Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Testicular pain after cycling

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-21-09, 10:38 AM
cujet
I give up!

Bikes: Homemade Ti, Hab frame

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

I am experiencing left testicle pain after cycling. It hangs around for about 1 week after a ride. Needless to say, this is putting a damper on my exercise.

I'm 46, so, from what I have read, there is not much risk of cancer at this point. However, I find it very uncomfortable.

I have tried different seats and positions. I also make sure to use good quality cycling shorts and move my parts up and out of the way. Still, the pain continues. I really don't want to give up cycling. However, it's not looking good.

I have no issues with numbness. Just singular left testicle pain. I'm fairly certain of it.

I am looking for answers or suggestions. Otherwise, I will have a nice Ti bike for sale.

Chris

Last edited by cujet; 10-22-09 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:54 AM
pharmboyrx

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure its testicular pain? It could be referred pain. I got what I thought was testicular pain, until I figured out it was related to some lower back pain due to my left leg being shorter. Threw a shim under my cleat and problem was solved.

When I had issues with numbness, my bibs were the biggest contributor. I found that a thinner chamois resulted in less pressure on everything. Certainly pressure could also cause pain, not just numbness. If you've already tried plenty of saddles, maybe try a chamois that is roughly the opposite of what you have now. Thick vs thin, whichever you have.
Old 10-21-09, 12:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
^+1
This is your first real bike? What saddle are you using? Have someone take photos of you on the bike, one with the cranks in line with the seat tube, one with the cranks horizontal. Hands on hoods for both. And a photo of the saddle. Do you have an appointment scheduled with a doctor? Can't hurt to look into it.
Old 10-21-09, 02:23 PM
aeiadart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this problem too, for me its not sharp pain but it is noticeable.
Old 10-22-09, 07:28 AM
cujet
I give up!

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
^+1
This is your first real bike? What saddle are you using? Have someone take photos of you on the bike, one with the cranks in line with the seat tube, one with the cranks horizontal. Hands on hoods for both. And a photo of the saddle. Do you have an appointment scheduled with a doctor? Can't hurt to look into it.
No, not my first real bike. I've ridden this one about 4000 miles. Previous bike had a touch under 12K on it. Prior to that, I had various less expensive bikes. Lifetime, maybe 30K.

Seat is a Specialized road seat with the cutout. Sorry, but I don't remember the model.

I have been fitted professionally. However, I will take your suggestion with the pics.

I'll pass on going to the doc right now. I'm not riding and not having pain.
Old 10-22-09, 11:56 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A hernia might feel like that.

Turn your head and cough!
Old 10-22-09, 01:17 PM
hiker88

Bikes: 2009 Waterford S-22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to say it, but I have a bad hip and when it acts up, my right testicle becomes sore. Ever have any burning in the glute or groin area?
Old 10-22-09, 01:26 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the bike fit is correct, and a saddle change doesn't effect the pain, then go see a dr. Testicle pain could be any number of things ranging from nerve impingement or torqued testicle up to testicular cancer. But most likely its bike fit or saddle related.
Old 10-22-09, 02:17 PM
pharmboyrx

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to tell this story about my first time with testicular pain.

One day I had alternating dull aches with sharp pains in my left testicle. I worried about it all day then finally got the nerve to go to an urgent care clinic.

So I get in to see the Dr. I of course have to drop my drawers and turn and cough several times. After a thorough examination he says he can't find any hernia, but it may be testicular torsion which is diagnosed with ultrasound. So he calls the local ER and tells them I'm coming.

I show up and luckily there is no wait. I am given my very own paper gown and told to wait for the Dr. He shows up with his TWO STUDENTS!!! So I now have to bare all for these guys. I turn and cough while standing and lying down. The Dr has the students practice hernia detection on me.

Of note, I have a spermatoceole in my left testicle. Basically a sperm duct sprung a leak and I have a little lump there. I told the Dr, and he's like, "Oh yes, here it is. See it?" while holding my left nut up for all to see.

So now I have to go get my ultrasound. You know the gel and apparatus they use on pregnant women? Yeah they used that on my junk. The worst part was the nurse doing the procedure was gorgeous and it had to have been 50 degrees in the room so shrinkage was a major factor. No way I could have looked cool at that point. So she is examining me and I keep hearing the woosh noise coming from the machine. I ask her if that is a bad noise. She says, "No that means there is blood flow." I say, "Well we want blood flow don't we?"

So after all this, they couldn't find anything wrong. They gave me some ibuprofen and sent me home with a referral to a PCP. So basically I paid $1200 to quadruple the number of people who have seen me in the buff and find out that I have excellent blood flow to my testicles.

