Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels: Zonda vs Shimano vs Fulcrum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 07:10 AM
B1KE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my budget Axis 2.0 wheel set for something lighter and stiffer. I weigh 180lb and do 90% hilly roads and about 10% gravel/ chip seal roads. I want something that's fast but also durable and reliable. I want to run 28mm tire eventually too. A big priority is that the wheel lasts long and I don't have to service it often My choices are as folllows;

Shimano RS81 C24
Campangolo Zonda
Fulcrum Racing 3

1.Based on my needs, weight and terrain riding style which would you recommend?

2. Also anyone who has the above wheelsete would love to hear your opinion/review on it, even if it's a quick sentence or two.
Old 05-11-17, 07:14 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
The Zonda and the Racing 3 are similar in weight and quality. Fulcrum is a Campagnolo sub brand, many hub components from one will fit the other.
Old 05-11-17, 07:16 AM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The Zonda and the Racing 3 are similar in weight and qualityl. Fulcrum is a Campagnolo sub brand, many hub components from one will fit the other.
Got it, thanks for the insight.
Old 05-11-17, 07:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Oh, and both the Zondas and the Racing 3 are available in 2-Way Fit versions allowing the use of conventional or road tubeless clinchers
Old 05-11-17, 07:38 AM
Jean_TX

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I recently got a set of Shimano RS81 C24 wheels to replace the Mavic CXP22's that came with my bike. I chose Shimano wheels because their products are reliable - I couldn't find any complaints about them on the web except that the initial hub adjustment was occasionally too tight. The wheels were perfectly true out of the box. They are noticeably lighter and easier to accelerate than the original Mavic's. Also, they are noticeably stiffer laterally when leaning into turns. Their hubs can easily be "digitally adjusted" (i.e., adjusted by hand, no tools needed). I'm very pleased with them.
Old 05-11-17, 07:39 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a set of the RS81's and they're smooth as butter and I've put my share of miles on them. They're quiet, durable, they brake well and they're super lightweight. I'm actually looking at replacing them.. (just not 100% sure yet) for a set of custom wheels.. but You can't go wrong with them.
Old 05-11-17, 08:00 AM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I have a set of the RS81's and they're smooth as butter and I've put my share of miles on them. They're quiet, durable, they brake well and they're super lightweight. I'm actually looking at replacing them.. (just not 100% sure yet) for a set of custom wheels.. but You can't go wrong with them.
Thanks for your opinion. I heard there was some issues with the brake pad rubbing and based on their width would these be able to run 28mm tires without having the lightbulb look to them?
Old 05-11-17, 08:02 AM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many miles have you done before considering replacing them?
Have you ridden them on any gravel or chip seal roads and had any issues?
Old 05-11-17, 08:51 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B1KE
Thanks for your opinion. I heard there was some issues with the brake pad rubbing and based on their width would these be able to run 28mm tires without having the lightbulb look to them?
I'm not 100% sure on that. You'd have to look that up. I'm running 700x25 with Maxxis Refuse and those are fine for me. I have been told they can support a wider tire, but, I have not personally tried anything wider than what I have on now.

How many miles have you done before considering replacing them?
Have you ridden them on any gravel or chip seal roads and had any issues?
A LOT. I don't meticulously count the miles I ride, but it's in the thousands. lol And they're set to do a 5 day, 500 mile trek later this month.. and that'll be after I put a few hundred more on them in between.

I actually rode on a dirt/gravel road on Monday with a LBS ride group. The stretch was a good 2 miles and they were fine. I get nervous riding roads like that on a road bike with road tires.. but the Refuse tires have some good tread on them, as do all Maxxis tires.. so, it felt good. It's a durable wheel.. it's made for that purpose... and that's why I have them.. because I needed something durable, fast and light.. Which is kind of like a dream in the world of cycling wheels. lol

I wouldn't consider myself a typical road rider. I started out a few years back as a disabled VET trying to overcome some physical limitations through cycling with an organization called Project Hero. I don't count watts or cadence and I'm not trying to be a professional racer.. Although I really do enjoy cycling.. I'm not awesome at it.. especially the climbing portion. So, my needs may be different than most. What I needed was a durable, light bike that I could ride for years to come because I don't quite have the budget that some on here have with warehouses full of bikes and carbon wheels.. lol SO whatever I buy.. needs to last.. so, that's my #1 criteria.. If that makes any difference. OH and I should add that I'm 200lbs.. I fluctuate between 180 and 200lbs pretty regularly, lol)

