Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rolling resistance and weight vs puncture resistance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rolling resistance and weight vs puncture resistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 09:27 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

pardon my playing the devils advocate here, but surely, if you haven’t gotten a single flat in 3 years, then flats are not in fact, very likely. So many people say they don’t like getting flats, but then will almost always follow that up with “but I haven’t gotten a flat in years”. I’m a commuter, I do on average, close to 20 miles everyday. I haven’t had an actual puncture in probably 5+ years. Haven’t had a pinch flat since I moved from 25/28mm tires to 32mm. I realised I was paying for heavy slow tires, for no real reason. I ride panaracer gravelkings now, and my commute is better for it.

This is why I’m always keen to ask, are you dealing with actual punctures, or pinch flats? To everyone who thinks they need these heavy tires. Because these are very different things, that these heavy ‘resistant’ tires don’t protect you from.
I commute every day on roads with a lot of broken glass and debris that is infrequently swept up. I try to avoid puncture hazards, but I'm often on a shoulder or in a lane that's too narrow to allow a lot of maneuvering. When I started commuting I was on some inexpensive gumwall tires that came on the bike when I bought from the used bike dealer. I had a couple puncture flats per month. I switched to some puncture resistant Serfas Secas and maybe got two puncture flats in the next year.

Now I still have a Seca on the front and switched the rear to a gatorskin hardshell. Haven't had another puncture flat since. I still get a rare pinch flat or flat from a spoke nipple or something else rubbing in the rim. For me, it's absolutely worth it. I get to work on time every time. No surprises. Every couple weeks to a month I spend some time examining all the little cuts in my tires and extract a dozen little sharp pieces of gravel or glass shards. Without puncture protection I believe most of those would eventually work their way through the casing. The liner in the gatorskins keep them from doing any damage.

I think it's kind of condescending to post on forum full of pretty experienced riders and assume that they can't tell a puncture flat from a pinch flat from some other cause.

I read the post you replied to:

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I'm in that camp as well. Dislike flats and dealing with them. Given where I ride, there is a lot of junk on the roads and trails, so flats are very likely. (Haven't gotten one in the past 3yrs or so, so I'm doing something right.)
as saying that he hasn't had a flat in 3 yrs after switching to puncture resistant tires.
Old 11-07-18, 09:37 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
So after all the reading, I decided on the original Schwalbe Marathons. As winter has already set in--snow and cold here in Montana-I won't get a chance to try them for some time. Perhaps a 50 degree day will come along and I'll get out on them and report back. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-07-18, 09:40 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I commute every day on roads with a lot of broken glass and debris that is infrequently swept up. I try to avoid puncture hazards, but I'm often on a shoulder or in a lane that's too narrow to allow a lot of maneuvering. When I started commuting I was on some inexpensive gumwall tires that came on the bike when I bought from the used bike dealer. I had a couple puncture flats per month. I switched to some puncture resistant Serfas Secas and maybe got two puncture flats in the next year.

Now I still have a Seca on the front and switched the rear to a gatorskin hardshell. Haven't had another puncture flat since. I still get a rare pinch flat or flat from a spoke nipple or something else rubbing in the rim. For me, it's absolutely worth it. I get to work on time every time. No surprises. Every couple weeks to a month I spend some time examining all the little cuts in my tires and extract a dozen little sharp pieces of gravel or glass shards. Without puncture protection I believe most of those would eventually work their way through the casing. The liner in the gatorskins keep them from doing any damage.

I think it's kind of condescending to post on forum full of pretty experienced riders and assume that they can't tell a puncture flat from a pinch flat from some other cause.

as saying that he hasn't had a flat in 3 yrs after switching to puncture resistant tires.
there was nothing condescending about it. You just didn’t read carefully what I wrote. I didn’t assume anything, I was in fact simply wondering. How do you know everyone is an experienced rider? What’s the criteria for that? It’s you who have assumed here. And I think you’re angry because you feel personally offended. you’re not speaking for anyone else, just you. This is evidenced by the need to specifically tell me why you need resistant tires. Also, no he didn’t say AFTER he switched. Can you show me where he specifically stated that, or did I miss it? Because he didn’t mention switching at all. He said he uses resistant tires, but hasn’t had a flat in 3yrs, then he states that he uses continental tour guards. Read more carefully before accusing someone of being condescending. From one commuter to another, chill mate, I was simply stating an observation. no need to make accusations and get your knickers in a twist. Cheers.

Last edited by seamuis; 11-07-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:48 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by Witterings
All 3 of the links posted below for the GK's mention puncture protection in the description so unless you've some other sort of Gravelking's **********?

Wiggle | Panaracer Gravel King Folding Road Tyre | Tyres

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pan...ible-Tyre/EQ4X

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod149455
LOL, mate that’s all marketing. The gravelkings breaker belt is no better than the continental gatorskins. And the gravelkings are lighter than gatorskins. They are even lighter than my 32mm Clément stradas. Will that belt stop a thorn? A nail? Screw? Yea, of course not. Will it stop some small pieces of glass? Most likely. But I check my tires everyday, so for at least myself, personally, I wouldn’t let anything like that go unnoticed long enough to work it’s way to my tube. Again, my experience isn’t gospel, I just find it intriguing the constant position of people saying they need them, or that they are worth it, but admit they don’t get flats.

It’s funny that a simple observation ruffles so many feathers. It’s not like i told anyone they wasted their money. Also, LOL at taking the time out of your day to look at multiple websites. Panaracer has its own.

Old 11-07-18, 09:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Prior to a switch to tubeless, my wife was experiencing a flat every other ride. And seeing as she can, in the best circumstances, ride twice a week, this was unacceptable. On one 60 mile ride, between just 2 riders, there were 5 flats. We all ran out of tubes and Co2s. At the time having the only bike with tubeless, I had to ride the rest of the way home and get the car.

I converted her bike to tubeless in August of 2017. Since that time, over roughly 2,000 miles, she has not recorded a single flat. I've pulled goatheads out of my tires before making it even to the end of my street. Without tubeless, I can say with some certainty I would get 2 or more flats per week.
Old 11-07-18, 10:00 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Prior to a switch to tubeless, my wife was experiencing a flat every other ride. And seeing as she can, in the best circumstances, ride twice a week, this was unacceptable. On one 60 mile ride, between just 2 riders, there were 5 flats. We all ran out of tubes and Co2s. At the time having the only bike with tubeless, I had to ride the rest of the way home and get the car.

I converted her bike to tubeless in August of 2017. Since that time, over roughly 2,000 miles, she has not recorded a single flat. I've pulled goatheads out of my tires before making it even to the end of my street. Without tubeless, I can say with some certainty I would get 2 or more flats per week.
Ive actually said many times that goathead thorns are singlehandely the best case for road tubless there is. I won’t adopt it though until it’s matured and more widely adopted, because I need better than roughly 60psi, to get me to fork over the cash to replace my rims and deal with sealant.
Old 11-07-18, 10:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
pardon my playing the devils advocate here, but surely, if you haven’t gotten a single flat in 3 years, then flats are not in fact, very likely.
The likelihood is primarily a question of the roadways and level of threats (glass, nails, etc) on them, and secondarily what I as a cyclist can do to minimize the likelihood.

On the roads I travel, the risk is fairly extreme on several of the roads, and modest on many of them. I choose to be fairly cautious in avoiding any visually-identifiable impediment on the roadway, if I've got the time and it's safe to do so. I also happen, at the moment, to have a fairly well-protected tire, which certainly helps.

Haven't always used high-protection tires. At which point, on the same basic roads and sections with similar levels of impediments (glass and whatnot), I experienced a handful of puncture flats.

If the junk on the roadways was much less, I'd likely feel I could get away with a leaner-and-meaner tire. Until then ...
Old 11-07-18, 10:50 AM
Clyde1820

'm in that camp as well. Dislike flats and dealing with them. Given where I ride, there is a lot of junk on the roads and trails, so flats are very likely. (Haven't gotten one in the past 3yrs or so, so I'm doing something right.)
... as saying that he hasn't had a flat in 3 yrs after switching to puncture resistant tires.
Yes. Previously, I tended to get a couple of puncture flats every year or so, from crud in the streets. Notably nails, small screws, glass.

