Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stoker bag

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Stoker bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 09:15 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stoker bag

At the Blossom Ride today, one member of our five tandem peloton has been in communication with Joanne in Colorado, who has devised a stoker bag.

She will make more of these if there is demand.

Dimension of this model is 8 inches wide, 7 inches tall at the zippered end.

Is there interest here?

Old 03-05-11, 09:21 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Looks very well designed, especially how it opens for easy stoker access. Bonus: The color even matches the daVinci tandem!
However, we have our own workable system . . . stoker reaches back into the rack trunk to access stuff.
Old 03-05-11, 09:32 PM
AngelGendy
Nipples of Steel!

Bikes: Borthwick, Specialized, Ross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's quite nice, once we get some miles under our belt we'll see if we have earned one!
Old 03-05-11, 09:55 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We would be interested, probably more than one. Please pm me about them
Old 03-05-11, 10:20 PM
IbisTouche

Bikes: 1 Speedster & 2 Ibis Touche, 2 Thorn Raven Tour, 2 Thorn Audax mk III, Pedersen, Koga Roadchamp, Centurion Super Le Mans, GT Karakoram Elite, Motobecane Trainer, Mtobecane Inter tandem and 9 cycles (singlecoaster, 2 - 3 gear Torpedo)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We migt be interested in one. Prefer a black one.
Old 03-05-11, 10:50 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Neat idea, and the workmanship on that one looks pretty nice.

Perhaps everyone involved knows this, but folks need to remember that the size of each bag will be unique to every team with some being nice and large, and others pretty compact. Width at the front of the bag can also become a problem if it brushes against the pilot's inner leg on each pedal stroke. Again, this will vary from team to team dependent on a number of factors.

Finally, if that was our tandem I'd definitely put some frame saver tape on the stoker's top tube to keep the bottom of the bag and the velcro strap from wearing through the clear coat and paint / anodizing.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 03-05-11 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 10:56 PM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely interested in a black one. Although, I'd also be interested in an appx measurement of the leading-edge height since our stoker stem may be a little lower than in that pic. Other than that concern, it looks like just the design I've been looking for.
Old 03-06-11, 10:14 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested!
Old 03-07-11, 07:26 AM
carmie

Bikes: daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've experimented with a variety of bags this last year, none of which utilized the space below the handlebar stem as yours does.
We also have a daVinci, and I would be interested in one of your bags, taking into account Tandemgeek's concerns.

Martha
Old 03-07-11, 07:37 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Interested, depending on cost
Old 03-07-11, 02:40 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
This looks very useful, and I would be interesting in getting one.

I'm not sure the size would need to vary so much between different bikes, as long as the attachment points incorporated some versatility. We have a pretty short stoker stem (110mm), so a bag of the size pictured would protrude way beyond the stoker's bars. However, I don't think that that would be much of a problem since my stoker never pedals standing up, and so does not need so much clearance for her knees.

Width at the front of the bag, between the captain's things, does look like it might be a problem, especially for captains who have a seatpost with some set-back / offset (the seatpost in the image above has zero offset, which may have helped to prevent this problem). My thighs don't have much extra girth to them (I'm only 5'9", 145 lbs), yet I've managed to attach things to my seatpost on my single bike and things that protrude in front of my stoker's bars on the tandem that have rubbed on my thighs (I normally use a post with 20mm set-back). The corners of the bag pictured look like they may be in danger of doing this for me.
Old 03-07-11, 04:41 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Neat idea, and the workmanship on that one looks pretty nice.

Perhaps everyone involved knows this, but folks need to remember that the size of each bag will be unique to every team with some being nice and large, and others pretty compact. Width at the front of the bag can also become a problem if it brushes against the pilot's inner leg on each pedal stroke. Again, this will vary from team to team dependent on a number of factors.

Finally, if that was our tandem I'd definitely put some frame saver tape on the stoker's top tube to keep the bottom of the bag and the velcro strap from wearing through the clear coat and paint / anodizing.

