Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What to do with this frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What to do with this frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 05:32 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
If that were mine I would attempt to fill the holes with a mig welder. If it blows through while hitting it with the welder then you will know how bad the damage is. If you get a good tack weld on it then you can file it down and ride it.
Old 12-14-23, 03:11 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
It's a Davidson, it is certainly worth fixing/restoring. Especially if it is a "Signature" model which I heard was more of a custom build than a production line bike.
frameset built by "artisanal" American builders from that era will just increase in value in the future.
It's definitely a Signature, even though it probably wasn't called that when it was made.

From Davidson's beginnings in the early '70s, right up to about '84, there weren't named models really, almost all the bikes were custom. It was only after the debut of the lower-cost production models (Challenge, Discovery, Impulse et al.) that the custom frames got a model name. They just started calling it the Signature since every one had a Bill D. signature decal on it. Never mind that a lot of the other production models got sig decals too, so the logic is not airtight on that, it's just how it is.

This frame has Otsuya lugs, and seatstay tops that are pantographed (later ones that mimic the pantograph look were actually investment-cast with the logo in). Those two things narrow down the date it could have been made, a little, but there's no serial numbers and no records, so you'll never know the date precisely. I'd guess '82 to '85.

I love Otsuya lugs. I made my wife's and my own light road frames with those.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-14-23, 09:43 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
How many bikes do you own @Mr. Spadoni ?? A bunch? I would try to find a trade for something I wanted on another bike. Lots of people out there who love to resolve frame problems. Some for no other reason than to justify a hacksaw and endoscope. I find it funny, for some = a challenge.
If anyone is interested in a challenge, I suppose they could PM me. Realistically, I’m not going to do anything with this frame until after the New Year at best. But right now, I’ve go a frame that seems like it would fit a specific need of mine.
Old 12-14-23, 09:51 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by sloar
If that were mine I would attempt to fill the holes with a mig welder. If it blows through while hitting it with the welder then you will know how bad the damage is. If you get a good tack weld on it then you can file it down and ride it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Got a relative coming for Christmas dinner who welds for a living and owes me a favor.
Old 12-14-23, 10:05 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by bulgie

This frame has Otsuya lugs, and seatstay tops that are pantographed (later ones that mimic the pantograph look were actually investment-cast with the logo in). Those two things narrow down the date it could have been made, a little, but there's no serial numbers and no records, so you'll never know the date precisely. I'd guess '82 to '85.

After reading this, I figured I’d see if I could find a receipt for this frame. I did. And it has no date on it. But I have a photo from early 1985 that has this frame hanging on the wall in the place I moved into in late 1984. And I didn’t have the frame when I moved. So I guess its from Dec 1984 to Feb 1985.
Old 12-14-23, 10:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Thanks for the suggestion. Got a relative coming for Christmas dinner who welds for a living and owes me a favor.
Changes the whole discussion. Clearly a frame worth saving.

In my experience, the 'owing someone a favor' may be a function of the owner of Someone's shoes. Merry Xmas dinner.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-14-23 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-14-23, 01:51 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Oof, I hope he's a much better welder than I am. I see that as having a high probability of ruining an otherwise-rideable bike. Unless he's one of those guys who can weld two beer cans together, most welders have no experience with such thin stuff. I mean yeah it started thin, but now it's much thinner around the holes. The hole is where thickness got all the way to zero, but the rim of the hole where you're welding might be only a few molecules above zero. And maybe more iron oxide than steel, there locally at the hole

I would be much more likely to flow some brazing filler over the holes.
Old 12-14-23, 01:59 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

After reading this, I figured I’d see if I could find a receipt for this frame. I did. And it has no date on it. But I have a photo from early 1985 that has this frame hanging on the wall in the place I moved into in late 1984. And I didn’t have the frame when I moved. So I guess its from Dec 1984 to Feb 1985.
That means there's a good probabilty that I made the frame. If before '84 when I joined, it would probably have been Frank Kaplan. Then Frank and I overlapped for a bit, then Frank moved on, I forget when, probably '85. After that I made all the customs, until '94 when I left.

By '84 when I started, Bill was mostly gone out of the frame shop, mostly front office. The time he did spend in the frame shop was stuff like making tools, coming up with processes, QC. Little to no work on individual frames.

Good times.
Old 12-14-23, 03:03 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by bulgie
That means there's a good probabilty that I made the frame. If before '84 when I joined, it would probably have been Frank Kaplan. Then Frank and I overlapped for a bit, then Frank moved on, I forget when, probably '85. After that I made all the customs, until '94 when I left.
Then I have to say you did some really good work. As the frame is stripped, all of the joints are exposed and they look great. It’s one of the reasons that I’d go with a clear coat: I want people see what a well joined frame looks like. And now I can say that I know who was holding the torch.
You’ve also cleared up a mystery for me. When the first frame broke, I was told to head down to the shop in Kent to get measured for a new one. Only Bill was there and he didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry. I wondered at the time how he was able to get so many frames made with such a relaxed attitude. When he quoted me what seemed to be a pretty short lead time, I figured that he was just blowing smoke. He hit the delivery date. Knowing now that there was a crew behind him explains the mannerism and the timing.
And on the welding relative? She works fabricating custom stainless steel exhaust systems.Think this is about her fifth year with this company, so she’s gotta be reasonably good. Still, I’ll tell her your suggestion about the fill and file. I always like the simple solution.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 12-14-23, 03:41 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Regarding refinishing Davidsons from the early 80's, did they use Dupont Imron?
Curious because the dark red paint on my 83 Dav8dson Signature looks to be Imron, because of it's really deep glossy appearance that .makes it looks like its still wet. And the paint seem to be very durable/hard. It almost looks like it was painted yesterday.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 12-14-23, 03:46 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I'd do two things; 1.) get a cheap fibre optic tool to get a look inside the b.b.., including the chain stays (if it is a water/moisture issue, then they are going to be worse than the seat stays. 2.) cut a section out of that damaged seat stay to see what is happening. The pervasive pitting, over-all, deserves further investigation.
Old 12-14-23, 09:49 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Then I have to say you did some really good work. As the frame is stripped, all of the joints are exposed and they look great. It’s one of the reasons that I’d go with a clear coat: I want people see what a well joined frame looks like. And now I can say that I know who was holding the torch.
You’ve also cleared up a mystery for me. When the first frame broke, I was told to head down to the shop in Kent to get measured for a new one. Only Bill was there and he didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry. I wondered at the time how he was able to get so many frames made with such a relaxed attitude. When he quoted me what seemed to be a pretty short lead time, I figured that he was just blowing smoke. He hit the delivery date. Knowing now that there was a crew behind him explains the mannerism and the timing.
And on the welding relative? She works fabricating custom stainless steel exhaust systems.Think this is about her fifth year with this company, so she’s gotta be reasonably good. Still, I’ll tell her your suggestion about the fill and file. I always like the simple solution.
She here in town, or maybe work for Tube Specialties?
Old 12-14-23, 10:47 PM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I know very little about frame building but to me this doesn’t look like this frame is going to self destruct any time soon. My vote is in the ride it and watch it camp. You can always replace the seat tube after it breaks. Not likely to cause injury. I have seen bikes that could still be ridden with both seat stays broken at the seat tube junction. Riders thought something felt funny or different but the bike was still rideable (to get home not long term). That frame is worth keeping and using!
Likes For Chain smoker: