Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What type of grease for headset loose bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 06:54 AM
Clegg2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I'm currently servicing my headset and replaced the old grease with some multi purpose lithium grease. The old grease was kind of sticky and syrup texture, but felt much smoother. I would like to replace it with this type of grease, but not sure what type. Thanks
Old 08-03-23, 06:59 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
phil wood waterproof grease
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-03-23, 07:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Bike maintenance is far more about doing the work than what lube is used. Andy
Old 08-03-23, 07:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Do you spin your steering tube at 21,000 rpm?

Use what ever lube you wish.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-03-23, 08:00 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Everyone else is wrong. The best (and only!) way to lubricate loose balls is using grease extracted from the musk glands from polka-dotted (no other!) ferrets. The best of this type of grease is extracted only during leap years in which there has been more-than-average sun spot activity.

It's really the only stuff that really works. These people who suggest an industry standard grease (Phil Wood? Pah!) or worse, any standard bearing grease for the low rpm situation (cretins!) just don't get it...
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 08-03-23, 09:25 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I use the Phil or a synthetic grease I like but for headset bearings I have a tube of Wurth molybdenum disulfide.grease left over from 20+ years of Porsche maintenance.

It is a horrible black goo that is very messy. But great for "extreme pressure" applications.

I agree with Andrew above, the lube matters less than the fact that you do the overhaul but I happen to have this stuff so that's what I use.

/markp
Old 08-03-23, 10:18 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Everyone else is wrong. The best (and only!) way to lubricate loose balls is using grease extracted from the musk glands from polka-dotted (no other!) ferrets. The best of this type of grease is extracted only during leap years in which there has been more-than-average sun spot activity...
Ha... Love It... And the most comfortable bike seats were snapped up by Elves in the late 1800's. Except for some hybrid human by the name of Brooks... So the search goes on.

Originally Posted by Clegg2
Hi, I'm currently servicing my headset...
That's the ticket and that's what counts. Like Andy said, the grease is not that important. Try to simplify your lubricants. There is no need for special magic lubricants on your bicycle. It's the maintenance that matters.

When I use Grease, I use "Marine Grease", any flavor. I would suggest just getting a container of some generic Marine Grease and going with that for all your grease needs. The other thing I would suggest is getting a small Micro Grease gun... Magic!

Amazon

Note: Loose Balls Rule... (Sheldon Brown)

I remember back in the 70's I toured the campagnolo assembly sheds in Vicenza Italy. It was an old building with a big high ceiling and wooden tables with old Italian workers wearing aprons assembling those beautiful components. At the end of each table was a big 2 gallon bucket with military markings in Italian. They said Grasso Marino. You could smell the grease when less then 3 feet from the bucket of what appeared to be black tar. Latter at the end of the tour I bought a little white plastic container of Campagnolo Grease. The grease was smooth, odorless, and white. Every time I refill that little container with Marine Grease I think about that tour.

Last edited by zandoval; 08-03-23 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 08-03-23, 12:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you spin your steering tube at 21,000 rpm?
You have a problem with that?
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-03-23, 12:06 PM
smd4

The old grease was kind of sticky and syrup texture, but felt much smoother
You're never going to be able to feel what kind of grease you used in your headset. Phil's is good. I like Shimano. Just use something.
Old 08-03-23, 01:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Everyone else is wrong. The best (and only!) way to lubricate loose balls is using grease extracted from the musk glands from polka-dotted (no other!) ferrets. The best of this type of grease is extracted only during leap years in which there has been more-than-average sun spot activity.

It's really the only stuff that really works. These people who suggest an industry standard grease (Phil Wood? Pah!) or worse, any standard bearing grease for the low rpm situation (cretins!) just don't get it...

Who here remembers Bike World's April's issue having a joke/April Fool's article. One year it was about the secret Russian chain lube that came from male yaks. Funny thing were the later letters to the editor (remember those) claiming to have gone to their LBS in search for said Yak Fat Lube. Andy (who can believe how modern people can be so miss led by someone's claims, sad as it is)
Old 08-03-23, 02:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I generally agree that just about any decent grease is more than adequate for bikes, but.....

Headsets present a unique problem. Most bearings wear from motion, but headsets wear because they don't move enough. They wear out by fretting, aka false brinnelling, due to vibration while stationary.

Lube works away from the point of contact, and since there's not enough movement to replenish it you get wear at the points of contact causing the dimples we see in dead headsets.

So, to the answer depends on how and how much you ride. High mileage road riders should consider a lube specifically made to prevent fretting. I use one from SKF figuring that a bearing company would know best.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-03-23, 02:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I generally agree that just about any decent grease is more than adequate for bikes, but.....

Headsets present a unique problem. Most bearings wear from motion, but headsets wear because they don't move enough. They wear out by fretting, aka false brinnelling, due to vibration while stationary.

Lube works away from the point of contact, and since there's not enough movement to replenish it you get wear at the points of contact causing the dimples we see in dead headsets.

