Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What scares me about Canyon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 09:50 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts

I've had my 2023 Endurace SLX for about 4 months. I couldn't be happier with the bike. The whole process of buying it, communication with Canyon etc was excellent.

What scares me is the lack of accessories and spare/replacement parts that are available for my bike. Fortunately I haven't been in the position where a critical part needs replacing but... if I was to develope a crack or defect in my 1 piece cockpit/handlebar setup they don't have any available in the USA. I could not get a replacment derailleur hanger if I needed one. Here in the US none of the seatposts are avaialbe, but in France I can take my pick. There's just a variety of parts than can't be obtained here in the US. If you go to any of their European sites you can have your pick of the litter. Here in the US the best you can expect is "Coming Soon".
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 01-17-24, 10:04 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I've had my 2023 Endurace SLX for about 4 months. I couldn't be happier with the bike. The whole process of buying it, communication with Canyon etc was excellent.

What scares me is the lack of accessories and spare/replacement parts that are available for my bike. Fortunately I haven't been in the position where a critical part needs replacing but... if I was to develope a crack or defect in my 1 piece cockpit/handlebar setup they don't have any available in the USA. I could not get a replacment derailleur hanger if I needed one. Here in the US none of the seatposts are avaialbe, but in France I can take my pick. There's just a variety of parts than can't be obtained here in the US. If you go to any of their European sites you can have your pick of the litter. Here in the US the best you can expect is "Coming Soon".
yup and many parts are specific to Canyon. Probably fine if you live in Europe but in the US not so great. I needed a top cap for my stem and not available....I spent over an hour on the phone with Canyon support and they told me to contact ACROS he supplies the headsets and ACROS was very quick with a reply.....we don't supply that part you need to contact Canyon............I want a spare rear derailleur hanger and not available in the US and has not been available for 7 months it just says coming soon. I wanted a longer stem nope not from Canyon....longest they sell in the US is 100mm and in europe you can get 120mm...I have found if you email Canyon it says you will hear back shortly and I have never gotten a response back answering my question. they only response back is a "how did we do?" I also like my bike but if I had to do it over would get a bike actually sold in a bike shop. I am on a Canyon forum and sure a lot of cracked frames and if that happens I doubt I will get taken care of.
Old 01-17-24, 10:05 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
It's definitely something to consider anytime you're planning on purchasing a bike. Proprietary parts may be available, maybe not. What about in 5 years? If you can't get a replacement derailleur hanger, seat post clamp, or other minor part it pretty much means you have to get a new bike, or at least a new frame and then swap over everything you can.
Old 01-17-24, 10:08 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts

I don't see any problem here. I have a Rohloff equipped belt drive bicycle. When I need parts and they aren't available in the USA, I order them from Germany. I wanted the lefty Rohloff shifter a few years ago and nobody had it in stock here. I made an order with two sets of tires, the Rohloff lefty shifter and an extra lefty grip. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I sometimes order from England also. As long as you don't order enough parts to run a business, exceed 800 dollars very often than customs lets it through without any extra costs.
Old 01-17-24, 10:12 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Rick
I don't see any problem here. I have a Rohloff equipped belt drive bicycle. When I need parts and they aren't available in the USA, I order them from Germany. I wanted the lefty Rohloff shifter a few years ago and nobody had it in stock here. I made an order with two sets of tires, the Rohloff lefty shifter and an extra lefty grip. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I sometimes order from England also. As long as you don't order enough parts to run a business, exceed 800 dollars very often than customs lets it through without any extra costs.
yea shipping on $19.95 hanger is $199..... I have tried to order from other markets from Canyon and shipping is insane....
Old 01-17-24, 10:14 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, I've had my Endurace SLX Red Etap since 2018 - and it's been absolutely SUPERB. Great value, no issues.

I guess if I needed something I'd ask a buddy in Europe to get it for me - or heck been long enough that I could make a run at convincing SWMBO that I need a new bike, right???
Old 01-17-24, 10:39 AM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
yea shipping on $19.95 hanger is $199..... I have tried to order from other markets from Canyon and shipping is insane....
Yes $220.00 is insane for a derailleur hanger but it’s cheaper than a whole new bike.
Old 01-17-24, 10:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yeah, Canyon in the US is quite the case study in risk, from a consumer side and brand side.

- Canyon US options are often limited compared to Europe. Its been so long that it is no longer excusable by saying 'well they are just getting started here' and it is clearly intentional.
- Canyon US has had incredible deals on various bikes over the last 4 years, even when prices were skyrocketing, there were some Canyon US bikes that were priced at a level that would have been a good deal pre-pandemic.
- Canyon US consistently has little to no convenient options for customizing fit or replacing damaged proprietary components.
- Canyon US inventory is constantly feast of famine. Nothing on the large side of things then suddenly a glut of larger bikes. Nothing on the small side of things, then suddenly a glut of smaller bikes, but only in some models. Wash rinse repeat. Inventory smoothing doesnt seem to exist in the US.
- Canyon as an overall brand loves to design and market features that are cool looking, but limit user fit and cost a lot to change, even in Europe.

