Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding Continental CruiseContact 700x50 on their 29er?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 02:42 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone with a 29er has put some miles on the Continental CruiseContacts? They seem like Conti's version of the Big Apple (which seems the default semi-slick 29er tire), but 700x50 instead of 2.3".

I would be getting them for endurance mountain bike weekends where i put in 120-200 miles over a 3 day weekend on semi-techincal trails, paved roads and gravel, and need a tire to ride to these striking distances. I don't mind riding microtread and semi-slicks on even moderate singletrack.

about 40 dollars a tire, wide bead (which accounts for some of the extra weight), and 180TPI for what Conti characterizes as a balloon tire for 29ers. lighter than the big apples, but not as light as the conti topcontact or schwalbe marathong supreme "29er" width semi-slicks.

It's the same tire Surly specs on their LHT but in the larger 29er suited dimensions.

Anyone riding Conti CruiseContacts on their 29er?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-13, 04:56 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Heads up on a first report. excellent tires.

I just rallied these tires thru 15 miles of easy to moderate singletrack, wet mud, loose leaves, rock gardens, banked turns and rollers, in spring conditions, and they stuck like flypaper. I am quite impressed.

These tires rocked. Fast, very little mud throw, slightly more prone to skid out in the corners, and felt slightly less secure on off camber and at higher speeds. Grip was more than adequate, more than i expected. Generally stuck like a champ, had air volume to tackle the rock gardens, loose sand, and roots, and rolled fast while throwing up remarkably miniscule amounts of dirt.

AS to the mud throw, i'd rip thru a slop trough and fully expect a faceshot of mud, never happened. the tires seemed to shed the mud not at my face in huge, knobbie sized blocks, but kind of like a snake shedding its skin, right next to the tire. A little got tossed up, but not much!

They ride like faster small block 8s with more roll and a little less grip.

If you're looking for a Long distance mountain bike tire, a rails to trails cruiser, a town commuter, or have been exploring microtread tire designs for off road, consider the conti cruise contact. it's a radical step away from knobbies, but deceptively so.

They ride in the dirt quite well. Not quite a mudder but grippier than you'd think by their profile.

Last edited by Bekologist; 05-24-13 at 05:01 AM.