So, to the answer depends on how and how much you ride. High mileage road riders should consider a lube specifically made to prevent fretting. I use one from SKF figuring that a bearing company would know best.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-03-23, 02:54 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I've tried them all. My go-to tends to be Motorex 2000, Phil Wood or Park depending on what mood I'm in but just about any bearing grease will work just fine.
Old 08-03-23, 03:55 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Hi, I'm currently servicing my headset and replaced the old grease with some multi purpose lithium grease. The old grease was kind of sticky and syrup texture, but felt much smoother. I would like to replace it with this type of grease, but not sure what type. Thanks
To concisely summarize: for a headset, any grease is fine. You're overthinking this, which is a common problem when it comes to lubricants for bicycles.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 08-03-23, 11:51 PM
Clegg2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
To concisely summarize: for a headset, any grease is fine. You're overthinking this, which is a common problem when it comes to lubricants for bicycles.
I'm struggling to agree, as this multipurpose lithium is all leaking around the gaps and spinning the bearing by hand sounds a bit dry. The original grease I replaced it with was very sticky, with a smoother feel and stayed on easily. So it kind of makes sense that, not all grease are the same.
Old 08-04-23, 12:02 AM
FBinNY 

I'm struggling to agree, as this multipurpose lithium is all leaking around the gaps and spinning the bearing by hand sounds a bit dry. The original grease I replaced it with was very sticky, with a smoother feel and stayed on easily. So it kind of makes sense that, not all grease are the same.
Obviously, all greases are not the same. However, just about all are more than adequate for bicycle applications.

So, for most people here, it's really about preference and secondary considerations.

For example, you have issues with the lithium grease weeping out, so that's argument for a thicker stringier grease that will stay put. OTOH, I know someone who does lots of stunt riding and finds that thick greases cause a low steering response, and lubes his headset with something thinner.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-04-23 at 02:53 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-04-23, 05:29 AM
smd4

Working in bike shops, white lithium was the grease we used. After years of seeing it dried up, I went with something else personally. Phil’s is great and I still have some, but when I opened up some 40 year old Shimano pedals to find the grease In perfect condition, I knew what I would use going forward.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-04-23, 05:30 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I know someone who does lots of stunt riding and finds that thick greases cause a low steering response
I call BS on that. Not that you know someone, but that he can feel the difference in his headset lube.
Old 08-04-23, 05:32 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts

I don't know about that, I used the excretion from an albino sable masked one, and it worked even better...
Seriously though, any grease will work.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-04-23, 05:56 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by smd4
I call BS on that. Not that you know someone, but that he can feel the difference in his headset lube.
It's his bike, so I've never felt the need to argue with his choice.

OTOH some stunts involve the fork and bars spinning, so who knows.

Old 08-04-23, 06:44 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I use Yamalube and it is completely waterproof to fresh and saltwater, and it's not expensive.
Old 08-04-23, 09:04 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I I use one from SKF figuring that a bearing company would know best.
FBinNY SKF doesn't know anything about bearings ! See pic below.

Seriously what is the stuff you're using ?

Old 08-04-23, 01:01 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mpetry912
FBinNY SKF doesn't know anything about bearings ! See pic below.

Seriously what is the stuff you're using ?

I honestly don't know. Something like 50 years ago, as we were talking about the issue, a friend who works there gave me a small pot of grease saying, "this may help, it's what we use". The stuff is a bit smelly, extremely sticky, and reminds me of gasket compound, except that it doesn't dry.

I can't say for sure how much difference it made, because I also used some other strategies, but my headset life improved considerably.

SKF now markets bearing lubes including some specifically made to prevent fretting.

Old 08-05-23, 11:37 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Ha... Love It... And the most comfortable bike seats were snapped up by Elves in the late 1800's. Except for some hybrid human by the name of Brooks... So the search goes on.

That's the ticket and that's what counts. Like Andy said, the grease is not that important. Try to simplify your lubricants. There is no need for special magic lubricants on your bicycle. It's the maintenance that matters.

When I use Grease, I use "Marine Grease", any flavor. I would suggest just getting a container of some generic Marine Grease and going with that for all your grease needs. The other thing I would suggest is getting a small Micro Grease gun... Magic!

Amazon

Note: Loose Balls Rule... (Sheldon Brown)

I remember back in the 70's I toured the campagnolo assembly sheds in Vicenza Italy. It was an old building with a big high ceiling and wooden tables with old Italian workers wearing aprons assembling those beautiful components. At the end of each table was a big 2 gallon bucket with military markings in Italian. They said Grasso Marino. You could smell the grease when less then 3 feet from the bucket of what appeared to be black tar. Latter at the end of the tour I bought a little white plastic container of Campagnolo Grease. The grease was smooth, odorless, and white. Every time I refill that little container with Marine Grease I think about that tour.
Those grease guns are unbelievably handy. Bought two, one for Marine Grease and one for SuperLube. They get lots of use. Particularly good for getting just enough grease in tight spaces
Old 08-05-23, 05:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Use GAA G403 grease.

So thick and sticky that anyone attempting a bar spin will only get halfway before the landing.
Likes For SkinGriz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.