Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions on these two

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Opinions on these two

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 03:33 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Opinions on these two

I've sold my old bianchi, sad to see it go and it sold before I was ready. It was to big for me so now its gone. So I've been eyeballing a trek domane al3 and a fuji sportif 2.1 at my local shops for quite some tome. The trek dealer is upscale and seems to be more retail oriented the fuji dealer is an everyday guy shop that works on whatever you bring him. Great mechanic btw. I know I would get good support from the fuji dealer, the jury is still out on the trek store. I can also get a pretty good deal on the fuji. Almost $200.00 difference between the two and they appear to be specced very similarly. Both are endurance frames. Which would you guys go with? I always wanted a trek, in the back of my mind I wonder if I'll regret not getting it.
Old 07-15-18, 04:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Well ... logic is meaningless in these cases.

Buy the Trek, I guess.

I own a Fuji Sportif and really like it ... but I cannot compare it to the Trek, because i don't own one and never have.

But ... a Lot of people here will say, "Shop for the bike shop, and then get whatever bike they sell." Riders with years of experience know that unless you do your own work, a good relationship with a local shop is invaluable. The shop will keep your bike running well, suggest local events, offer possible upgrades, point out potential problems ... and often do small repairs quickly and for little cost, to get you out the door and back on the road, where another shop might make you wait to weeks for a two-minute repair.

However ... you already have a good relationship with a shop, the guy who sells Fujis ... and he will work on whatever you bring him, right?

I'd go to the Fuji guy and explain the situation. You will want his good will ... trust me ... and all the rest of the people who have been to a lot of shops ... unless you can fix everything yourself, sooner or later you will need to go to a shop, and a shop who doesn't care will make everything less pleasant. Maybe the Fuji guy will understand ... after all, from what I hear, shops don't make that much on sales, their profits mostly comes from accessories and repairs.

On another hand ... what do you like about the Trek? Maybe write to Trek and ask them to send you a set of replacement decals. Once your bike says "Trek" on the down tube, no one but you will know.

I have a Sportif 1.0 with 105 and Spyre mechanical discs. I really like it (and in fact might go riding on it in a short while, if I recover a little more from my morning ride.) I put some lighter wheels on ti and it felt a lot sprightlier ... and I added a longer seat post and different saddle. Other than that it is box stock---about the only bike I own I haven't altered significantly. t is just a good ride as it is.

Try to test-ride both. if one really speaks to you, that's the one. if not ... try to picture sitting with a couple friends after a ride, chatting about your bikes ... would you rather describe one or the other?

Fact is ... both bikes are close enough to being identical that probably the paint job matter more than anything else. Al frame, carbon fork, good brakes and solid drive trains ... the real differences are intangible.

if you have lusted after a Trek for years ... ask your self why. If the reasons seem valid ... or if you can't figure it out ... you might have to buy the Trek just so you can sleep at night.

By the way .. i bought my Sportif on a Triple Points weekend. I spent $30 joining Team Performance or whatever, and got $300 worth of free merchandise with my Sportif.
Old 07-15-18, 07:10 PM
Weakbikr

Dont really know why I've wanted a trek so bad to be honest. The paint on the fuji is to me much better looking. I'm just not quite as familiar with them as I am trek. Now the fuji shop is great. I have faith that he will do me right. He already has in the past. Part of why I really want to give him my business.
Old 07-16-18, 01:41 PM
Weakbikr

Went back by the shop today to eyeball the fuji again. I think I'm gonna go with that one. I gotta a few more dollars to put together but it wont take long. I just feel better about that one. The shop has been great to me, I trust the guy and he's a great mechanic. I know he will take care of me in the future. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-16-18, 04:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Now that you've decided, I"m not sure why people say "I've always wanted a Trek"... I mean, they're like Fords or Chevys around here... they're everywhere. Enjoy your Fuji, I'm sure it will serve you well (as would the Trek)
Old 07-16-18, 06:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
To hell with which shop you like more.

buy the bike you like more. Get the one that fits you best and you like the most.

after you do that, then take it to the shop you like the most.
a shop doesnt care what brand bike you bring them- they charge the same regardless of brand on the downtube.

buying a bike based on the shop has never made sense to me. It's cart before the horse in every way.
Old 07-16-18, 06:33 PM
CerveloJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't offer advice on the Fuji. I've never even ridden one. I recently test rode a few bikes and ended up putting a deposit on a Trek Domane SL5. For my needs (comfort, stability, bb strength), it was the best I tried. Another feature I like about Trek is their lifetime frame policy. That gives me confidence that they are very confident with their designs. As "mstateglfr" said though, go with the bike that is best for you and the one you really want, otherwise you may still want the other later.
Old 07-16-18, 07:59 PM
Weakbikr

I'm gonna ride both before I buy for sure. I can only imagine the geometry will be very close.
Old 07-16-18, 08:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
I'm gonna ride both before I buy for sure. I can only imagine the geometry will be very close.
try to ride each for more than a few blocks. Ride for 10mi. Or more!
geometry can feel great for 10min or even 30min, but perhaps differences appear after that between bikes.

have fun with it
Old 07-16-18, 09:16 PM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
geometry can feel great for 10min or even 30min, but perhaps differences appear after that between bikes.

have fun with it
will do.
Old 07-18-18, 07:15 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
have fun with it
I agree with this BUT this is really hard to get right on test rides because of things like stem length. I'm not a fan of Trek so it's an easy call for me. They are good bikes I just see them everywhere. Fuji is just as good though. The fact that you stated you have always wanted a Trek makes me wonder if you won't regret it if you buy the Fuji. Buyers remorse sucks. Get the bike you like the most. You ride the bike, not the shop.
Old 07-20-18, 06:40 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Definitely buy the bike you like the most. Sounds silly, but if you like the look of your bike, you'll want to ride it, and if it's comfortable you'll get on it even more. Looks will only keep you on the bike short term. I've never owned either so I can't point you in one direction or the other. I agree with the advice of riding them for a few miles. On my last purchase, I was dead set on a new scott solace, I rode it, an orbea and got talked into riding a Bianchi. I bought the Bianchi that was a bit over budget and I'm glad I did it.
Old 07-20-18, 02:17 PM
Weakbikr

I've decided on the fuji, both are nice bikes. Same drivetrains. I like the looks of the fuji better. I should have it in a few weeks. Got a few more pennies to save. The fuji seems to fit me better.
Old 07-20-18, 03:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Post pics or risk the wrath of the BF deities..
Old 07-20-18, 06:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
You made the right choice, and in my estimation, the better choice. I have a friend that rides the Sportif frame and has enjoyed it over the past few years. He is an ex-racer and understands performance bikes, but needed a kinder body position. Enjoy the miles!