But not since I got this set of Conti Ride Tour tires. Beasts, to be sure. Heavier than they probably need to be. But the tread handles the mixed-grip situations I need to cope with, and the added protection layer seems pretty darned effective at keeping punctures out.
Old 11-07-18, 11:03 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I use supple, comfortable tires in the warm weather months and flat resistant ones in the cold time of year. I don't want to have to change a flat with frozen fingers.
Old 11-07-18, 11:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I use supple, comfortable tires in the warm weather months and flat resistant ones in the cold time of year. I don't want to have to change a flat with frozen fingers.
My thoughts exactly. Not only for flats, but the more flat resistant are also more durable and the debris and weather conditions tend to wear my tires down quickly this time of year. Going slower in the cold, I don't really care about rolling resistance. So I can use inexpensive tires, another bonus of that perspective.
Old 11-07-18, 11:11 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Yes. Previously, I tended to get a couple of puncture flats every year or so, from crud in the streets. Notably nails, small screws, glass.

But not since I got this set of Conti Ride Tour tires. Beasts, to be sure. Heavier than they probably need to be. But the tread handles the mixed-grip situations I need to cope with, and the added protection layer seems pretty darned effective at keeping punctures out.
see, this is exactly what I’m referencing. You clearly make the case that your streets are hazardous enough to need them, but then say you only get a couple a flats a year. Or so.(That’s extremely insignificant if you’re a commuter) then you specifically mention things like nails and screws, which will go right through most ‘breaker belts’ like in gatorskins or other conti tires. So looking at the given numbers and taking a practical approach, one could reasonably say you don’t actually need them. That being said, it makes no difference to me what you or anyone uses. I’m just parsing our the given info and looking at it from a realistic point of view. I don’t think, based on your stated experience, that you can definitely say that you need them, or that they have helped you. Only, that mentally, it helps to know that you have some protection. Which is all well enough.

i shouldn’t need to say this, but I’ll say it anyway: ride whatever tires you want. As long as you’re riding, it’s all good. Don’t want to be a condescending feather ruffler, after all.

Last edited by seamuis; 11-07-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 11:20 AM
Clyde1820

see, this is exactly what I’m referencing. You clearly make the case that ...
But likelihood of experiencing a flat comes from a variety of factors. Including how a person rides, how visual a person is and diligent in avoidance of what can be avoided, etc. Which also changes as the weather/season changes (as in, I can't be as diligent during inclement weather as compared to normal).

Anyway. Yes, I do better-protected tires. And I ride the same, and on the same streets with similar crud, much of the year. And there has been an elimination (so far) of puncture flats since going to the better-protected tire. So far as I can tell, no other change in riding characteristics (attentiveness and whatnot).

In the end, it's impossible to know, either way. Works for me. Might well work for others. Hence the data point.
Old 11-07-18, 11:26 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts

see, this is exactly what I’m referencing. You clearly make the case that your streets are hazardous enough to need them, but then say you only get a couple a flats a year. Or so.(That’s extremely insignificant if you’re a commuter) then you specifically mention things like nails and screws, which will go right through most ‘breaker belts’ like in gatorskins or other conti tires. So looking at the given numbers and taking a practical approach, one could reasonably say you don’t actually need them. That being said, it makes no difference to me what you or anyone uses. I’m just parsing our the given info and looking at it from a realistic point of view. I don’t think, based on your stated experience, that you can definitely say that you need them, or that they have helped you. Only, that mentally, it helps to know that you have some protection. Which is all well enough.

i shouldn’t need to say this, but I’ll say it anyway: ride whatever tires you want. As long as you’re riding, it’s all good. Don’t want to be a condescending feather ruffler, after all.
1) A rider riding without puncture protection gets flats. Same rider riding in the same conditions with puncture resistant tires doesn't get flats and your conclusion is that the puncture resistant layer isn't helping to avoid flats? Intriguing.

2) You use puncture resistant tires yourself, but you keep going on and on about how no one should really need puncture resistant tires? Intriguing.
Old 11-07-18, 01:41 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

1) A rider riding without puncture protection gets flats. Same rider riding in the same conditions with puncture resistant tires doesn't get flats and your conclusion is that the puncture resistant layer isn't helping to avoid flats? Intriguing. Which rider are you talking about here? Also correlation does not imply causation. Especially when specifically talking about road hazards that will tear right through most reististant tires.

2) You use puncture resistant tires yourself, but you keep going on and on about how no one should really need puncture resistant tires? Intriguing. Care to point to where I ever went on and on about how no one really needs them? I haven’t told anyone to switch tires have I? Questioning people’s given reasons isn’t telling them what they need or what they should do. I don’t care what anyone actually does, I’m just having a discussion.

1)youre purposely oversimplifying the given data and the things I’ve said, to the point where your statement is meaningless. Go back and actually read everything that’s been said. You can’t possibly have come to this conclusion unless you didn’t actually read. No other explanation.