So maybe there is a good side to testicle pain. You can sure end up with some great stories.
Old 10-23-09, 07:20 AM
cujet
I give up!

Thanks!

Any other suggestions on things to try? Have any of you had luck with a particular seat? Maybe something out of the ordinary?

Also, testicle torsion, is that common in cyclists? I would classify the pain as no more than moderate, however, I'm not good at rating pain. I thought my shattered arm was tolerable after the initial shock.

I don't have any other pain or soreness, no other problems with joints or muscles, no testicle abnormalities that I can tell. No numbness either. As I mentioned, I have been riding for many years. Yet, this is something fairly new. Maybe I have a twistified testicle as mentioned above. Can this be determined by the testicle owner?
Old 10-23-09, 10:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Google "testicular torsion." My guess is that's not it, that you'd be feeling it all the time, not just after/during riding. And, from the googled description, you'd feel a lump. My guess is that you dinged it somehow and it's just a little tender, which you don't notice unless your shorts/saddle are pushing on it.
Old 10-23-09, 11:36 AM
Denny Koll

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Google "testicular torsion." My guess is that's not it, that you'd be feeling it all the time, not just after/during riding. And, from the googled description, you'd feel a lump. My guess is that you dinged it somehow and it's just a little tender, which you don't notice unless your shorts/saddle are pushing on it.
I agree. A little rest and some Ben Gay and you will feel better.
Old 10-23-09, 09:40 PM
cujet
I give up!

Originally Posted by Denny Koll
I agree. A little rest and some Ben Gay and you will feel better.
I tried the Ben Gay on the testicles. It took the moderate pain away quite quickly However, the moderate pain was quickly replaced by a skin searing burn. Maybe not the best $4 I have spent
Old 11-18-09, 10:32 AM
vsopking

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the the saddle nose position - a wee tiny bit to the right or left instead may give relieve.
My own experience ;-)
Old 01-21-11, 11:40 PM
tblendell

Bikes: cannondale topstone, caad 10, trek superfly, bike friday pocket rocket

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
same thing here. it kind of comes and goes and varies with intensity. had it check out by my doc who diagnosed a hernia, then the surgeon who felt nothing, then a urologist who said there was a little swelling with the-pardon the technical term-"tube" that connects to the bottom of the testicle. had the ultrasound and basically the same experience as pharmboyrx. take some ibuprofen. the urologist also said this kind of thing just happens. sometimes for no discernible reason.
if it was torsion that is something that is apparently so painful you'd probably actually be in the ER instead of posting about it online.
Old 01-22-11, 02:54 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know it is not the same symptom, but it could have the same cause. I had horrible numbness, both testicles and penis, which really messed with my riding until I recently bought a Selle SMP saddle. Their cutouts are full length, and that made all the difference in the world for me. The nose also has a radical downslope, aloowing you to use tilt soley to get the right angle of the seat against your sit-bones, instead of using tilt to avoid irritating your junk.

I give the seat, and the company, a real thumbs up. For once, everything I read on the hype pages of a product site turned out to be true. And I got a smokin' deal by buying a seat that had cosmetic flaws: the measurement markings on the rails weren't very clear. $70 off for that. You know you for sure have a saddle issue when, after a week off the bike (crash repairs), your wife asks if you got an implant.
Old 01-22-11, 10:41 PM
obiwan kenobi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a pain something like that, isolated to one side, come to find out it was due to tight back/hip muscles pulling and tightening that radiated pain to that region.
Old 01-23-11, 02:09 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
If it's like me, it was the bike shorts.

I have a third testicle.

I first noticed it while touring in France in 2003. It sort of put a damper on enjoying the riding as the idea of cancer coursed through my mind.

The first doctor I saw about it when I got home just did a physical, hands-on examination, then related a story about how an Italian family had three balls as their family symbol. He said it had to do with inflammation of the vas on the side of the testicle. It was a lot more common that I would imagine, he said.

I had noticed in France that my shorts let my right testicle sort of bobble around a bit, and this evidently was enough to cause the irritation.

Last year, I had another consultation with another doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound just to make sure. It was interesting to see the difference between the testicular tissue and the tissue in the false ball that had grown on the right one... there was s sort of cascading of "glitter" on the screen in that area. The glitter was actually dead cells.

Anyway, all was good according to the ultrasound. I didn't need to do anything else.

Be aware that the pads in bike shorts come in different widths depending on the manufacturer. I was wearing New Zealand Cima shorts back in 2003, but now I wear Pearl Izumis because the pads are just the right dimension to keep my testicles nicely packaged without flopping sideways, and to look after my butt.

I have found only one other brand that has a similar width chamois, and they will likely do for training as the PIs are reserved for long-distance events and touring.

