Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huge bike auction at Copake, NY 10/21/23

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 04:03 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts

I follow auctions for various things, not bikes really, but noticed that Copake, a very well established and busy auction house between Hudson NY and the Massachusetts border, is having a sale later this month featuring bikes from a few large private collections. Lots of actual antique bikes, but items from a Nashville private museum include a bunch of 60s-80s racers.

https://www.copakeauction.com/auctio...on-2023-10-21/

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 10-02-23, 05:02 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
I bought a circa 1899/1900 Rambler double mens tandem at Copake’s first bike auction…sent a proxy bid in and “won” (my wife says you don’t “win” at auctions, you only pay more than others were willing to pay).
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 10-02-23, 05:17 PM
Piervinc

Bikes: 2002 Cannondale R2000, 1984 Basso Gap, Surly Crosscheck and LHT, an unidentified road bike that was the subject of some C&V forum speculation, and some mountain bike or other

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
A few nice bikes in there. From a museum collection so likely little used as of late. Careful on the shipping costs. They can double the cost of your n+1.
Old 10-02-23, 06:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
There was much criticism of how they handled the Covid delayed auction when it finally happened and the treatment of the bikes afterward.
dreadful.
‘if one can be there in person and avoid much of the risk, might be good.
‘just major collections it appears this year, maybe word among the small qty owners got around.

the hirondelle is interesting, pedal forward, go normal, pedal backward, smaller gear.
I like the repainted Bobet. But not that much, winning bid, the auction premium, cost to co-ordinate pack and ship by others, the risk with that.
‘the comment about those fees adding up fast is correct.
Old 10-02-23, 06:33 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 663 Posts
The argument I heard was; they don’t know how to pack a bike, remove pedals, rotate handlebars, etc….

they toss a whole bike in a reefer box and fill w styrofoam peantus and charge $400 for shipping.

but, if one or more of us were there….

plus, back in the day, they held a swap meet outside prior.

one more thing. I don’t think they know how to measure a frame.
Old 10-03-23, 09:27 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
FYI - I mentioned on another thread they do provide an email and phone # for their outside shipper, so you could make contact in advance and see if it is reasonable/feasible
Old 10-03-23, 10:54 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
oh man, there's some beauts in there a feller could ride.
Old 10-03-23, 11:17 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Robvolz
The argument I heard was; they don’t know how to pack a bike, remove pedals, rotate handlebars, etc….

they toss a whole bike in a reefer box and fill w styrofoam peantus and charge $400 for shipping.

but, if one or more of us were there….

one more thing. I don’t think they know how to measure a frame.
in the Covid era auction, there were a few potential facilitators, shippers. Kopake was just handing the goods over to the assignee, as the entire auction was remote, it was a huge stressor, and kind of anticipated, bikes left over a month were to be charged storage. Lining up a facilitator, shipper prior for an estimate is probably a capital idea.
Old 10-04-23, 06:57 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,556 Times in 1,411 Posts
That 3Rensho with the chain drooping off for the glamour shot is the energy that you don't want to see if buying a high-end or rare collectible bicycle from somewhere.

Old 10-04-23, 07:51 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Swap meet is back on the menu this year, per the web site.
Old 10-04-23, 09:40 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
That 3Rensho with the chain drooping off for the glamour shot is the energy that you don't want to see if buying a high-end or rare collectible bicycle from somewhere.
ya’ know, I really do not know who to assign responsibility for the images too. A half hearted effort I think.
Old 10-04-23, 09:47 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
ya’ know, I really do not know who to assign responsibility for the images too. A half hearted effort I think.
I thought the same exact thing. Looks like they took photos with a cell phone - and a cheap one, at that.
Somebody placing a remote bid ends up really rolling the dice. People want to see sharp closeups, too.
Their laziness ultimately cost them $.
Old 10-05-23, 01:55 AM
oldbikeguy62

Bikes: Raleigh sports, bickerton portable, Birdy mk1, Vanmoof #5, Alex Moulton AM14, Sunbeam gentleman’s sports

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
cool, I'll check it out
Old 10-05-23, 04:50 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Note: I have no more connection to the Copake Auction than any other attendee.

I have been to a number of Copake Auctions( and the swap meet the day before) and
have also been an absentee bidder. a number of times.

Copake Auction has moved some very notable collections of bicycle stuff over the years. In speaking with Seth at
my last visit, he said that is it is getting harder to find the really large collection of mixed stuff anymore.
The result is the need to build a saleable collection from a variety of sources. It takes more time and energy.

