Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for padded cycling gloves for large hands

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 08:30 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I have large hands with a girth of about 11.5”. I trying to find some padded half finger gloves which don’t squeeze my hands. All the XXL or XXXL ones I am finding are two small and my hand and fingers will start tingling after minutes.
Can anyone recommend some large padded gloves?
Old 07-02-23, 08:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I've not found any difference in whether I use padded gloves, unpadded gloves or no gloves. For shorter rides perhaps padded gloves make them seem nicer. And for longer rides, gloves of either sort can make it easier to grip the bar/hood than a slippery sweaty hand.

For a road bike with drops, this is what I've found over the years... If your fingers are tingling, it might be how you are holding the bar or hoods. Your wrists need to be straight. If you can't keep them straight, your bars may be too wide. I like to have the palm of my hand going down the side of the hood.

If you can't find a wide enough cycling glove, then just find what you can and cut the fingers out if you need too.
Old 07-02-23, 10:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It is a tough call, because manufacturers are reall distributors, and they wikll buy gloves from wherever they can at a good price and re-brand them.

I have some truly large gloves from Pearl Izumi, Bellwether, and Louis Garneau, all bought at online close-out sales, so I cannot direct you to the exact models ... but there are some actual American-sized 3xl gloves out there. I don't know where .... "buy low, send back", is my practice.
Old 07-02-23, 12:10 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I use gym gloves to ride. I would suggest a sports store that deals in weightlifting. You might find a set of 3XL gloves available.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 07-02-23, 12:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
try these from aerotech, I got the 3xl and had to go to 2xl so not fitted small https://aerotechdesigns.com/extra-pa...html#sizechart

these i have not used but aerotech is known for big sizes https://aerotechdesigns.com/tempo2-f...loves-gel.html

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-02-23, 12:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I have large hands with a girth of about 11.5”. I trying to find some padded half finger gloves which don’t squeeze my hands. All the XXL or XXXL ones I am finding are two small and my hand and fingers will start tingling after minutes.
Can anyone recommend some large padded gloves?
Impressive…11.5” is pretty big! I thought mine were large at 10 5/8”…

Anyway, I don’t have any specific reccos, but would suggest you contact the company Elastic Interface and see if they manufacture a suitably sized palm pad which some glove maker is using. The EI palm pad is, as the name suggests, stretchy, so when combined with a stretchy upper, really increases the fit range and enhances comfort.

I use MAAP Pro Race Mitts in XL, which according to their fit chart are appropriate up to 9.6”, but they fit my 10 5/8”ers like, well, a glove! They’re the best gloves I’ve ever had in my +30 years of cycling; I’ve had a lot of gloves. I don’t know that there’s another .6” of comfort in those for you, so I won’t reccommend those, but it’s the proof of concept to me that’s interesting; all the material stretches, so it’s not the same as cramming your hand into a fixed-width glove. Maybe EI make a pad larger than the XL used by MAAP, Q.36.5, and others. DHB, Wiggle’s house brand, claim to have an EI pad glove in a 2XL, and the pricing is quite good, so it may be worth a flyer just to see. I suspect that a lot of these companies are posting fit guides based on standard gloves, not the EI palms, which would explain why I can fit into an XL.

Shoot an email over to EI and see what they say. Good luck!
Old 07-02-23, 02:04 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
As already said weighting gloves also look at big box store work gloves.
Old 07-04-23, 06:18 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
My hand arthritis has me look at industrial supply companies for anti-vibration gloves which I have found more effective than cycling gloves. They typically have at least XXL and some XXXL, some are like "tactical" gloves and way overkill but I have found some nice fingered and fingerless that are made for vibrating tools like jackhammers/hammer drill, etc. I liked these but ordered L and had to return for XL as I thought they run small so would be no help to you.
Old 07-04-23, 08:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I'll just mention that with the fashion going to a bit wider tires and lower pressures gloves are possibly a bit less of a necessity. The more comliant ride offers a good reduction in the vibration transmittted to the hands and wrists. I notice quite a few in the pro peleton riding sans gloves. I am not saying you should as well, but it is something to think about.

Even if you wear gloves a nice complant tire with a supple sidewall and a wide-ish width running a lowish pressure may help quite a bit with hand comfort. This will be particuarly ture if you ride somewhere with especially bad chipseal. I recall much of Texas being especially bad when I rode across it. I was on real skinny tires and it helped when i went a step wider when they wore out. I bet some even wider and more supple tires would have been a joy.
Old 07-04-23, 10:46 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have big paws also and wear XXL or XXXL depending on the glove. The absolute best gloves I have found are made by Bionic, yes the golf glove maker. I'm still on my first pair that I bought two years ago. They are very high quality and I rinse them under the faucet often to rid them of sweat, which greatly extends any glove's life in my opinion.

I bought a replacement pair but have not had to use them yet. If you value durability over anything else I would also recommend the Mechanix half finger M-Pact gloves. I used those for a few years before I bought the Bionic's; however, the padding in the Bionics is better but the Mechanix gloves just don't ever wear out. The problem is that it's hard to find the Mechanix in stock in XXL or XXXL.

https://www.bionicgloves.com/Bionic-...-the-Dream-Pad

https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/finge...gerless-gloves
Old 07-04-23, 05:47 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I'll just mention that with the fashion going to a bit wider tires and lower pressures gloves are possibly a bit less of a necessity. The more comliant ride offers a good reduction in the vibration transmittted to the hands and wrists. I notice quite a few in the pro peleton riding sans gloves. I am not saying you should as well, but it is something to think about.
Having once gone down and torn my palm up trying to catch myself, I won't ride without gloves. Hurts a lot for a long time!
Old 07-04-23, 10:52 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Vibrastop gloves

While not as big as your hands, I’ve had issues finding big enough padded gloves. Ended up using Vibrastop gloves for the past 10 years now. Biggest I could find was XL, although Superior Glove lists bigger sizes now. I cut off the strap portion and they stretched enough to fit comfortably after a while. The padding is made for vibrating tools, which is what I originally ordered them for, and they work great for that too.
Old 07-12-23, 04:29 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
My hand arthritis has me look at industrial supply companies for anti-vibration gloves which I have found more effective than cycling gloves. They typically have at least XXL and some XXXL, some are like "tactical" gloves and way overkill but I have found some nice fingered and fingerless that are made for vibrating tools like jackhammers/hammer drill, etc. I liked these but ordered L and had to return for XL as I thought they run small so would be no help to you.
This is is a cool idea. I have a look into these.
Old 08-11-23, 08:00 PM
sks5966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of the vibrasoft ones from Amazon. I ordered a large as my Specialized Double gel gloves are in large. The padding seemed OK and the fit was a little too large. I took them out for a couple of rides and my fingers get numb after about 8 to 10 miles. I think they are too large and not flexible enough for my use. I will give them some more trials hoping they become less stiff.
Old 08-12-23, 08:04 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Weight lifting gloves from Walmart.