Tandemgeek is 100% correct. Absolutely use some type of frame saver protective film. Our Fandango has a set of custom built frame bags. I don't get too worried about the finish on that bike. I was planning to run the upper bag on our Co-Motion for some of our rides. It looks like it will fit. No way is it getting installed until I take the time to protect the frame.

The Fandangos finish is slightly worn from the Velcro straps and bag material.

Also, two other considerations.

First, if the bags bottom rests on a tube, install some foam padding. Our lower bag had helmet lights and spare batteries for the lights, within a mile they settled onto the boom tube. The noise was enough we decided to wrap them in spare soft goods.

Second, after install, do a good preflight of the brake and shifter cables. Clamping them with the Velcro is not a good idea. Don't ask, it was a last minute change ordered from the stoker.

Those look very nice, for now though we are good and have no need for one.

PK
Old 03-07-11, 04:59 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
Second, after install, do a good preflight of the brake and shifter cables. Clamping them with the Velcro is not a good idea.
Yeah, I'm guessing the Joint Venture with the bag in that photo 'may' be one of daVinci's dual-disc models or, at a mininum, sporting a rear disc vs. rear cantilever brakes.

If that's the case, the brake cable is routed along the down tube and boom tube instead of along the top tube. It makes a difference. We've had seat bags under Debbie's bars in the past and they work fine, but as Paul / PK notes they reinforce the old adage: the devil's in the details.

I simpy couldn't deal with my leg brushing up against the small saddle bag we had under Debbie's stoker stem on the Calfee. But, it was never an issue with the Erickson, which used the exact same bag. What was the difference? The Calfee's stoker boom was custom made to my specs and has a much shallower angle. This moved the clamp up closer to my saddle and that moved the bag closer to my hammy's.

On the other hand, I've seen folks who can ride with all kinds of stuff brushing up against their legs -- stoker bar ends & brake hoods, brake cables from V-brakes, large saddle bags etc. -- and it doesn't seem to faze them in the least. Heck, it drives me batty just seeing it!!
Old 03-07-11, 06:38 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Interested, but we don't have too much depth.
My wife likes a low aero position like her road bike so her handlebars are almost under my seat. We run the adjustable stoker stem at its shortest position.
Old 03-08-11, 11:14 AM
2vinci

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture (2010)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi--Joanne here, designer/builder of the stoker bag. I'm happy to see there's interest in the bag. Thank you for your comments. I totally understand that each tandem has a unique configuration, and my idea is to take measurements for each bike and create a custom bag that perfectly fits the setup and maximizes the space available under the stoker's bar. For some tandems this design wouldn't work, but for many it would be the best for optimum storage and minimal impact on the riders. A couple of notes: the bag is mostly suspended from the stoker bars, but it also attaches at the back to the captain's seatpost and the bottom to the top tube so that it doesn't move at all. I don't think the velcro straps would interfere with cables on the top tube. I can stand and pedal with no interfernce from the bag. Also, all sides of the bag have thin plastic sheets between the lining and outer cordura fabric to help the bag keep its shape when loaded. I'd also be able to make the bag in a palette of colors to compliment your bike. I'm now researching setting up a plan to produce these bags, and when I'm ready to take orders, I'll post a notice here with all the info. Thanks for your interest!--Joanne
Old 03-08-11, 12:13 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joanne, really, the bag looks very nice.

If you have moment, jump the link and check out post #74, it shows our Fandango "bagged" and ready to race last fall.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=638913&page=2

Those photos may explain my comment about the cables and a quick double check.

Yes stiffening the bag walls is often good. These bags were the first set our guy built for a tandem, our timing chain was pretty close and was likely to wear through. The quick fix was a carbon fibre panel stuck to the inside.

I mention this knowing, I believe we all get super critical of how things fit and perform. Your concept of building the bags custom is spot on, and pretty much a given. Our bags fit very well and work as they say "beyond our expectations" in the dirt.

