Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 12:57 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Untrue. Bolts come loose because of faulty design or improper installation.

A properly designed and installed fastener will not come loose under intended use.

I used to design space equipment that was subjected to a shake test. A loose fastener was a failure.
You're kidding, right? It's a bottle cage bolt, not aerospace equipment. Road vibration can (and does) cause bolts to come loose over time. General stress from regular use is also a contributing factor.

If you're comment is actually intended to be taken seriously, am I to assume you never tighten any bolts on your bike(s) for any reason other than faulty design or improper installation? Good luck with that.
Old 01-22-24, 01:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
You're kidding, right? It's a bottle cage bolt, not aerospace equipment. Road vibration can (and does) cause bolts to come loose over time. General stress from regular use is also a contributing factor.

If you're comment is actually intended to be taken seriously, am I to assume you never tighten any bolts on your bike(s) for any reason other than faulty design or improper installation? Good luck with that.
Hmmm...I don't remember the last time I found a bolt on my bike that had worked it's way loose.
Old 01-22-24, 01:10 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Got it. You don't know what proper torque is for a fastener.
Old 01-22-24, 01:28 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Untrue. Bolts come loose because of faulty design or improper installation.

A properly designed and installed fastener will not come loose under intended use.

I used to design space equipment that was subjected to a shake test. A loose fastener was a failure.
I work in the Farm Machinery space. Bolts don't come loose on our stuff, because we engineer and test them to withstand the level of vibration that they will encounter in normal service, with a very healthy margin. And if they come loose in the test lab, my team has to fix it in software...
Old 01-22-24, 01:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm torn on that mess... like I said above, my Trek sits right next to my Lemond...

Morals, ethics, business - billions in sales (Trek driven sales from Lance) vs 10's of millions (sales of Lemond bikes)... Lemond said what he believed, unsubstantiated, unproven at the time. His words could cause potential huge losses to his parent company - way more than he ever made for them, way more than he probably would ever make for them. That was a flat business decision - and probably an easy one for any business manager to make.
Understood. But, Greg wasn't the only ones to accuse him. Check out thee Andreius. A little more info: https://road.cc/content/news/13749-l...it-greg-lemond

Then there is Specialized which sued a small LBS in Canada because it called itself the Roubaix bike shop. They claimed the shop used their name without permission. So, they created the name Roubaix? Oh, wait.....
Old 01-22-24, 01:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts

Not kidding. Bolt coming loose is a fail, whether on a satellite or a bicycle. The claim that bolts regularly come loose is just an excuse for poor workmanship.

And no, I don't have to periodically go over my bike tightening bolts, because they were installed correctly. I know they were installed correctly, because I installed them.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-22-24, 01:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I work in the Farm Machinery space. Bolts don't come loose on our stuff, because we engineer and test them to withstand the level of vibration that they will encounter in normal service, with a very healthy margin. And if they come loose in the test lab, my team has to fix it in software...
LOL. Having worked on both the hardware and software side of a project, I must say that is an excellent joke.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-22-24, 02:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I think that Lance was framed. Not that he was completely innocent. But I think that the Europeans were jealous of an American winning too much, so they came down hard on him.
Ummmmm ... you're dreaming. USADA (The United States Anti-Doping Agency) banned Armstrong from competition and stripped him of his titles. The UCI accepted their decision.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-22-24, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...I don't remember the last time I found a bolt on my bike that had worked it's way loose.
You’re obviously determined to make me go to my desktop computer and post the photo showing that a front rack bolt not only came loose but fell out somewhere along a hilly, rough stretch of road in MT. I didn’t even know it until we got to camp a couple of miles after the photo was taken. I had installed the rack after picking up the shipped bike from a LBS in Missoula. I was sitting under a bridge to keep out of the rain and worked in a hurry. Bolt fell out on the 5th day of the tour. I’ve never made that mistake again. I could have gotten seriously messed up.
Old 01-22-24, 02:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You’re obviously determined to make me go to my desktop computer and post the photo showing that a front rack bolt not only came loose but fell out somewhere along a hilly, rough stretch of road in MT. I didn’t even know it until we got to camp a couple of miles after the photo was taken. I had installed the rack after picking up the shipped bike from a LBS in Missoula. I was sitting under a bridge to keep out of the rain and worked in a hurry. Bolt fell out on the 5th day of the tour. I’ve never made that mistake again. I could have gotten seriously messed up.
Glad you didn't get hurt. What did you do the second time to make sure it didn't come loose and fall out again?
Old 01-22-24, 03:41 PM
indyfabz

Glad you didn't get hurt. What did you do the second time to make sure it didn't come loose and fall out again?
Screwed it in tightly. Fortunately, I had a spare, but not a spare 1/4” spacer, so the rack was a little off, but not enough to affect handling. I now periodically check my rack bolts when on tour.
Old 01-22-24, 04:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Screwed it in tightly. Fortunately, I had a spare, but not a spare 1/4” spacer, so the rack was a little off, but not enough to affect handling. I now periodically check my rack bolts when on tour.
Do you think that the bolt may not have been properly tightened the first time? With your riding conditions (loaded touring), double-checking things on a regular basis is probably a really good idea. $#!+ happens, and sometimes not at convenient times or locations.
Old 01-22-24, 04:57 PM
indyfabz

Do you think that the bolt may not have been properly tightened the first time? With your riding conditions (loaded touring), double-checking things on a regular basis is probably a really good idea. $#!+ happens, and sometimes not at convenient times or locations.
Total operator error. As noted, I was under a bridge because of a shower. Ii looked like it was going to get worse, and the GF and I still had to shop for dinner groceries and get back to camp. Plus, we had been up since 3:00 am east coast time and had been traveling all day. Cab, flight, layover, flight, cab, check in at campground, cab to LBS.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 05:04 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Big fan of Nylon insert lock nuts for things like racks. I might point out that the worst trouble I have had on a bicycle was the <expletive> French Bottom Bracket on my Peugeot. Clearly a case of poor design.
Old 01-22-24, 05:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Over the years I've been witness to a number of cage bolts loosening. Those of others and yes, a few of my own. I think people are hesitant to wrench down on them due to the variety of materials involved. You can be pretty safe in tightening a stem bolt to 5-6 Nm but a carbon cage might have a spec of 1Nm for a bolt just one size smaller. Throw in Riv-nuts, butted tubing at its thinnest, etc. and general absence of published specs. Anyway, if folks are plagued by loose cage bolts, I'd suggest blue Loctite.
Old 01-22-24, 06:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Big fan of Nylon insert lock nuts for things like racks. I might point out that the worst trouble I have had on a bicycle was the <expletive> French Bottom Bracket on my Peugeot. Clearly a case of poor design.
There's a reason that the phrase used in English to describe a notably casual attitude toward, e.g., design specs is laissez-faire. My first racing bike, a Helyett track bike that i got in 1964, had a habit of chewing up and spitting out its pot metal T.A. chainring bolts, for example. (I can see the engineer who came up with the design thinking, "I could spec better metal, but, la!, the centimes! It might fail, but what would you?," clapping his beret on his head, and, with a Gallic shrug, making for the door.)

Pot metal wasn't used exclusively by the French, of course. The drilled cable carrier bolts Balilla supplied with their centerpull brakes were cunningly configured such that the difference between a slipping brake cable and a snapped bolt was about 22 degrees of nut movement.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-22-24, 06:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Weird, Mine came loose on my last ride, they were torqued to spec. I think my bottle becoming a brick of ice had something to do with it. Happened to look down and see it bouncing back and forth and quickly swapped it to the other cage.
Had my water bottle bolts torqued to spec too, but rode several miles of gravel, so the bike got a good shaking. Heard some banging and one bolt was gone and the top most was just hanging in there. Locktite to the rescue.