That's my contribution to the discussion. I am not connected with the medical industry in any way, and I am just recounting my personal experience where similar pain existed when the issue manifested itself.

As a by-the-by, because I live in Australia where we have a really healthy public medical care system, the second doctor's consults and ultrasound cost me... around $150 out of pocket.
Old 02-13-16, 01:25 PM
xleninx

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pharmboyrx
Are you sure its testicular pain? It could be referred pain. I got what I thought was testicular pain, until I figured out it was related to some lower back pain due to my left leg being shorter. Threw a shim under my cleat and problem was solved.

When I had issues with numbness, my bibs were the biggest contributor. I found that a thinner chamois resulted in less pressure on everything. Certainly pressure could also cause pain, not just numbness. If you've already tried plenty of saddles, maybe try a chamois that is roughly the opposite of what you have now. Thick vs thin, whichever you have.
I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I am in the exact same situation and in particular the same position as Pharmboyrx. You said you had the same experience, but in reality it was referred lower back pain because of a short left leg. I too am experiencing this same pain (really below my testicle, not in it), and I too have a shorter left leg due to breaking my hip two years ago and a faulty repair. After about 4 or 5 hours of road riding I experience this pain, so I bought a pack of 3mm shims and put one under my left cleat (I'm not certain my leg difference, but my heel lift is about 1/2" and if anything is a smidge higher than I need). But when I use the shim I experience pain in my right knee (or slightly above it). Did you experience anything like this when you shimmed your cleat? Sorry to bother you, I'm just desperate for help!

Thank you so much!
Larry
Old 02-14-16, 09:20 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that this is an old thread, but as a testicular cancer survivor.... If you have pain in a testicle, definitely do a self-exam. If anything seems wrong at all, see a doctor. If nothing seems wrong, but the pain persists, consider seeing a doctor anyway. In many cases, the pain will indicate something else, but it's not something to ignore.
Old 02-23-16, 09:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Interesting thread. I've recently had a similar issue. My story is that I had an inguinal hernia repair(mesh-free) on the right side about 3 years ago. For the last 3 years that side has felt iron-clad and have had no post-op pain, or any discomfort. I also have a smallish inguinal hernia starting on the left side. At first my doc didn't detect it, but I KNEW it. Now, he agrees it's there. It's completely reducible and doesn't really bother me, so I'm "waiting and watching". Hasn't been a problem really.
I've only been mountain biking until recently, with a pretty upright position on my mtb. So, I just got a new bike 2 mos ago, a cross bike set up for urban adventuring, etc. I just got it and started riding it, and figured I'd sort the fit out as I went along. Well, naturally I went on a couple long/hard rides with it right out of the gate, and voila! I started getting pain on both sides--going down into my testicles. Obviously something was amiss. I've deduced that I was too stretched out, and I was essentially rolling my pelvis forward, grinding on the soft tissue instead of perched up on my sit bones. I aggravated the scar tissue where the hernia repair is, and also the other side in the process. My doc can't detect anything else, we're both just guessing that's it. So I've since adjusted the cockpit fairly dramatically--shorter reach, and decidedly higher bars, and I think I've got it now. It's not the riding position I'd imagined, quite the opposite, but maybe at 55 I just don't bend at the hips/waist enough anymore. Anyhow, FWIW, I had to change up my riding position quite a bit, by fairly large increments, to get past it.

Last edited by pbass; 02-23-16 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 12:45 PM
plaucc

Bikes: Giant Revolt, Specialized Diverge, Jamis Dragon 29, Giant XTC, Giant Defy 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had it recently but it's better now. It was the connecting nerve from my on/off lower back pain, sure gave me a big scare. Went to medical check out and doctor says it's fine, kind of embarrassing to be inspected by a lady doctor LOL. Recommended extra strong Ibuprofen. Now I exercise more carefully as my body gets older, especially sit-ups and abs exercising.
Old 04-06-16, 11:36 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, not to revive again, but as a person that went through torsion and correction nearly 30 years ago I think it's important to let people know my experience as torsion can have some very significant side affects if not treated.

On several occasions in my late teens I had what I later found was a torsion. I would on occasion get some significant soreness that would resolve after a few hours. It was akin to being kicked. One morning after a ride the previous day where I had crashed I woke up with severe pain and an enlarged testicle. By that I mean golf ball size and it was incredibly painful. My parents rushed me to the hospital and by the time I we got there it was approaching racketball status. The doc immediately recognized the problem and was able to resolve the torsion. Because it was so acute, they immediately sent me up for surgery and performed a bilateral orchiopexy, meaning the conditions for torsion were present on both sides so it was repaired on both sides to ensure it would not happen again.

