Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek 640 99% original

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 12:02 AM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Trek 640 99% original

22.5" size. Almost entirely original. I had to remove black paint from all the silver components and touch up the frame with black paint. You can see on the chainstay that my black paint wasn't exactly the original, but I didn't want to paint over the "640".

Thoughts on pricing this? I didn't have to track down too many parts, but restoring this was an absolute bear.

​​​
Old 01-08-24, 07:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
These are very nice bikes. There are folks who like the upper tier Treks . The dollar value is down on just about any vintage bike right now. I would say , if you find the right buyer , $250 or so . If you are trying to get the most $$ out of it , sell the parts and F/F separately . Campagnolo parts are worth more separately . It looks like it has Superleggeri pedals and if they are the titanium spindle version could yield around $100 !
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-08-24, 07:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It would be a shame to part this bike out but it is obviously worth more as a part out. Personally I'd try to sell it as a complete bike first. Since the OP is in Portlandia, I'd try a higher price first. Price it at $400 and see if there are any offers. I'd value it closer to $350-$400 but that may be a bit optimistic given the state of the C&V market.
Old 01-08-24, 08:41 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I'm with Kabuki12 on this one, $250 +/- $25. The market is rather flush with $200 vintage Treks so you'll need to find the buyer who appreciates the Campy bits on this one.
Old 01-10-24, 02:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
If you can't get $300 out of it, part it out. You're just losing money.

If the Campy crankset has a matching bb, that's a pretty valuable pair right there. Tipo hubs with matching skewers don't grow on trees. Same with the brakes.

Presentation is rather poor with the saddle level, too long brake cables and interior pics. Pay attention to the little things that will give a buyer confidence that you know what you're doing. Like acquiring two hex head bottle cage bolts. The low-end rear derailleur looks out of place. Spend a couple minutes using an iron file on the rash on the rd and brake levers. A little more bling would make the whole thing pop, like painting the seatpost flutes or adding red toe clip straps. Got any gumwall tires?

Got any pics of the frameset as you were working on it? Include those in your listing! Now that it's built, snap the best outdoor pics you can muster and list in the Spring.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-11-24, 03:56 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If you can't get $300 out of it, part it out. You're just losing money.

If the Campy crankset has a matching bb, that's a pretty valuable pair right there. Tipo hubs with matching skewers don't grow on trees. Same with the brakes.

Presentation is rather poor with the saddle level, too long brake cables and interior pics. Pay attention to the little things that will give a buyer confidence that you know what you're doing. Like acquiring two hex head bottle cage bolts. The low-end rear derailleur looks out of place. Spend a couple minutes using an iron file on the rash on the rd and brake levers. A little more bling would make the whole thing pop, like painting the seatpost flutes or adding red toe clip straps. Got any gumwall tires?

Got any pics of the frameset as you were working on it? Include those in your listing! Now that it's built, snap the best outdoor pics you can muster and list in the Spring.

I was wondering if I parted it out of the ISO bottom bracket would be a hard sell. Would lost buyers want an Italian bb?

Yes, I do hope to get better pictures. If I could find a dark red pedal strap, I would use those instead. Painting the flutes isn't a bad thought.
Old 01-13-24, 06:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I was wondering if I parted it out of the ISO bottom bracket would be a hard sell. Would lost buyers want an Italian bb?

Yes, I do hope to get better pictures. If I could find a dark red pedal strap, I would use those instead. Painting the flutes isn't a bad thought.
Not a problem IMO. Realize there are a lot more bikes with ISO bottom brackets than Italian threaded BBs. Crankset+BB+RD >= Value of entire bike. Then you have wheels and brakes. It's just the market today.
Old 01-13-24, 10:40 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
I tried to sell a vintage Trek earlier this year when the weather was nice and no bites. Stellar price as well. It wasn't Campy which was probably a factor, but it was near original and condition was really nice.

I did purchase a '79 Trek 930 (Columbus SL) this year over the summer for around $200 or $220 I can't remember the exact price. One of my pricier gets but to me it was worth it. But it sat...and sat...and sat, before I picked it up. And it was in a rare color. Sadly, the state of the market - awesome for picking up bikes, terrible for selling them. My region may be different than others, but right now mid to mid-upper tier Treks above $150 just sit. If it's possible to hang on to this one until the weather is nicer, that may help. Road rash on the components and the ding on the top tube will affect value. I wish you the best in selling it!

Likes For AdventureManCO: