Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for high-quality, fast 32 or 35 mm tires and rims?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suggestions for high-quality, fast 32 or 35 mm tires and rims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 10:11 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
I’m really surprised that so many people have suggested the gravelkings. I thought I might be the only one. I’m quite surprised, but I’m clearly in good company.
Old 11-14-18, 10:56 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
I’m really surprised that so many people have suggested the gravelkings. I thought I might be the only one. I’m quite surprised, but I’m clearly in good company.
It's a nice rolling & performing tire at a great price point. that lands somewhere between the more expensive Compass tires, and a more robust T-serv/pasela
Old 11-14-18, 11:31 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by Metieval
It's a nice rolling & performing tire at a great price point. that lands somewhere between the more expensive Compass tires, and a more robust T-serv/pasela
exactly why I suggested it.
Old 11-14-18, 12:41 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

h+Son tb14. But I’m far from the only person to have issues mounting stranda biancas. I would say, if yours mounted easy, you’re in the minority. Excellent tires though, no doubt. These are the only tires to ever break leavers trying to mount, that I’ve experienced.
Good to know. The Gravelkings are also a good tire from what I've heard; at least I don't know anyone who has anything bad to say about them. Except for people riding directly behind them--they're called Gravel Flings for a reason.

And we're in something of a golden age as far as options for 30-40mm tires go right now. Certainly a lot more options than there were just a few years ago.
Old 11-14-18, 01:20 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by ksryder
Good to know. The Gravelkings are also a good tire from what I've heard; at least I don't know anyone who has anything bad to say about them. Except for people riding directly behind them--they're called Gravel Flings for a reason.

And we're in something of a golden age as far as options for 30-40mm tires go right now. Certainly a lot more options than there were just a few years ago.
I think that’s for the SK version, not the slicks. So far, as they have been the tires on my daily rider/commuter for a short while now, I have been incredibly impressed. Not the best tire I’ve ever ridden, by a wide margin. But probably one of the best ive ever ridden for the price. I compared the 32’s to the 32mm Clément strada LGG’s and I prefer the GravelKing’s. Not the first panaracer made tire I’ve ridden or owned, but the first panaracer branded, and I can’t think of a single negative thing to say.

i agree, the options in this range are fantastic. I really want to try the 32mm Teravail Rampart, but I’m waiting for the ‘tanwall’ version. Currently that’s only available in 38mm, and I’m personally not keen on solid black tires.
Old 11-14-18, 01:59 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I have the Bontrager Hard Case tires 700x32 that came stock on my Trek FXS6, and I'm more than happy with them. Great grip, low rolling resistance, and (knocks on wood) so far quite flat resistant. I'll probably switch over to tubleless when I wear these out.

Old 11-14-18, 02:40 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just saw Jack Brown Green folding tires from Planet X bikes in the UK for around $21.
Old 11-14-18, 03:16 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I have the Bontrager Hard Case tires 700x32 that came stock on my Trek FXS6, and I'm more than happy with them. Great grip, low rolling resistance, and (knocks on wood) so far quite flat resistant. I'll probably switch over to tubleless when I wear these out.
its good that you’re happy, but they are still very heavy tires. They may be ‘fast’ rolling and offer good grip for what they are, but so do my schwalbe delta cruisers. In the big picture though, they’re still heavy and slow. I’m not trying to knock you or your tires, and it actually makes no difference to me what anybody rides on. But you could see massive gains in grip, and general ‘speed’ (shedding of a lot of rotational weight) allowing them to spin up faster. A net positive in efficiency and with it a likely increase in average speed, if you upgraded. And for probably little money invested. I hope you choose a better tire when you decide to replace them. In the mean time, might I suggest a set of panaracer gravelking’s.
Old 11-14-18, 03:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Just saw Jack Brown Green folding tires from Planet X bikes in the UK for around $21.
I had a set of those Really good tire. They were the tires that sold me on “big, fast, light, and supple”. The Compass tires I got after those were smoother, but not a whole lot faster. For $21 it sounds like a great deal.
Old 11-14-18, 05:08 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts

its good that you’re happy, but they are still very heavy tires. They may be ‘fast’ rolling and offer good grip for what they are, but so do my schwalbe delta cruisers. In the big picture though, they’re still heavy and slow. I’m not trying to knock you or your tires, and it actually makes no difference to me what anybody rides on. But you could see massive gains in grip, and general ‘speed’ (shedding of a lot of rotational weight) allowing them to spin up faster. A net positive in efficiency and with it a likely increase in average speed, if you upgraded. And for probably little money invested. I hope you choose a better tire when you decide to replace them. In the mean time, might I suggest a set of panaracer gravelking’s.
No doubt. Bike is a month old and they came stock. Since the rims are tubeless ready, I'll be going that direction soon.
Old 11-18-18, 08:30 AM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I just realized I only have 28 mm and 35 mm tubes on hand. Would there be much of a performance hit or other issues if I use those with the 32 mm Gravelking tires? Which would be better to use, the 28 mm or 35 mm?

In case I buy new 32 mm tubes, anyone have suggestions for ones that'd go well with the Gravelking 32 mm tires mounted on my 35 mm Bontrager rims?
Old 11-18-18, 09:37 AM
honcho

Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Where are you guys finding quantitative rolling resistance measurements for your tires? https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com seems to have the largest dataset for bike tires. Just because a bike tire feels fast doesn't mean it is actually fast.
Old 11-18-18, 10:16 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by el forestero
I just realized I only have 28 mm and 35 mm tubes on hand. Would there be much of a performance hit or other issues if I use those with the 32 mm Gravelking tires? Which would be better to use, the 28 mm or 35 mm?

