Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy...bump from Shimano hydraulic hose on shifter driving me nuts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 04:30 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

I have the same bars on my road and gravel bikes. Gravel (gray tape in pic) has Force AXS shifters, road bike (black tape in pic) has Shimano Ultegra Di2 8070 shifters. I have thousands of miles on Shimano hydraulic shifters but lately I can't get comfortable on the hoods because of the way the hydraulic hose junction protrudes. The Sram hoods don't have this problem with the hose more on top of the shifter.

It's like when you have a rock in your shoe and can't stop thinking about it!!

I don't know why this is happening lately. Has anyone else run into this? Any tips (e.g. wrap extra bits of tape?) to help make this less noticeable?

I really prefer the ergonomics of the Sram hoods but am not quite ready to swap over the road bike to Sram given the cost and hassle.

Old 06-12-23, 05:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Only thing I could suggest is to rotate your Shimano levers slightly inward (which is also fashionable). It might help or it might not.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-12-23, 07:32 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Re-wrap your bars so the tape goes further out onto the lever and covers the mineral oil port. The tape softens the edge created by the mineral oil port. My di2 ultegra levers are set up that way and I've never noticed it as an issue.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 06-12-23, 07:57 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I’ve wrapped both ways - but most recently wrapped over the mineral port protrusion

( my levers assemblies are installed just slightly outward - so the protrusion could be more annoying to some)

in addition to wrapping over the protrusion and other suggestions - you could try adding small piece(s) of bar tape near the protrusion (before installing bar wrap over it) to ‘build up’ the area and reduce / smooth the transition ? ( I fiddled with this idea for a bit and then dropped it )

Last edited by t2p; 06-12-23 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-12-23, 08:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
please note: regardless you still might be crazy
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-12-23, 10:34 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
please note: regardless you still might be crazy
I'm with you there

Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-12-23, 10:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Take off one pedal. Remove all the grease from the bearings, reinstall pedal. The grinding under one foot and the associated noise will make you forget all about those hoods
Old 06-12-23, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I've noticed that I can't make then look as good as other STI's I've had. But I've not been bothered by the bump.

And I don't know anyone that scrutinizes my bike that closely for it to be noticed how well they look in that area of the bars.

> Am I crazy...bump from Shimano hydraulic hose on shifter driving me nuts
You might be. Might not really be related to the bump. Might be just a short drive for you! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-12-23, 01:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
After riding Shimano hydraulic STI hoods for a while, the palms of your hand, particularly the thenar on each hand, will develop a callus, which should render you immune from any further effects.
Old 06-12-23, 01:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
For a few years I had Tektro levers on a bike with fat bottoms like they were designed to incorporate brifter mechanisms someday (perhaps when a Shimano patent expired?) Never felt right to my hands.

I've always considered brake levers and hoods a fit item; one of the key contact points with the bike. A place that should be right on perfect. Like the seat and the pedals/shoes. Not one size fits all. Requiring brake hoods and derailleurs to be sold and used as matched sets never made sense to me.
Old 06-12-23, 01:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've noticed that I can't make then look as good as other STI's I've had. But I've not been bothered by the bump.

And I don't know anyone that scrutinizes my bike that closely for it to be noticed how well they look in that area of the bars.
Same. My hands aren't ever over on that side of the brifter.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-16-23, 09:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yes, you're crazy.

In regards to the bump or different ergonomics - move the lever up higher so you get a flat transition from the top of the bar on to the lever and the "bump", as you call it, will be more under the tops of the bars as it is angling the hose to run along the front or bottom of the bars.

Of course you can run a gel pad cut up in a way to help with the feeling or simply cut a piece of tape to have it match the way you want to feel.

Everyone is different. If you don't like a lever's ergonomics then you don't like it. Luckily in the Shimano lineup there are more than a few choices you can try that are compatible - especially if it's a Di2 setup. Personally I love the Shimano ergonomics. I have never really had a problem with SRAM's either tbh but I have definitely had some blisters/sore spots on hands from the Campagnolo ergonomics in the past.