Its fascinating- consumers have to weigh risk vs reward on their end. Great pricing vs questionable fit. Great pricing vs limited replacement options. Despite continued complaints about lack of inventory and lack of fit options, US Canyon bikes keep selling so clearly the pricing outweighs risk for enough people to not motivate Canyon to change.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-17-24, 10:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
Yeah, I've had my Endurace SLX Red Etap since 2018 - and it's been absolutely SUPERB. Great value, no issues.

I guess if I needed something I'd ask a buddy in Europe to get it for me - or heck been long enough that I could make a run at convincing SWMBO that I need a new bike, right???
TransAtlantic air fare might be cheaper than a new bike. Just sayin'...

I'm sure this is a personal decision, but when do the disadvantages of proprietary parts outweigh the convenience and short-term savings of buy a complete bike?
Old 01-17-24, 11:10 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by pdlamb
TransAtlantic air fare might be cheaper than a new bike. Just sayin'...

I'm sure this is a personal decision, but when do the disadvantages of proprietary parts outweigh the convenience and short-term savings of buy a complete bike?
for me it was as soon as I needed a seemingly common part. I have one Canyon and I like it a lot but I won't get a second one. I have already forgotten about the $600-700 I saved but the bad taste of not being able to source what should be common replacement parts still lingers....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-17-24, 11:14 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
This is one of the few reasons why i went with Trek.
Old 01-17-24, 01:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Submitted without comment

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-17-24, 02:19 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I am starting to shy away from bikes with proprietary parts for that exact reason (took me almost a year to find a setback D-Fuse seatpost, and I paid MSRP to get a Giant stem that was compatible with the weird faceplate braking system). If others vote with their dollars to favor bikes that use universal parts, they will be made available. If everyone buys specialty stuff, you'll just have to deal with that just like owning a car. Speaking of cars, perhaps we need a law requiring manufacturers to offer replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years?
Old 01-17-24, 02:21 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Pdlamb has, as usual, an excellent suggestion, a trip to Europe!
Go, cycle famous climbs, Paris-Brest-Paris, historic river valleys, what ever suits your fancy. All the while, buying up used Canyons and some parts. Make friends (Amies) with a local bike shop, et voila! You can pay for the trip selling the used parts and make a modest profit as a middle man importing others via your new friend.
Old 01-17-24, 02:36 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
And I thought my Rohloff spares were expensive. I order spares such as tires, cables etc at the same time I order Rohloff specific parts. The shipping Isn't a problem this way.
Old 01-17-24, 03:22 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by genejockey

i need this one
Old 01-17-24, 03:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Facts have no place in a thread like this!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-17-24, 03:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
If only someone would invent a universal derailleur hanger.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-17-24, 03:53 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If only someone would invent a universal derailleur hanger.
Interesting that Canyon is a European "manufacturer" when us 'murkans depended on Europe to mandate USB-C charger interfaces for Apple products.
Old 01-17-24, 04:58 PM
TakingMyTime

That wasn't there a week ago. When I'm on Canyon's site and "My Garage" and search for bike specific parts availability it wasn't there. Thanks!
Old 01-17-24, 04:59 PM
TakingMyTime

I have a brother that frequently stays in Paris. I've considered having them sent to his apartment and then having him bring them back into the country.

Regardless, spare parts in the US with Canyon is a hit and miss proposition.
Old 01-17-24, 06:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Canyon may be taking this to an extreme, but more and more bikes come with proprietary seat posts, steerers, headset spacers, stems, etc. Given that I am so fiddly with my position when a bike is new, I wish more bikes that are not intended for the sharp end of races come with standardized versions of these components. I am perfectly happy with cables and hoses running directly from handlebar to downtube, bypassing the stem, steerer, headset, and headtube.
Old 01-17-24, 07:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Interesting that Canyon is a European "manufacturer" when us 'murkans depended on Europe to mandate USB-C charger interfaces for Apple products.
Even though I am not a SRAM-fan, I think ultimately this is for the greater good. The fact that there were no standards is crazy. (I am an Apple fanboi, but their connectors and dongles are a low-point. I have a box of various Apple dongles dating back to firewire and VGA. It is just a pile of e-waste now.)
Old 01-17-24, 07:40 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
It's this type of thing that has me buying bikes from my local Trek dealer. If I really needed it, they would pull something off a stock bike to get me going. I don't think that has happened, but they have certainly opened a box to pull something out that otherwise would take a long time to get.

The potential for a delay in supply is one reason I make sure to order a derailleur hanger when I get a new bike. Of course, there are plenty of other custom parts, but a hanger is one of those things designed to fail and may need to be replaced and is often very specific to a given bike.

In general, I'm more then willing to pay a premium to get better service and support. For me it's just not worth getting a good deal, if it means taking a risk if something goes south.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 01-17-24, 07:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I do pay attention to purchasing bikes that have a minimal amount of proprietary parts, like odd shapes and sized seatposts and I always want a BSA bottom bracket. As well Canyons use of one part stem/bars is just dumb, if hot looking. But they don’t give you many options, so maybe don’t go that route. If you have the one piece thing, you can change it to a standard separate bar and stem if needed. I have a Chinese frame, I don’t have a spare derailer hanger, I probably should but the bike is 8 years old already and I’ve never needed it so it’s way down on the list of things to worry about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.