06-17-19, 03:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I really enjoy disassembling, cleaning and then rebuilding a freewheel when I'm in the mood for it. The quietness of a rebuilt freewheel can be quite soothing.

Cheers
Old 06-17-19, 03:46 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

I found that I like older freewheels after trying the newer ramped shimano offerings early on because I could better feel/hear the actual shift process and therefore could tell I had the chain in the sweet spot.

When i first tried ramps people I was riding with had to tell me to adjust my chain half the time. That’s my age I know.

Right now I have a suntour perfect 5 speed apart and ready to lube. It’s great fun and since the cogs aren’t worn it will run just like new.

I do like six speeds better but have a harder time finding ultra spaced versions.

Last edited by obuckler; 06-17-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 05:06 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
IMO, the best way to service a freewheel is to service it like any other set of bearings and races: Disassemble, clean, lube with grease, reassemble.

A freewheel is not a secondary cut of beef which benefits from an overnight soak in the marinade. A freewheel is not the Thanksgiving Turkey which enjoys basting.

Would you squirt some magic elixir into your headset or bottom bracket and expect it to be magically healed from all internal contamination? Would you figure out some way to soak your entire wheel in a vat of witches' brew made from some esoteric automotive mix of ingredients in order to service the hub's bearings?

...and discovered this.

Pastor Bob, you have made your points eloquently. And, I agree with you. I know that many here don't want to open up a free wheel and try to corral all those tiny balls and it is easy to buy an new one. I like my old SunTours and Shimanos. It is not too hard to do. By the way, I also like Regina Oro's and Atom freewheels, but don't have any in the fleet now.

I think Sheldon Brown advocated for not opening up a freewheel and I see his point. If your pedaling, there is no friction from the freewheel, there is nothing slowing you down, the only time a freewheel will slow you down is when you are coasting. A bike shop would never rebuild a freewheel, but as a hobbyist, I do it.

I like smooth quiet freewheels even if it doesn't really improve my efficiency.
Old 06-24-19, 06:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Pastor Bob, you have made your points eloquently. And, I agree with you. I know that many here don't want to open up a free wheel and try to corral all those tiny balls and it is easy to buy an new one. I like my old SunTours and Shimanos. It is not too hard to do. By the way, I also like Regina Oro's and Atom freewheels, but don't have any in the fleet now.

I think Sheldon Brown advocated for not opening up a freewheel and I see his point. If your pedaling, there is no friction from the freewheel, there is nothing slowing you down, the only time a freewheel will slow you down is when you are coasting. A bike shop would never rebuild a freewheel, but as a hobbyist, I do it.

I like smooth quiet freewheels even if it doesn't really improve my efficiency.
A bike shop won't rebuild a freewheel because it'd cost the customer as much or more than a new freewheel would. I think that's why so many home bicycle mechanics learned to do their own freewheel rebuilds. Besides that, it's not really that hard to do. The hardest part is getting the body back onto the carrier without displacing any of the ball bearings. The next trickiest part is getting the pawls into place as the freewheel is reassemble. All that isn't really hard to but is kind of finicky.

Cheers
Old 06-24-19, 08:07 PM
BrewsterII

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Pastor Bob rebuilt the Shimano freewheel on my Trek. It runs so smooth I think I actually gain speed when coasting, LOL. I have 1 or 2 more I need to send back to him. The results are more than worth the money IMHO.

Last edited by BrewsterII; 06-24-19 at 08:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.