Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

All you 8-5 Roadies...Bike to work? During Lunch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 10:49 AM
stien
neits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I just started my 8-5 job for the summer on Cape Cod. I used to bike to work (same place) in the winter but I worked 7-3:30. It's a hilly 5 miles each way, really excited to start riding in again.

My problem is that without riding to/from work, I feel like I don't get enough exercise during the week. Not paying for a gym membership. I'm concerned that I may end up needing a shower when I get to work, which isn't really possible. I can however wash my face and apply deoderant. Also thinking about riding for 45 minutes during my lunch hour (as opposed to trolling BF), same issue.

Any 8-5ers doing this?

Another problem is where to stash my smelly clipless shoes
Old 05-10-10, 11:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Suggested solution: take an easy ride to work, and ride hard home, taking the long way or adding several miles.

That way you don't have to worry about showering at work.

Put stinky shoes in a grocery bag and/or desk drawer.
Old 05-10-10, 11:27 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be fine. Baby wipes are helpful, so maybe keep 'em in your desk. Deodorant is good. Ride hard in the morning or the evening. Go the long way. Do hill repeats. Riding to work is great no matter how hard you go. Whatever you like. Have fun.
Old 05-10-10, 11:27 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I ride after work (8-5:30 M-F). Group rides at 6:00 or 6:15 on Mon/Wed. Races at 7 pm on Tue. Thu and Fri I try and ride on my own. Sat I ride at about 6 (work till 5).

I also sit on the trainer late at night (10 pm to midnight last night). I've ridden at night in the past but I seem to be wimpier now than before.

cdr
Old 05-10-10, 11:31 AM
RomeRider
Outside

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How hot can it be in Cape Cod with a sea breeze blowing? I ride to and from work in Georgia and manage to towel off and wear dress clothes at work. You can do it if you are determined. When my job moves to a new location 50 miles from home I will have to have a new system in place. I may ride at lunch, which will make me much sweatier. They plan to have shower facilities so it may work ok. Traffic around Kennesaw (near Atlanta) concerns me a lot more.
Old 05-10-10, 11:21 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
Suggested solution: take an easy ride to work, and ride hard home, taking the long way or adding several miles.

That way you don't have to worry about showering at work.

Put stinky shoes in a grocery bag and/or desk drawer.
Yeah to ride harder on way home and add several miles.
Yeah to stinky shoes in carrier bag.
But they'll have double the potency when you take them outta the bag, so you might wanna do that when you get outside. Also, look to clean your shoes weekly or something. Do those de-odourizers work on bike shoes as well?
Old 05-11-10, 12:57 AM
tallmantim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I've been commuting for over 15 years now - I always shower when I get to work. If my work did not have showers themselves, I struck up a deal with a local gym so I could have a locker and shower at a discounted price (or took up a regular gym membership).

I like to go hard on the commute, so I am usually sweaty by the time I get to work.

I have worked with several people who did about the same distance as you (not sure about the hills) and didn't shower, but don't be that guy who stinks in the office.
Old 05-11-10, 02:16 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't understand why more road cyclists don't commute. I ride 15-20 miles round trip a day, five days a week and have room for 75-100 miles on weekends. This is a pittance compared to some, but if I don't ride my bike when the weather is nice, it feels like sinning, and not the fun sinning.
Old 05-11-10, 03:32 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
I don't understand why more road cyclists don't commute. I ride 15-20 miles round trip a day, five days a week and have room for 75-100 miles on weekends. This is a pittance compared to some, but if I don't ride my bike when the weather is nice, it feels like sinning, and not the fun sinning.
One of the things I'm most excited about regarding my impending move to boston is the fact that I get to ride to work during the nice part of the year and ride to get around. Yay!
Old 05-11-10, 06:38 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I rode in today, running about 80% capacity. With a backpack I still sweated a little, but I washed my face and put on deoderant and I'm golden.

Do you guys leave clothes at the office or backpack clothes in every day? I'm contemplating buying an extra pair of jeans to leave at work.

Also, free time is dangerous! I bought a matching bib/jersey set on ebay last night. I need a speedtrap too, sheesh.

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
One of the things I'm most excited about regarding my impending move to boston is the fact that I get to ride to work during the nice part of the year and ride to get around. Yay!
Enjoy Boston, just be mindful of idiots. It's a great place to bike. Try biking out wetst to Newton and beyond. See all the rich roadies!
Old 05-11-10, 07:43 AM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My locker is crammed with canned soup, iced tea for lunch. Dity bags for clean undies and socks and a seperate one for "depleted" ones. I use an employer provided uniform. I also have a shower in the locker room. Once every week or two the weather gets crappy enough for me to drive the car, and I use those days to pack supplies in and laundry out.