2)I switched to gravelkings less than two months ago. I was previously riding tires that have even less resistance. Nearly any tire can market as ‘puncture reistence’. With most tires, this is meaningless. There’s a vast difference between something like a thin breaker belt and something like a marathon supreme tire. Nails, screws or thorns, even large glass will go right through my tires. I haven’t had a puncture in 5 years as a full time commuter. So again, you’re clearly oversimplifying everything and even outright misrepresenting what’s been said.
Old 11-07-18, 05:23 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Its not a simple question over one being better than the other. Rather, that there are pros and cons to each depending on the type and location of riding you do. If your main concern is speed then you chose the lighter tire. However, if you're primarily a commuter, and you ride on bad roads than you can better believe the advantage will go to the puncture resistant (PR) tire.

Of course there are many reasons to why people get flats, and no PR tire will protect you from all of them. However, its has been my experience that flats occur a lot less often with PR tires than without.

BTW, if I only road on smooth well-maintained roads or had a racing specified bike, I'd choose a lighter, faster tire. However, LA has some pretty beat-up roads with broken concrete and I have run over nails, screws and glass shards that dug well into the tread but did not result in a flat. I need a tire that can take this punishment. So for my riding, the advantage goes to PR.
Old 11-07-18, 05:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I choose tires with flat protection, it's better to be prepared than to be fixing flats on the side of the road. Some people in this thread greatly exaggerate when they say that tires with flat protection handle like crap and have too high of a rolling resistance.
Old 11-08-18, 09:12 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I choose tires with flat protection, it's better to be prepared than to be fixing flats on the side of the road. Some people in this thread greatly exaggerate when they say that tires with flat protection handle like crap and have too high of a rolling resistance.
Seriously. I carry a tube and pump, but I basically don't want to have to fix a flat ever. Ever since I put Schwalbe Marathons on my bike 2 years ago, I haven't had to. Before that, I had a folding gravel tire on the back and got 4 flats in 2 weeks of riding around Philly. The way I deal with rolling resistance is by getting stronger legs. Problem solved.
Old 11-08-18, 10:04 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
This is the thing: you got 4 flats in 2 weeks and now you *know* that you need better puncture protection. However, if all someone have ever used were heavy bulletproof tires, how will he know that he really needs them? He may be paying penalty on every ride for nothing.

IMHO an idea that everyone needs super puncture resistant tires is ridiculous, it all depends on the road conditions. No sane person will advise anyone to get a FS mountain bike for riding perfectly paved roads only, it just makes no sense. The same with the tire choice, the only difference is that one can easily tell which road is good for road bike and which one will require FS MTB - and one can't know what level of puncture protection is really needed unless one tries different tires (or has friends that have done the same and are riding in the same area).
Old 11-08-18, 11:25 AM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DIY masochist
The way I deal with rolling resistance is by getting stronger legs. Problem solved.
If you had stronger legs and less rolling resistance imagine how fast you'd go :-)

Don't worry though I'm in your camp of thought ... hate flats!!
Old 11-08-18, 11:26 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
This is the thing: you got 4 flats in 2 weeks and now you *know* that you need better puncture protection. However, if all someone have ever used were heavy bulletproof tires, how will he know that he really needs them?
It's easy enough to query friends and others about the relative risk of crud in the roads along one's chosen route. Or, to even see for oneself, based on what's there.

True, one won't know the actual likelihood until traveling that route. But one can get a good idea.
Old 11-11-18, 10:23 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you regularly ride with a particular group of people, check out what kind of tires they use. If it's a group that rides together a lot, you'll probably find that they graduate to the same thing. Get the same thing.

I don't know if they'll be any better or not but, if you ever have a puncture while on a group ride, you won't have to put up with the lecture about what crappy tires you use while everybody is standing around waiting for you to fix your flat.
Old 11-11-18, 10:46 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Wow - there is a whole bunch of angst in this thread over preventing flats. No matter what tires you're on you'll be carrying a spare tube and air, so why constantly suffer riding on tractor tires?

For me, 28mm tires are the upper end of what I need, regardless of the road/riding conditions. And yes, the fat 28s on 500 gram clincher rims do ride like a tractor compared to the 23mm tires on carbon tubular rims that I love to ride.

I spent most of 2018 riding on 25mm tires on dirt and crappy chip-seal roads close to the Arctic Circle. No flats. No angst.