In the category I collect, Copake has offered me a number of great buying opportunities
over the years, including this one-2023(well over 75 lots of interest to me)..

I have been active in and around the bicycle industry for 50 years, and I am often
amazed at not only the true antique and vintage stuff, but things contemporary to my time
in the industry things that I have never seen before at the various auctions I have attended.

Some pretty rare things sold. I have won and also lost bids, but never felt cheated or that anything
was forcing up my bid except the action of the market. In a word - legit.

Plus side: On site, the event is entertaining. Mike and Seth are pros, and actually know a quite a bit about the category.
The work the crowd and are able to read the tone of the live bidding group.
The products are all available to preview the day before, during the swap.
Even with a large number of smaller lots, it flows pretty smoothly.

Minus(es):
To visit, Copake, NY is a PITA to get to.

You are traveling very old roads through the land of Washington Irving and the " Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
Small highways and fun to drive(this year I will take my little car with three pedals).

One year, I had a small truck that I had to reroute (very close to the destination +over 20 miles) because the
road routed through a stagecoach size tunnel(ok, maybe slightly bigger), not noted on GPS or printed map I had..

Swap meet is good fun. Great people, well attended and free to attend (was $25 to display)
Except that you are in a working sheep pen, and all that that entails - like walking through what sheep dooo.

Many vendors are regulars and a few new ones as well.
Huge variety of stuff - vendors local on the east coast seem to finds lots of new/old stuff to sell every year.

Biggest gripe is their shipping. Very limited in their offerings in this area.

My bad experience was with their" friendly " ooops affiliate gouged me by shipping me equivalent of 3
large boxes(OS in their lingo) of packing for some very non-fragile items I bought.
$470 bill for their services and shipping
NOTE: The appropriate boxes could have shipped with normal packing without going oversize.
( I checked- efficient shipping would have cost $184 plus packing service)

In the defense of Copake, bicycles are a specialty pack.
Using the material a modern bicycle comes in the reverse process can work, but shipping through
the common methods really requires a great deal more reinforcement. Shippers are brutal!
Bicycles are usually at the very upper size limit of their automated package handling machines.

Sometime the value justifies constructing a shipping crate and shipping LTL(less than truckload).

In other words, it really does take someone who knows to properly pack a bike.
Especially some of the very valuable stuff that comes through Copake.
They just don't have that person on staff.

There are a local couple people who offer packing services, but they are limited.
Am surprised that a full service auction house would not offer/ contract with a pro shipping partner.
Seems like there would be enough business.
(Absolutely will not use that local affiliate to a national again - would rather not bid!).

(Check out the Copake threads on the Classic antique bike exchange CABE website).
October 2023 Copake Swap Meet | Swap Meets, Events, Rides | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)

Good event to attend in person. Great people, interesting old venue and the atmosphere can
be pretty interesting as well. On site, buyers premium is 20% and online, I think, is 25%.

On line, a handful of ways to watch happening on items bids. (Wonder if they would every stream the event?)

Catalogue is visible right now,
31st Annual Bicycle Auction, 2023-10-21 – COPAKE AUCTION

Likely headed out again this year(from Minnesota).
Hope to add to my collection of

rusty
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 10-06-23, 04:12 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
That blue Motobecane C-T looks interesting.
Old 10-07-23, 04:25 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
HOW TO SNEAK IT IN... "Stumble" upon the auction! Plan a trip to Hudson, N.Y. Believe it or not, it was a major whaling port 200 years ago. Up there with New Bedford, MA! President Martin Van Buren's home in Kinderhook is nearby, as well as Oleon. It was Frédéric Church's place (Hudson River School of painting). Plenty to see around there! Get snacks and groceries at the Hanaford's Supermarket if you want to save money to have more money for bike purchases. Hudson eateries can be pricey. Then, while taking a break from sightseeing, "stumble" across this thread and "add" it to your itinerary. Pout and look ill and depressed if you run into resistance!

Last edited by cycleheimer; 10-07-23 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 10-07-23, 04:44 AM
oldbikeguy62

Bikes: Raleigh sports, bickerton portable, Birdy mk1, Vanmoof #5, Alex Moulton AM14, Sunbeam gentleman’s sports

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I bought a chair from NY and it cost the same amount to ship to Australia - $1000