The short of it is that the testical can be destroyed if not treated. You have 5-6 hours before damage begins to occur. If it happens in your sleep as it did with mine you may not even notice it is happening until you wake up and your circulation increases. By then the circulation could have been cut off for hours. Not unlike your arm falling to sleep because you're sleeping funny.

The conditions (improperly attached testicle) are also likely to appear in families, so if you have it your kid has pretty good odds of having it. It is most common in teens that are active in sports, but particularly in cycling and distance running for obvious reasons. Do not be fooled, post procedure is painful. When mine occurred it ended my hopes of becoming a professional cyclist. It was 3-4 months before I was able to ride again comfortably for distance and gone was any desire to spend entire days on the bike again and this lasted for a few years. Even today when I go for a long ride I get discomfort. The upside was that they caught it when they did, something like 40% of cases result in testicular loss. The procedure obviously worked because I have children and was told by the doc that there is a small possibility I would have difficulty as there was no way to know how much damage had been done.

It's a lot more common than you think, something like 1 in 20,000. The sad thing is I've run into other cyclists over the years that have had the same thing and some have had to have prosthetic testicals because they did not catch it in time. Others are sterile.

Symptoms are what has been described here. Acute testicular pain with possible swelling. Sometimes it does not fully torse which is what will cause the pain. It will feel very much like a hernia. Do not mess around with this. If it hurts, get checked.

Last edited by Allez3; 04-07-16 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-15-16, 09:01 AM
jberenyi

Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been cycling for many years and yesterday after about 35 miles I started noticing my left testicle feeling a little tender. I was grateful we only did 50 miles yesterday. I'm still a little tender today but not as bad as yesterday. The only thing I changed lately on my bike was the position of the nose of the saddle. I raised it a few degrees because I was sliding forward with my new Aliante saddle. I have used this style saddle on all my bikes but this saddle being new was not broke in yet. So I tilted the nose up a little. Guess I'll have to put it back down and hope this issue does not return. One thing I have always wondered... why the cycling industry has never developed a pouch for shorts that your junk can nestle into. I think this would be a great idea and if you didn't want it just flip it out of the way. Oh well.

PS. Just got back checking the level of the saddle compared to the other bikes. The nose was much higher than the other bikes using the same saddle. Its level now and we'll see how it does with me.

Last edited by jberenyi; 05-15-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:48 PM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody, I realize this is an old thread but it seems like it gets checked in on/added to every now and then when people are finding themselves in a similar position, so I figured for the sake of community in dealing with a god awful problem to have, I would share my current circumstances. Don't know if anyone will read it, but anyway:

I started having some very noticeable pain a few weeks ago after one particularly hard ride. About a month prior I'd just purchased a fantastic new gravel bike which I have been riding hard and often for the first few weeks, as I was thrilled with my awesome new bike. But almost suddenly after a particularly hard ride I've had pain in the testes to the point where I currently dread sitting down on my saddle. I had a professional fit done to be sure positioning wasn't the problem and my fitter hypothesized that it was probably a case of doing "too much too fast". I've been riding bikes for a number of years now but this bike is by FAR the most aggressive positioning I've ever ridden in terms of reach and downward upper body angle. I feel that this put more pressure on my male parts rather than sitting back and more upright on my sitbones as I have in the past.

There is some background for me as well- As an infant I had an undescended testicle, which from what I understand is not super uncommon and in most cases (like mine) resolved relatively easily. Also, around 2011 I suffered a kick to the area which definitely put a damper on my life for a while. I saw a doctor then after not seeing a full recovery from the injury on it's own and I believed they checked for torsion then and determined that wasn't the case (I don't think I was in quite that level of acute pain, more just a steady unceasing tenderness that made me very apprehensive to do any athletic activity). Bc of this I had to give up running and after finding a more supportive boxer brief brand ironically switched to biking, albeit with a more upright style of bike. Biking seemed to be the happy medium for a number of years now and my go to method of exercise when I want to sweat, until this incident a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I'm back in square one.

I know it's hard to recommend for other people but if anyone has any saddle recommendations I am all ears. ISM seems good for this market but that's all that's really stood out to me so far other than looking for a shorter nose, wider rear section, and cut outs. Switching back to flat bar and keeping my body more upright I guess seems like a sensible thing to do as well although I'm a little bummed at the prospect of doing that bc I was really starting to entertain the possibility of working towards some competitions or maybe a triathalon.

Anyway, any bike OR medical recommendations are definitely welcome if anyone ends up reading this. Also to the OP or anyone else who has posted here, did you guys find any resolution in your problems? I certainly hope so. Biking is such a great freeing relief. Having it taken way would be truly depressing.

Sorry for the long post, best to all you guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.