The trunk bag and rack is typically our road setup, but we needed more space for when it got colder at night during the race.

No doubt there is a market for this stuff, and with quality and fair pricing you'll do well.

PK

Last edited by PMK; 03-09-11 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 02:56 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
PMK - maybe you could re-post those images here so that we can all see them without having to sign up for an account at mtbr.
Old 03-09-11, 04:21 AM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris_W
PMK - maybe you could re-post those images here so that we can all see them without having to sign up for an account at mtbr.
Sorry about that, the photos were not available at the time I posted. I'll try and dig them up and add them.

PK
Old 03-09-11, 05:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I use an ordinary seat bag that looks something like the picture below

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...addle-bag---g1

Or like this ....

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202602

Or like this ....

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442618245

You can get them in different sizes and shapes and colours. Between the two of us, I wouldn't be surprised if we had 10 or more of these sorts of things around the place, so we've chosen the one that fits the best. I keep my camera in there and some tissues ... things I want to access quickly when we stop.
Old 03-09-11, 11:16 AM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really understand PMK's comment on the cables... I would think we can just run the velcro strap under any cables, not over.

For the bag, you can have a loop at the bottom so people can use their own velcro straps by passing them through the loop and then around the frame under any cables. This way they're replaceable if a cable starts to wear through a strap after a couple years.
Old 03-09-11, 11:28 AM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelspeed
I don't really understand PMK's comment on the cables... I would think we can just run the velcro strap under any cables, not over.

For the bag, you can have a loop at the bottom so people can use their own velcro straps by passing them through the loop and then around the frame under any cables. This way they're replaceable if a cable starts to wear through a strap after a couple years.

PMK works with some very expensive stuff on a frequent basis. Knowing he should have double checked, but got in a hurry, found he had clamped a cable during install. PMK was dumb that day...

Absolutely, the cables will run fine provided the velcro is latched correctly.

Point is, after install double check all cable movements and runs where the bag is positioned.

PK
Old 03-09-11, 05:02 PM
wheelspeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
PMK works with some very expensive stuff on a frequent basis. Knowing he should have double checked, but got in a hurry, found he had clamped a cable during install. PMK was dumb that day...

PK
OH, okay, I've been there before. I normally notice when I'm riding, pull the brakes on, let go and still feel drag. :blush:
Old 03-10-11, 10:55 AM
bikefor2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joanne, I'm definitely interested in a black one, depending on the price. Also, I would want yellow, light gray or red inside so I'm not looking into a black hole. How soon could you make one? I can't PM you because I am a newbie here and don't have 50 forum posts Our bike is a da Vinci and it also has the cable (and cable separator) in that spot running under the top tube. That's the only thing I'm unsure about--the cable could probably move, but the screw/separator thing would be right in that spot and may get caught on a velcro strep.
Old 03-10-11, 10:59 AM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I use an ordinary seat bag that looks something like the picture below

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...addle-bag---g1

Or like this ....

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202602

Or like this ....

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442618245

You can get them in different sizes and shapes and colours. Between the two of us, I wouldn't be surprised if we had 10 or more of these sorts of things around the place, so we've chosen the one that fits the best. I keep my camera in there and some tissues ... things I want to access quickly when we stop.
Whether that works depends on the position of the bars relative to the saddle. In the original photo there was no room for anything much between the bars and the saddle. We currently have a small saddle bag beneath my saddle - like your idea, but it has to be small. The design pictured at the top of the thread would give us substantially more space. This is not entirely unlike the "Bento Box" in its positioning. We looked at a Bento but for our purposes it looked too small. Stoker is currently hoping to make something custom, but if this one is available soon enough that could be just the ticket.
Old 03-10-11, 11:00 AM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2vinci
I'm now researching setting up a plan to produce these bags, and when I'm ready to take orders, I'll post a notice here with all the info. Thanks for your interest!--Joanne
We would most likely be interested, if availability is pre-May. Don't know your timeline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.