Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Number Plate Boss / Braze-on

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 05:57 AM
sufficient_d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Could someone measure the position of their number plate boss on a vintage bike-- specifically mid-late 80s Merckx? A measurement from the outside surface of the head tube to the center of the hanger's threads in mm would be sufficient. I figure best to post here vs framebuilder's forums since the bike owners are the ones who have the correct measurement
Old 12-12-23, 06:09 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts
Do photos help at all?
Bicycle Guide ran an article that includes a nice shot of two Merckx's.. one made of steel and one made of flesh.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-12-23, 06:20 AM
sufficient_d

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No pictures don't help but seeing Merckx holding a 7-Eleven is always a good way to start the day so thank you!
Likes For sufficient_d:
Old 12-12-23, 06:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by sufficient_d
No pictures don't help but seeing Merckx holding a 7-Eleven is always a good way to start the day so thank you!
He must have sticky palms.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-12-23, 09:04 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I would check the UCI regulations (if they exist) on placement, but typically I think it's around 10cm (center of HT to hole, educated guess). Also make sure that you have the correct hanger for the frame as there are different configurations, but I am sure that you know that. There was a guy adding tabs back in the day to boost "value", so any repaint has me wondering sometimes!
Old 12-13-23, 05:14 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts

This is the number hanger from my Concorde TSX .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 12-14-23, 12:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Thanks for posting that Manny, I'd wondered abou that dimension. So 3-1/2" from back of head tube to tab, or about 4" from center of head tube to tab.

Every time I've screwed up tying my bike number to frame at Eroica California and Cino I've thought of brazing on those number holders. Of course, that would screw up the paint. I checked at framebuildersupply.com, they no longer have them in stock. Ceeway in England still shows them on their website, however.

Hmm, wondering if someone could 3D print up a clamp on version...
Old 12-14-23, 02:04 PM
Mike V3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 19 Posts
Later this evening I can measure my Merckx.
Old 12-14-23, 02:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Awww, come-on. Pics always make it better. This one was shipped from Belgium to Seattle. No longer mine.

Old 12-14-23, 04:10 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Thanks for posting that Manny, I'd wondered abou that dimension. So 3-1/2" from back of head tube to tab, or about 4" from center of head tube to tab.
That's around 10cm like I guessed. I am sure there is a UCI reg (it's changed now of course) that someone can dig up!
Old 12-14-23, 06:41 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 162 Posts
Every time I see race number braze ons mentioned in the same conversation as Eddy Merckx frames I feel compelled to post into thin air that the addition of these braze ons in itself most often proves that an importer, distributor or customer ticked a box and paid a handful of Belgian francs for the attachment of the former to the latter. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old 12-15-23, 12:20 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Not a Merckx but my wife's Gitane Team Pro…number tabs are sexy! So sexy, I got one for myself (still to be built).

Old 12-16-23, 08:30 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 148 Posts

Every time I've screwed up tying my bike number to frame at Eroica California and Cino I've thought of brazing on those number holders. Of course, that would screw up the paint. I checked at framebuildersupply.com, they no longer have them in stock. Ceeway in England still shows them on their website, however.

I've seen them made from what looks like a rear derailleur cable stop. Could you just drill and tap one of those? Also seen guys using the bolt from a campy shift lever to secure the number.
Old 12-17-23, 04:30 PM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Last year, as a custom framebuilder, I had the task of replacing the top tube and head tube on an Italian build Greg Lemond frameset, which sadly had a large dent in the top tube. I replicated the internal brake routing and moved the number plate braze-on from the old top tube to the new top tube in the same location. The frame was then repainted by Velocolour in Toronto, replicating the original paint scheme exactly, they did an incredible job. The owner was over the moon at the end result.

Mark Beaver
Tamarack Cycles
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Likes For Mark Beaver:
Old 12-18-23, 06:25 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Most race number plate hangers were actually quite crude, being made from flat stock with a hole on it brazed on to the bottom of the top tube. Only a few bike manufacturers bothered to use something more substantial than that.
So it's amazing how much additional "cred" is placed on bikes with these simple race number hangers......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 12-18-23, 07:18 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts

Water bottle cage clamp with a shorter fastener would likely work. Bonus is that they come in pairs. Some of the ride numbers I’ve encountered are too long to be adequately secured by the single bolt on a number tab.