Last edited by motosonic; 05-11-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 09:35 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels. At about 155 lbs myself, I feel good about riding those. I believe they have less spokes than other wheels, so at 180 lbs I'm not sure how "durable" they will be for you. Not that 180 lbs is heavy - it's just that I know I wouldn't have to worry about spoke count - you may need to consider it...maybe not. Just throwing it out there.
Actually, after checking - it looks like they do put a "warning" in the description right at 82KG (180 lbs).
https://www.wiggle.com/fulcrum-racing...wheelset-2014/
Old 05-11-17, 02:17 PM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster
I have the Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels. At about 155 lbs myself, I feel good about riding those. I believe they have less spokes than other wheels, so at 180 lbs I'm not sure how "durable" they will be for you. Not that 180 lbs is heavy - it's just that I know I wouldn't have to worry about spoke count - you may need to consider it...maybe not. Just throwing it out there.
Actually, after checking - it looks like they do put a "warning" in the description right at 82KG (180 lbs).
wiggle.com | Fulcrum Racing 3 Clincher Wheelset | Road Race Wheels
Thanks for that, looks like the Fulcrums are out. I'm leaning towards the Shimanos more than anything now. Only thing swinging me is the Zondas are a bit cheaper.
Old 05-11-17, 05:38 PM
rayzafc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new redesigned profile campagnolo zonda is support up to 28c tyres. Its lightweight and looking nice for me.
Old 05-11-17, 07:36 PM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for that, looks like the Fulcrums are out. I'm leaning towards the Shimanos more than anything now. Only thing swinging me is the Zondas are a bit cheaper.
I was just going through this same decision making process just a few weeks ago. I ended going with the Zondas with price and the redesigned C17 rim being major factors. I'm 130 lbs tho, so I wanted a pretty low spoke count, but having said that the Shimanos are actually the lowest here, by 1 spoke. They are still sitting in the box, so unfortunately I can't offer any insight on how they ride.
Old 05-11-17, 07:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
2. Also anyone who has the above wheelsete would love to hear your opinion/review on it, even if it's a quick sentence or two.
I have a set of Zondas, a set of Fulcrum 3s, and a set of Fulcrum 3 two-way fit. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same wheels. I weigh the same as you and ride a lot in the mountains and on dirt roads. I have never broken a spoke and the wheels rarely need to be trued.
Old 05-11-17, 08:26 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I agree 100%.
I've got a set of RS81s too. I notice no difference between these and the Dura Ace C24s that I've got over 25000 miles on. They both are very smooth and spin great. I'm 183 lbs.
The RS81s are something like 100-120 g heavier than the Dura-Ace but a few hundred dollars less .

I love Shimano wheels as they are easily serviceable.

Almost all the roads I ride are chip sealed and full of pot holes and cracks too, no issues with the ride on chip seal.
Old 05-11-17, 08:41 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've got Dura Ace C24s and Fulcrum Racing 5s.

Can't really feel a difference while riding.

The Fulcrum bearings have some lateral play after 10k miles.
Old 05-11-17, 10:54 PM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
I agree 100%.
I've got a set of RS81s too. I notice no difference between these and the Dura Ace C24s that I've got over 25000 miles on. They both are very smooth and spin great. I'm 183 lbs.
The RS81s are something like 100-120 g heavier than the Dura-Ace but a few hundred dollars less .

I love Shimano wheels as they are easily serviceable.

Almost all the roads I ride are chip sealed and full of pot holes and cracks too, no issues with the ride on chip seal.
Wow great review, thanks for sharing. Gives me a lot of confidence in the wheel. Just curious what is your weight becuae I'm 180lb and feel a bit uneasy about the low spoke count.
Old 05-11-17, 11:24 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Wow great review, thanks for sharing. Gives me a lot of confidence in the wheel. Just curious what is your weight becuae I'm 180lb and feel a bit uneasy about the low spoke count.
I'm your weight, and the dura ace c24 have been bullet proof. They're essentially the same wheels as the rs81, except with dura ace hubs.
Old 05-12-17, 06:47 AM
B1KE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I'm your weight, and the dura ace c24 have been bullet proof. They're essentially the same wheels as the rs81, except with dura ace hubs.
Thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking of mounting 28mm wheels, I know the rim width is 15mm could that be an issue?
Old 05-13-17, 03:38 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking of mounting 28mm wheels, I know the rim width is 15mm could that be an issue?
It will work up to 32mm.
Old 05-13-17, 04:05 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I have both rs81 c35s and a couple of sets of zondas...both spin well. The zondas are similar to campys eurus without the aluminum spokes.
I'm really pleased with both.