Old 01-22-24, 06:56 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I think most people knew cycling was dirty, knew that Lance was dirty, Jan was dirty, Pantani was dirty - all of them were dirty. And ALL entities did what every they could to keep things covered up. And all the teams did whatever they could to keep things covered up***..
LOL. You will never convince me LeBlanc wasn't filled with helium...
Old 01-22-24, 08:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Utter nonsense. Lance was intentional in his decisions, ruthless in his determination to win, and a @$$hole to people who got in his way or were no longer useful. At this point, it's no longer a question. The facts are known.
On top of that, he gave that pep talk to Vince Vaughn in the Dodgeball movie. That was the last straw. Hard to support a cheater when he's spewing BS like that.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-24, 09:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...many people do not know that this is why the French invented Loctite.

LOCTITE est la marque leader sur les marchés des adhésifs, des produits d'étanchéité et des traitements de surface. Grâce à des technologies révolutionnaires, nous proposons des solutions répondant à vos objectifs en termes de performance, durabilité et de résistance. Tout cela, dans le but de déclencher le potentiel sans limites de l'homme allié à la machine.

Découvrez en plus sur notre large portefeuille produits pour les applications industrielles les plus exigeantes.
Old 01-22-24, 09:53 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Personally because Trek financially massacred Lemond (and his Legacy) at Arm$trong's request.
It's a long story, but I lived through it. I still cherish my pre-Trek Lemond bike.
F-word every Lance fanboi who called Lemond a crybaby, or claimed Lemond ever doped. Lemond was the ONLY champion (in the history of professional cycling) who advocated for increased doping controls WHILE HE WAS WINNING.
I've seen dozens of Armstrong fanbois in this forum attack Lemond and claim "they're all dopers anyway". Eff them and eff the Treks they rode in on. Cycling was a better sport before Armstrong and Trek, and it will be a better sport once it's cleansed of both.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-22-24 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-22-24, 10:14 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Trek rode the Armstrong train, and that train wasn't doing sportsmanlike things. Truck feck and every Armstrong fannyboi who called Lemond a crybaby and every Armstrong lawyer who brought up Lemond's childhood. Utter reprehensible and unforgivable.
I shook Floyd Landis' hand (and he narrowly beat me at L'Etape du California). And I'd been in a Cat-2 USCF criterium against Armstrong near Austin (he had a cute shirt saying "I <3 my mom", but if I had the opportunity again, I'd spit in his face and try to punch him back then.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-22-24, 10:21 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Personally because Trek financially massacred Lemond (and his Legacy) at Arm$trong's request.
It's a long story, but I lived through it. I still cherish my pre-Trek Lemond bike.
F-word every Lance fanboi who called Lemond a crybaby, or claimed Lemond ever doped. Lemond was the ONLY champion (in the history of professional cycling) who advocated for increased doping controls WHILE HE WAS WINNING.
I've seen dozens of Armstrong fanbois in this forum attack Lemond and claim "they're all dopers anyway". Eff them and eff the Treks they rode in on. Cycling was a better sport before Armstrong and Trek, and it will be a better sport once it's cleansed of both.
What I like most about cycling is how it brings people together regardless of backgrounds or interests the bond is our love of riding bicycles. Except those “effers” who ride Treks!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-22-24, 10:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Trek rode the Armstrong train, and that train wasn't doing sportsmanlike things. Truck feck and every Armstrong fannyboi who called Lemond a crybaby and every Armstrong lawyer who brought up Lemond's childhood. Utter reprehensible and unforgivable.
I shook Floyd Landis' hand (and he narrowly beat me at L'Etape du California). And I'd been in a Cat-2 USCF criterium against Armstrong near Austin (he had a cute shirt saying "I <3 my mom", but if I had the opportunity again, I'd spit in his face and try to punch him back then.
Perhaps,some counseling would be helpful.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-22-24, 10:41 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
What I like most about cycling is how it brings people together regardless of backgrounds or interests the bond is our love of riding bicycles. Except those “effers” who ride Treks!
Reading is fundamental. Never claimed all Trek riders were effers, child.
Only that the Armstrong apologists were and are. And that Trek is still a known associate. Kudos to you for seeing the difference. /s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.