Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Proper Cable Lubricant?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Proper Cable Lubricant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 11:59 AM
Gege-Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proper Cable Lubricant?

I recently cleaned the bike, removed all cables and housings. Everything looked ok, I just sprayed chain oil inside the housings and assembled everything back.

But now I am thinking, is there a better lubricant I can use? Not that I run into any problem, but should I stop using chain oil for cables?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-13, 12:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'll assume you have lined housings. If so, only alight oil or film of soft grease is needed, if anything, since the liner is a self lubricating material. No problem with what you did, and if things are working, leave it alone.

However be aware that greases and heavy oils may thicken when temps drop this fall, and cause sluggish response on upshifts as the light RD return spring struggles against the viscosity of the lube. Keep this in mind, so if shifting degrades come October, you know where to look first, but no sweat until then (unless you're in the southern hemisphere).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-18-13, 01:03 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FB's advice is fine, as far as it goes; Shimano-compatible components are more susceptible to this than SRAM. Ditto for 'natural' lubricants V. synthetic.

I use Slick 50 One grease on my fingers to lube my cables during installation, never an issue. I also prefer teflon cables to stainless, in most cases. The exception to this has been XTR cables (which seem to be getting pretty scarce), which deliver more performance than anything else I've used.

I wouldn't be surprised, given that the inner liner is plastic, that Armor All dripped into the housing would work well, also.
Old 05-18-13, 05:20 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some poster named Gerry Hull on the road forum just reported on his "experiment/experience" with cable lubes. He liked silicone grease the best. I believe he specifically mentioned Dielectric Tune -Up grease (found in auto parts store) as the real deal. He also mentioned Shimano silicone-based special grease for cables as being great, but it is very hard to find.

Just reporting what I read. No experience with lubing cables with silicone grease as cable lube. I do have a jar of plumber's grease (might be the same thing) I have always used in lubing the o-ring in my pumps.
Old 05-18-13, 06:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Teflon lined cable housing and Die drawn smooth surface cables , particularly the Stainless steel ones

I fit dry, same type Zinc treated steel After soldering the ends , a little grease is OK

I figure out where Im going to cut the cable, and solder it , and then it wont fray after cutting .
pulling and Re greasing is easy then.

Stainless I just Leave it in. Low Temperature silver solder is harder to do.
Old 05-18-13, 06:48 PM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jed19
Some poster named Gerry Hull on the road forum just reported on his "experiment/experience" with cable lubes.
Thanks, I found the post you are talking about! will try.
Old 05-18-13, 07:41 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Posting links is easy and it saves people a *lot* of time <g>: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Lubricant-Test

Last edited by Metacortex; 05-18-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 08:04 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Cable housings firstly should be clean. The plastic liner, once contaminated, will accumulate embedded grit particles which increase friction.

Silicon is indeed the preferred "oil" for metal sliding on plastic surfaces, as exists in a modern cable housing.

Shimano's best cable housings are pre-lubed with a silicone-based lube.

Silicone and petro oils don't mix, but don't react either. Silicone oil can't evaporate and can't penetrate plastics, which helps prevent the sparse lube application from thickening over time.

The best lube I've used is GripShift "jonnisnot" lube. It is so slippery on plastic that no other grease would allow their "sliding ramp" shift mechanisms to work at all. This lube is a blend of silicone and particulate PTFE. A light swipe of this lube on the inner wire cuts friction to the absolute minimum, but a very heavy application can create viscous resistance to cable movement.

Old cable housings can be cleaned out by sliding a kinked cable wire through in the presence of something like a fast-drying teflon spray.