In case I buy new 32 mm tubes, anyone have suggestions for ones that'd go well with the Gravelking 32 mm tires mounted on my 35 mm Bontrager rims?
Just use the tubes you have. 28 tube would be better in a 32 tire as it will stretch, but a 35 tube will also work. If you use a 35, make sure it is not pinched when installing the tire.

Most tubes have ranges of tires they recommend (28-32, 35-43, etc...)
Old 11-18-18, 10:22 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
What do the number really mean?

Originally Posted by honcho
Where are you guys finding quantitative rolling resistance measurements for your tires? https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com seems to have the largest dataset for bike tires. Just because a bike tire feels fast doesn't mean it is actually fast.
After looking over the figures from the above sight, I wonder what the numbers mean in actual feel and speed for a recreational cyclist. For example, is a 10w difference noticeable while pedaling? How much does 10w really slow one down? Is 10w a lot or a little difference? Any personal experiences to get a better understanding of these numbers?
Old 11-18-18, 10:27 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
panaracer gravelking in a 32
^^This. Very comfortable, extremely long-wearing, and surprisingly versatile. Don't let the "gravel" name fool you -- these are excellent road tires that can also handle less groomed surfaces.
Old 11-18-18, 10:58 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I think you'll find most forum experiences are not derived by scientific methodology as there is no way to set control groups. But I agree with you 100%. Just because a tire "feels" fast doesn't necessarily translate into real world performance increases.
Old 11-18-18, 11:02 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i always use no name cheap tires. Over a thousand urban miles on 1.5" cheap Kenda tires...never get flat.

also have cheap oem no-name 25mm tires...very light weight, fast...again, hundreds of miles, only one flat.

i went into the LBS looking to try 28, they want $50 for just one brand name tire...i was blown away. two tires cost always as much as m bike is worth. crazy, i just stick to cheap tires from online.

not sure why people willing to pay so much for so little more.
You're shopping in the wrong place for good prices.

I've been using a set of Kenda Kwicks on my street friendly MTB for years. I can't seem to wear them out. When I bought them they were only $10 each. They're definitely not my favorite tire, but they seem to be very durable.
Old 11-18-18, 11:11 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by el forestero

both sizes would work just fine. The 28’s will save you a small amount of weight. I use zipp tubes, because they’re a little lighter weight and have smooth aluminium (no threading) valves, with removable cores. If none of that matters, then the brand really doesn’t matter much. Most tubes are made in either China or Taiwan, regardless of brand. Even the cheap Bell brand tubes work fine.
Old 11-18-18, 11:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i always use no name cheap tires. Over a thousand urban miles on 1.5" cheap Kenda tires...never get flat.

also have cheap oem no-name 25mm tires...very light weight, fast...again, hundreds of miles, only one flat.

i went into the LBS looking to try 28, they want $50 for just one brand name tire...i was blown away. two tires cost always as much as m bike is worth. crazy, i just stick to cheap tires from online.

not sure why people willing to pay so much for so little more.

1- you dont have to pay $50 to get a wuality 28mm road tire. That's just what your specific shop had in the specific size.
2- the OP asked for high quality fast tires. Rambling about inexpensive heavy tires isnt helpful or applicable.
3- what bike are you referring to when you say a $100 set of tires costs as much as the bike is worth? You have so many vague bikes at this point, I can't keep track.
Old 11-18-18, 12:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

True, but how a tire rolls on a small diameter smooth metal drum also has its issues when using it to determine real world results.

Personally, I’ll go with my subjective impressions in the real world conditions I ride in over relaible, repeatable, and quantifiable results in conditions completely unlike those I ride in.
Old 11-18-18, 01:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

True, but how a tire rolls on a small diameter smooth metal drum also has its issues when using it to determine real world results.

Personally, I’ll go with my subjective impressions in the real world conditions I ride in over relaible, repeatable, and quantifiable results in conditions completely unlike those I ride in.
I find a starting point such as the drum testing to be helpful as it helps remove from cobsideration tires that I won't waste time and money on due to poor rolling resistance.

while a drum test isnt perfect, it's certainly better than using manufacturer's advertising which is another main way of finding tires.
asking here is often a hit or miss scenario where you will get repeated suggestions due to group thought and use along with a couple outlier suggestions.

repeatable tests - gimme some of that for sure.
Old 11-18-18, 01:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
repeatable tests - gimme some of that for sure.
Precision does not equal accuracy.
Old 11-18-18, 01:45 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Precision does not equal accuracy.
Uhmmm, yes it does.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/precise

Maybe not according to BroScience, but yeah.
Old 11-18-18, 01:53 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Uhmmm, yes it does.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/precise

Maybe not according to BroScience, but yeah.
BroScience and just plain “science”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

Undertanding the difference between accuracy vs precision is pretty much Experimental Design & Data Interpretation 101.

More specific to this example, just because you keep getting the same resistance values (high precision) does not mean these values reflect what you really want to know (rolling resistance in real world conditions).

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-18-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 02:02 PM
honcho

Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts

Repeatable, Objective, quantitative data is, in my experience, a reasonable starting point. There are so many variables involved with tires on bicycles that even the the "best" tire in testing may not be the best on the road for every cyclist in every situation. If flying by the seat of your pants with your tyre choices makes you happy, more power to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.