Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V brakepad is too high

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

V brakepad is too high

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 01:20 PM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V brakepad is too high

So i have a issue with my v brakes.they are fairly new.but the problem is on the rear wheel on the right side of the brakes its too high.the left side i can adjust and move great but the right side even on the lowest height it is too high up near the rim.the wheel is in good true also so i guess i can rule that out.much help would be appreciated!!

Old 06-06-19, 01:27 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Step 1: Make sure the wheel is all the way seated in the dropouts and is generally straight in the frame.
Old 06-06-19, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have found different brakes can adjust further down , slot variation , + frame-post variation..
A lower cost Tektro worked, where nicer otherwise , TRP did not...
Old 06-06-19, 01:57 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Maybe it's just the perspective of the photo, but that brake arm looks like it's angled out too much.

Can you rearrange the spacers on the pad post to get the pad closer to the brake arm? That might make the pad lower when it contacts the rim.
Old 06-06-19, 02:08 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by tyrion
Can you rearrange the spacers on the pad post to get the pad closer to the brake arm? That might make the pad lower when it contacts the rim.
Good observation.

To give some clarity to the suggestion for the OP -

Each pad should have five washers: one thin flat washer that goes directly under the 'nut' you tighten to fix the pad in place, two concave washers - a thick one and a thin one (you have the thickone closer to the rim side of the pad in the pictures) and two convex washers (these go on either side of the brake arm to form a ball around which the concave washers can move to allow adjustment of the pads. If you take the pad off the arm you will have a handful of these washers (or a floor covered in them), and they should go on in the following sequence:

Slide the thin concave washer on to brake pad post
Slide one convex washer onto brake pad post so it nests in the concave washer
Put brake pad post through Vbrake arm and hold in place
Put on the other convex washer, round side out
Put the thick concave washer over the convex washer
Put on the thin flat washer
Thread the nut onto the post to hold the whole thing together.

This should allow the arm to move in farther and make the brake easier to adjust.

But like I said before - the first step is to ensure the wheel is fully seated in the dropouts... many an hour has been spent fruitlessly trying to get brakes adjusted, only to find later that the wheel isn't straight in the frame or fork, so all that effort is wasted.
Old 06-07-19, 01:00 PM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Step 1: Make sure the wheel is all the way seated in the dropouts and is generally straight in the frame.
Welp that was the fix lol.i guess i got a little lazy putting the rear wheel on and taking my time.thanks thanks
Old 06-10-19, 06:17 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by shine2000
Welp that was the fix lol.i guess i got a little lazy putting the rear wheel on and taking my time.thanks thanks
It happens all the time - even when working in a bike shop, because when a bike is up on a repair stand it is actually more difficult to get the wheel seated than when it is on the ground... in a stand you have to pull the axles up with your fingers while adjusting and tightening the quick release - an error-prone task. If you are working on a bike on the ground, you just loosen the QR and the weight of the bike will evenly and consistently push the axle into the dropouts and hold it there while you adjust and tighten the QR.

I think the industry switch to thru-axle type dropouts will make this more rare.