Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Valentines bike needs tires.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 02:30 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts

crossroads_ex_1 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

So, yesterday being Valentines Day & all...Mrs. Base2 got a used mountain bike.
It is a Novara (REI house brand) Bonita. It is a hardtail with springer forks, Tektro 160mm disc brakes. Both will be replaced as soon as she takes the bike on the trails and bottoms out or fades a couple of times...Maybe they'll be ok with someone that's as light as she is. Me, I'd have 'em thrashed in no time...Anyway, most importantly, since it was a used bike, it came with commuter slicks on it. That's gotta change.

The pucture above is the tread pattern of a Specialized Crossroads EX from around 2005 or so. The pic was lifted from the internet, but it's the same tire I have on my mountain bike. I like the smooth ridge right down the center. Pumping up the tire to a high pressure lets you roll from place to place easily on hardpack or concrete. Then you can just let out some air when you get to the trails or the snow or where ever. 35 psi gets a big fat confidence inspiring footprint. Almost like monkey toes gripping the Earth. It's a pretty good all 'round tire as far as I'm concerned.

I am having trouble locating another set. Or a similar replacement for Mrs. Base2's bike. I found plenty of knobbies. I found plenty of smooth with a few knobs on the sides like a commuter would buy. But no meaty off road knobbies with a single fat ridge in the center like the picture above.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 26x1.85-1.95 tire like the picture above? Any similar tire you've been particularly pleased with?
Old 02-15-19, 03:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I would bet that's a common feature & maybe you can't find the exact tire, but there must be plenty of choices. I had an old bike & replaced something similar with a tire that you wouldn't like. but the old tire had a solid line but when riding it a tad soft had great grip up steep road crossings gravel & muddy dirt trails. when fully inflated they were fast enough on hard dirt & stone dust, etc

Old 02-16-19, 12:12 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Yep. Similar to what you got rid of would've been fine.
That's ok though, I had store credit at the local used bike shop. I picked up a pair of Specialized Adrenaline's for $10. They were used, but one still had flashing from the mold and those little rubber "hairs" that new tires have. I think they'll do what they need to do.

Tire technology is always changing. Judging by the lack of flood of responses, (thanks rumrun) I should've known not to ask about a tread pattern that went out of fashion at least a dozen years ago. All the same though, I'm lookin' forward to tearin' it up with the wife on her new bike.

Aaron