Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 08:10 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
That's alot of bike for $4k 😎😎😎 Enjoy it!!!
The problem with Canyon are the fees (import, duty, tax, etc.) you get after the purchase. The company is transparent and tells you in advance, but it's still a lot of money.

You can't compare Canyon's MSRP with other brand's MSRP unless both bikes are available at a LBS and have a pricetag on them.
Old 06-29-23, 08:13 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
The problem with Canyon are the fees (import, duty, tax, etc.) you get after the purchase. The company is transparent and tells you in advance, but it's still a lot of money.

You can't compare Canyon's MSRP with other brand's MSRP unless both bikes are available at a LBS and have a pricetag on them.
I don't know the conversion of maple syrup to freedom dollars, but I can buy that Canyon for $4k and can't get anything close in an LBS near me for that price in the US. Seems like a good deal 🤷‍♂️
Old 06-29-23, 08:16 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I don't know the conversion of maple syrup to freedom dollars, but I can buy that Canyon for $4k and can't get anything close in an LBS near me for that price in the US. Seems like a good deal 🤷‍♂️
Let us know how much it will cost you in total once the bike arrives at your front door.

Ironically, for some reason, some bikes are actually cheaper here than in the US of A. For instance, my bike's MSRP is 7900$ (CAD) and the MSRP in the US of A is 8000$. Not sure why though but 8000$ US equals to 10 500$ CAD right now. I could probably sell the thing to one of you and make a profit out of it.

Last edited by eduskator; 06-29-23 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:22 AM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Let us know how much it will cost you in total once the bike arrives at your front door
Not sure what your issue is 🤷‍♂️

It's $3,999 on Canyon's US site and I'm in the US. So it's $3,999 + $99 shipping + 6.35% sales tax 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

There are no duties or customs.
Old 06-30-23, 09:48 AM
Markjc

Bikes: Tommasini, Sampson, Merlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given your age I would be concerned with the bike fit (I'm 67). And areo bike is going to have a more aggressive geometry, that you may or may not like. A problem with Canyon is you get a great bike but you can't test ride it. My suggestion, go to a bike shop and try different aero bikes. See if you like the ride and if you are nice the shop might compare the fit of the other bike to the Canyon. That said, you are an inspiration for me to keep riding and to still think about buying another bike.
Old 06-30-23, 11:15 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Not sure on the areobike. I don't race. I do have a areobike and non- areo. All I notice is bike fit.
Old 06-30-23, 12:26 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Kinda surprised so many "older" folks are getting caught up in the Aeroad craze. I'm a master's cyclist approaching Cat 1 and ride 10k + miles per yr. The slight watt savings at 25mph+ makes the aggressive geo and harsh ride worth it to me, but only barely. If I was more focused on fast group rides / occasional centuries, I wouldn't bother with dedicated aero frames. My new Ultimate CFR is more fun on the hills and considerably more forgiving over bad tarmac. Just my 2 pennies.
Likes For ctak:
Old 06-30-23, 12:40 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Kinda surprised so many "older" folks are getting caught up in the Aeroad craze. I'm a master's cyclist approaching Cat 1 and ride 10k + miles per yr. The slight watt savings at 25mph+ makes the aggressive geo and harsh ride worth it to me, but only barely. If I was more focused on fast group rides / occasional centuries, I wouldn't bother with dedicated aero frames. My new Ultimate CFR is more fun on the hills and considerably more forgiving over bad tarmac. Just my 2 pennies.
Yeah, that’s why I ride an Endurace CF SL. But my event rides are centuries with a lot of climbing and often crappy farm roads. For shorter rides I’d be tempted by an Aeroad and people keep reporting that it’s pretty comfortable in it’s own right. But I haven’t had chance to ride one
Old 07-01-23, 06:50 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have 4 road bikes.They are all pretty light and I love each of them for their unique qualities. But recently I've been quite taken by a Canyon Aeroad. I love the paint scheme and aesthetics are important to me. It's something I can easily afford. Disc brakes and 11 sp Ultegra mechanical with a nice set of wheels that are tubeless ready,. So, it ticks all those boxes. Now, I am a 77 yr old recreational rider (obviously) who is challenged by elevation but can still motor on the flats. My question: is an aerobike really going to feel better or at least different, than a good road bike? Wondering if there are aerobike riders here who can comment?
I'm not quite as old as you are, but have a philosophy that you might consider. "if not now, when". You obviously enjoy riding, and enjoy having a variety of bikes. It makes perfect sense to get a bike that is different than what you have. You can afford it, and if not now, when? If it doesn't ring your bell, sell it or just keep it for the times you might enjoy riding it.

You're old I'm only 70 8-), you have the means, and don't have one. It seems like a simple answer to me!
Old 07-01-23, 06:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have 4 road bikes.They are all pretty light and I love each of them for their unique qualities. But recently I've been quite taken by a Canyon Aeroad. I love the paint scheme and aesthetics are important to me. It's something I can easily afford. Disc brakes and 11 sp Ultegra mechanical with a nice set of wheels that are tubeless ready,. So, it ticks all those boxes. Now, I am a 77 yr old recreational rider (obviously) who is challenged by elevation but can still motor on the flats. My question: is an aerobike really going to feel better or at least different, than a good road bike? Wondering if there are aerobike riders here who can comment?
You're old (I'm only 70 ), you have the means, and don't have one. It seems like a simple answer to me!

I'm not quite as old as you are, but have a philosophy that you might consider. "if not now, when". You obviously enjoy riding, and enjoy having a variety of bikes. It makes perfect sense to get a bike that is different than what you have. You can afford it, and if not now, when? If it doesn't ring your bell, no tragic loss. It won't cause you undue hardship if you decide to sell it for a loss and might actually give someone who doesn't have the means a chance to get it for a "like new", but used price. I bought a titanium electronic shifting gravel bike for exactly this reason when I had an old aluminum cross bike I was very happy with. Absolutely no regrets and I do enjoy it a bit more than the old one. No, not nearly enough to justify the price, but I can afford it and am running out of time to try cool bike stuff.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-01-23 at 07:01 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-02-23, 07:45 AM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
What year was your Roubaix? I have a 2021 Roubaix Expert that is super comfy (and pretty fast), but I bought it when I was ~35lbs heavier and my FTP was lower 🤣 I can ride for long periods in the drops and now feel limited to where I can't get the bars any lower because of the high stack.

Sorry but I must have missed what you replaced the Roubaix with. What are you riding now and how different is the fit?

Thanks!!
It was a 2017 model.

I've now got a Scott Foil and a new Cannondale SuperSix Evo. The fit is moderately different but not really that much, I'm just as comfortable on the supersix. The Foil is quite a bit more drop and really stiff. So on longer rides it's a bit less comfortable than the supersix but still more comfortable than the Roubaix.
Likes For OUGrad05: