Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What did other leather saddle makers recommend for care and maintenance?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 10:27 AM
Bone Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Of course Brooks recommends that only Proofide be used on leather saddles. I'm wondering what other manufacturers (Ideale, Wrights, etc.) recommended for their saddles. Does anyone have any literature from other makers indicating what should be used on their saddles?
Old 09-09-17, 10:34 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
What works for one saddle maker, usually works for another. I doubt if the properties of their leather is that different from one another......so cheapskate me just uses the Berthoud saddle wax on my Brooks Pro and Imperial saddles with no problems, so far.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-09-17, 11:00 AM
Bone Machine

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I've read dozens threads debating the merits of Proofide. I'm sure the other manufacturers wouldn't endorse a competitor's product. So what did they recommend?
Old 09-09-17, 11:15 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Obenauf's is frequently recommended, and it seems very similar toGilles Berthoud's saddle treatment. It's also much easier to apply than Proofide.
Old 09-09-17, 11:56 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I owned a couple of leather saddles back in the 1970s. The local bike shop recommended Proofide for all brands of leather saddles. Some people used neatsfoot oil (which was then a popular treatment for baseball gloves).
Old 09-09-17, 12:04 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I use pure neatsfoot oil sparingly on saddles because I was cautioned that it does soften the leather. Also, there are two grades of neatsfoot - 100% pure, and one that is blended with petroleum distillates.
Old 09-09-17, 03:10 PM
Bone Machine

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I asked my question out of pure curiosity. I use Proofide myself. I have nine Brooks saddles and several bikes with Brooks handlebar tape, and have used it on all of them.
A company like Ideale that sold millions of leather saddles, must have told their customers how to take care of them.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what they (or other makers) recommended.
Old 09-09-17, 08:53 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
This is kind of a polarizing topic. The correct answer is somewhere probably somewhere between "Only Proofhide", and "Anything oily will be fine".

Muddying the waters even further, Proofhide has changed formulations over the years, and in "ye olden days" Brooks even recommended neatsfoot oil, or other common dressings. (Back in the 20s-30s, before they introduced Proofhide).

Leather dressings provide two general benefits: 1) They replace oils that evaporate and or polymerize into varnishes. Not enough oils allow the fibers to oxidize, and can lead to brittleness, and eventual cracking. 2) They provide surface protection or gloss. Usually through some sort of wax that remains on the surface after the oils / solvents evaporate and are absorbed. Buffing will bring out a shine, and give it some water resistance.

Which product to use depends a bit on the condition of the leather. If it is really dry and neglected, something like Aussie Dressing, or Obernaufs would be a good choice. If the leather is still in pretty good shape, Proofhide seems to supply minimal oils, but quite a bit of wax. I tend to use the oily stuff to resuscitate saddles, and Proofhide for general (once or twice a year) maintenance.
Old 09-10-17, 10:59 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
This is kind of a polarizing topic. The correct answer is somewhere probably somewhere between "Only Proofhide", and "Anything oily will be fine".

Muddying the waters even further, Proofhide has changed formulations over the years, and in "ye olden days" Brooks even recommended neatsfoot oil, or other common dressings. (Back in the 20s-30s, before they introduced Proofhide).

Leather dressings provide two general benefits: 1) They replace oils that evaporate and or polymerize into varnishes. Not enough oils allow the fibers to oxidize, and can lead to brittleness, and eventual cracking. 2) They provide surface protection or gloss. Usually through some sort of wax that remains on the surface after the oils / solvents evaporate and are absorbed. Buffing will bring out a shine, and give it some water resistance.

Which product to use depends a bit on the condition of the leather. If it is really dry and neglected, something like Aussie Dressing, or Obernaufs would be a good choice. If the leather is still in pretty good shape, Proofhide seems to supply minimal oils, but quite a bit of wax. I tend to use the oily stuff to resuscitate saddles, and Proofhide for general (once or twice a year) maintenance.
I agree 100%.

We can't talk about Proofide, and how to use it, as if it's always the same thing. The color, smell, purpose and instructions have changed over the years. I have come to the conclusion that Brooks customers were willing to pay extra for any stuff to smear on their saddle as long as it came with a Brooks endorsement, and the marketing department at Brooks didn't want to leave money on the table.

It's harmless, if used in moderation, but it's a surface treatment. It will not make an old saddle new again.

As for Idéale... this is a little off topic, but... they used several different leather treatments over the years. "Speciale" and "Professional" and "Competition Speciale" were various leather treatments applied at the factory, along with the stamps indicating "impermeable" and the like. "Type Record" was, in contrast, leather that has not been treated in one of those ways. I wish I could say more about this, but that's the limit of my understanding.
Old 09-10-17, 01:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The hard truth is people used saddle soap. No fancy schmancy special preparations. If it was good enough for a baseball glove or shoe or horse saddle, it was good enough for a bike saddle. I also recall there being a big can of neatsfoot oil in the back of Velo Sport in Berkeley, for desperately hard saddles. I don't really remember Idéale recommending anything. For that matter I don't remember Brooks recommending anything until their relatively recent revival, though I suppose proofide has been around a long time.
Old 09-10-17, 06:15 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I don't remember Brooks recommending anything until their relatively recent revival, though I suppose proofide has been around a long time.
"1933: Proofide joins the Brooks product range"

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/timeline