Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Brooks Saddles Really All That Great?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Brooks Saddles Really All That Great?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 09:24 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Mine is, both of them. I had one for 53 years, got caught in a heavy rain for over 10 miles, and the leather split. I got a new one on ebay, if it lasts another 53 years, I'll be almost 130 years old.
Old 10-06-17, 09:27 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Mine is ... great. I rode one for 53 years, got caught in a killer rain storm for 15 miles, and the leather finally split. I got a new one on ebay. If it lasts another 53 years, I'll be 121 years old. I've got two, love them both.
Old 10-06-17, 11:46 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 137 miles on mine in one day and hope to double that number soon. I'm using the B17 imperial model.
Old 10-07-17, 09:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Yes!

Yes!

And Gyes makes similar saddles at a much friendlier price.

Old 10-07-17, 10:32 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I love mine.
Old 10-09-17, 06:53 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
For me, a layer of leather tensioned over a metal frame works best for me. Does it matter which company makes the saddle - no. However there does seem to be a broad variation in saddle type vs bike application. Have the b-17 on a bike Friday NWT - comfortable. A Brooks imperial on a Fuse mountain bike, saddle is just a little higher than handlebar- pretty comfortable. Run the sella Anatomica on a commuting bike with a more upright riding position - very comfortable. Have a custom steel road bike with a GB Aravis saddle. This is the most comfortable bike/saddle combination I ride- good for hours in the saddle with no discomfort. That is probably due to the combination of bike fit and saddle. In the right application Brooks saddles are great, as are other leather saddles in their application.
Old 10-09-17, 08:50 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
I got a B17 about a month ago. Jury is still out, but trending negative. Starting to regret it...
Me too. I'm almost ready to give up on it. Specialized saddles FTW.
Old 10-09-17, 09:34 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
OK, I probably set the world's record for slowest Brooks break in period. I've had mine a little over a year and it is finally starting to dimple where my sit bones are. I did the proofhide thing and even stood on it to speed it up, so maybe I just don't put enough pressure? Anyway, the first couple months were HELL. I literally would ride home standing up because my butt hurt so bad.
Eventually I figured out that my sit bones had to toughen up - riding a gel saddle had done nothing to help me get ready for a Brooks. Took about 5 months before my sit bones weren't sore after a ride. Why did I persevere? Because I spent a damn fortune on this saddle, lol!
Slow forward to today and the seat is actually quite comfortable - I don't feel any discomfort around my sit bones even on long rides. I do get a bit of discomfort towards the front so I'm still playing with seat angle. I do NOT wear padded shorts or anything but if I did, I am sure the saddle would be completely comfortable. I just hate them because I feel like I'm wearing a diaper, it's weird, lol.
If I were to do it again I would either go with the pre-aged saddle or the cambium just to avoid that horrible break in process. But, I know folks who have been comfortable from day one on them, too.
Now that the seat is actually working like a "hammock" it really helps to absorb road shock and I'm pretty happy with it and now it will only get better as it gets older. But the first 6 months were a *****.
Old 10-09-17, 10:58 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Yes they are great. Are Silca pumps great?. Are Alfredo Binda toe clip straps great?
Old 10-11-17, 01:42 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
In 2013, I went through the "hunt for the perfect saddle" routine after 4 months of riding the OEM that came on my Colnago. The saddle was made by Selle but I don't know the model. I went through the shop's loaner program and tried 6 or 7 of the really popular saddles, including the Brooks B17, and really didn't find anything that was any better than the OEM saddle I was using. Of the bunch, the Brooks was almost unbearable to sit on after 600-700 miles. On the advice of my fitter, I tried an ISM Prologue and have been riding one ever since then. But just like the Brooks, they're not for everyone.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-11-17, 02:06 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I love how opposite so many people's experiences are. Some years ago I tried a Brooks B17. Instant love right out of the box. No break in period needed for me. Pure luxury. Just lucky.
Old 10-11-17, 02:52 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Yes.
Old 10-11-17, 02:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Berthoud saddles made improvements ...
Old 10-11-17, 04:06 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have had success with Selle Anatomica right out of the box, and demo'd and purchased a Brooks C15. No complaints with either, but the SA is way more plush.
Old 10-12-17, 07:43 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe this is why some of us don't like Brooks....

I rode a B-17 for a few months, kept going numb. My GF said that's not good, see a urologist. I had an appointment, turns out he's a rider too. He explained that the B17's lack of taint relief causes reduced blood flow and since my unit is large it just isn't going to work for me. He told me if my unit was smaller the B17 would be OK, I wouldn't be going numb. He prescribed a WTB with "Love Channel" and I haven't had any issues with numbness since....
Old 10-12-17, 08:00 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I rode a B-17 for a few months, kept going numb. My GF said that's not good, see a urologist. I had an appointment, turns out he's a rider too. He explained that the B17's lack of taint relief causes reduced blood flow and since my unit is large it just isn't going to work for me. He told me if my unit was smaller the B17 would be OK, I wouldn't be going numb. He prescribed a WTB with "Love Channel" and I haven't had any issues with numbness since....
Yeah. This sounds familiar. I have the same problem; but my unit is so big that my urologist suggested going to a B-52.
Old 10-12-17, 08:10 AM
Quickener

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could not get comfortable with my B17 despite several tweaks to my bike. I eventually shelved it. Then I bought a new bike with a less roadie / more monster cross position and the Brooks is amazing.

So it's not just different strokes for different folks. I believe there is a type of bike fit / style where they work (slightly more upright) and a style where they don't.
Old 10-12-17, 08:30 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
It is very easy to have a Brooks saddle much too far back without noticing. Particularly when the saddle is new with very little stretch. But as the saddle breaks in you find yourself sliding down into the middle. Unfortunately people referring to the comfortable hammock effect of a Brooks saddle misleads others into thinking that is where you are supposed to be positioned. That has you supported by your soft middle bits and is a recipe for saddle sores and numbness.

I find it best to have the saddle pushed forward to the point you are practically falling off the back, then gradually ease it back from there until you feel you are no longer sitting on the rear metal frame. The B17 saddles also seem to be made from rather flimsy leather these days, and need to be laced within a few thousand km due to the sides bowing out which the tension bolt is unable to correct.
Old 10-12-17, 08:39 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
For long distance riding, Brooks and Selle Anatomica saddles are often the last in a long line of saddle purchases.

For rides under 6 hours, I'm comfortable on a handful of plastic-shell saddles from Terry, Specialized, and Fizik. Beyond that duration, I much prefer my Brooks Team Professional (with aftermarket cutout). Similarly, my wife loves Terry Butterfly saddles for shorter rides, but goes to a Brooks B17 S Imperial for multi-day rides.

I should note that I've tried a VO-branded Gyes saddle that is a copy of the Brooks Team Pro. I've added a cutout and laces, chamfered the edges, broken it in properly; and it still isn't as comfortable as the Brooks.
Old 10-12-17, 08:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Someone needs to study and publish a correlation between euphemism size and Brooks saddle appreciation.

Brooks may have to change its advertising slogan to something like "Brooks Saddles, the pickup truck equivalent for cyclists."
Old 10-12-17, 09:57 AM
SteelBanana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Yeah. This sounds familiar. I have the same problem; but my unit is so big that my urologist suggested going to a B-52.
Don't forget the RATO (rocket-assisted takeoff), just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-12-17, 10:05 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Someone needs to study and publish a correlation between euphemism size and Brooks saddle appreciation.

Brooks may have to change its advertising slogan to something like "Brooks Saddles, the pickup truck equivalent for cyclists."
You calling me a redneck?
Old 10-12-17, 10:19 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelBanana
Don't forget the RATO (rocket-assisted takeoff), just to be on the safe side.

Yes, of course. Not to be confused with JATO.
Old 10-13-17, 07:11 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Slick Madone
I have had success with Selle Anatomica right out of the box, and demo'd and purchased a Brooks C15. No complaints with either, but the SA is way more plush.
Same here, with my SA. A friend recommend I try one and now I have one on 3 bikes. Logged over 1800 miles
this season on the 3 SA, absolutely no issues.

Back in 1990, I installed a Brooks (can"t remember the model) on my new custom Concorde bike. I spent all winter, with a glass of wine and a rubber mallet, beating the crap out of the leather. Nothing seemed to soften it up. Ended up giving it to a friend. KB.
Old 10-13-17, 11:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
@gecho, that's interesting. I'll try that. I'm a big B17 fan. I just got my first C17 (Cambium) and can't wait to try it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.