Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Considering winter commuting - need advise

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 07:38 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

I caught the commuting bug earlier this year and I am enjoying it every day, regardless of weather. I have actually begun to enjoy light rain. Now, as winter is closing in, I am becoming a bit depressed. I hate winter. I hate snow. I do not do outdoor winter activities of any kind. Now, I am considering if I may want to ride a bike in the snow? My commute is 2 miles via streets - no bike paths available. Sidewalks are typically not cleared entirely and I would be likely to encounter a few snowbanks blocking them along the way. All of this in a city that came in 2nd for the weather channel's toughest weather city in 2011. I am thinking winter commuting just may be crazy, but I am going to miss cycling enough to consider it. I do have access to an exercise bike at work, but that just seems wrong - pedaling and going nowhere.

Obviously I would need a beater bike that is set up for winter use, but is that something that can deal with tough winters? Should I just admit that I will need to start driving again?
Old 09-18-18, 07:52 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Snow sucks. But it's not always snowy. (Then again I'm not up near Erie. So maybe there it is)

There is a difference between 'It snowed last night" and "It showed last week" though. Then the roads are plowed and dry it's just like summer only colder. When the roads are slushy and covered it can be pretty not fun.

Some people love it. You seem like you'd hate it. (Not judging. I don't ride in snow either.)

But you don't have to do it every day. If it snows the night before, drive that day.
Old 09-18-18, 08:35 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
........Should I just admit that I will need to start driving again?
Maybe not. I think of winter riding as game in which "winning" is figuring out how to ride more days comfortably and safely. In my experience, if you start winter riding in clear/dry conditions, then gradually ratchet up to conditions with more precip, you get accustomed to the seasonal challenge and learn which gear is appropriate. For some the bike answer is a beater, for others it can be something quite different.

After years of all-winter riding, for me the critical elements are studded tires on the bike and wicking insulation layers and a breathable shell on the body. The key is to get out there and start dialing your own solutions.
Old 09-19-18, 06:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
It does take some getting used to, going from short sleeve and shorts to jacket and leg warmers to jacket with extra layer and tights to all full body coverage, including face and insulated boots, studs on tires. But it's a gradual process. You don't go from short sleeve and shorts to insulated boots and studs. You have the luxury of having a short commute of only two miles. At that distance i might even consider walking on days when it's too cold or too much snow. Studs on tires only will help you if you encounter ice. It does nothing on snow. Any old bike would work for such a short commute.
Old 09-19-18, 07:36 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I enjoy riding in fresh snow, up to a couple inches, where cars haven't driven yet. Once cars have been on a road, especially if it hasn't been plowed, it gets difficult. Most of the roads I ride get plowed pretty soon, so it's not a big deal for me, but there is a half mile or so that is difficult for a couple days after the snow. And that's not more than a few days in a whole winter.

I don't expect that information is of any use to you, of course.

I would suggest you plan to ride all winter, and make the appropriate preparations to do just that; and then make the decision on a day to day basis. I can't predict how it will go for you; but that's no reason to give up yet! I have no trouble biking throughout the winter, though by March I will be pretty tired of it.

Last edited by rhm; 09-21-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 07:53 AM
Theycallmegio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
if you have the right equipment I imagine you'll be just fine, especially with a short commute like that.

Personally I hate riding in ANY kind of rain, kudos to you. IDK how you do it. Riding in the snow is pretty fun. You kinda glide over softer, newer coats of snow. As it accumulates you'll need studded tires - you'll go almost anywhere with those.

I have a beater bike (older trek commuter) that I keep in the basements for when guests visit. I throw studded winter tires on it and commute through the winters in Chicago with relative ease. I think the trickiest part is figuring out how to dress. It gets to -10 below zero or worse at times here, so you have to be prepared. It's great fun though. I love showing up to work on my bike in the middle of a snow storm!
Old 09-19-18, 08:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I think I would hate driving in it more. Snow, ice, a bunch of commuters who aren't necessarily very skilled drivers ... I would set up a winter bike with whatever it needs for your climate, especially with a relatively short commute. Worst case, you have to get off and walk a mile or so.
Old 09-19-18, 09:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Theycallmegio
I think the trickiest part is figuring out how to dress!
+1
I have been a year-round commuter for decades, but only a snow rider since buying studded snow tires three winters ago.

Get a cheap 26" MTB (no need for suspension, although some say it helps with icy ruts.) Get a pair of studded tires; I bought Suomi/Nokian W106's. Pay attention to the recommended inflation for Dry/Ice/snow.

All the advice about wicking layers, etc.

Learn to under-dress. If you can stand to be a little chilly for 10-15 minutes, you will be the right kind of warm for the rest of the ride without overheating.

I carry an extra layer jersey, and an extra layer of pants (only needed once), and an extra layer of gloves (thin gloves to go inside my winter gloves).

Winter and snow riding is easier than people think. You will learn how to dress for different temps and conditions, and you will learn where your limits are. Mine is 10F and 3 inches of new snow (over that, my commute takes too long).

You will feel a real sense of accomplishment and your mental health will be better.

Be sue to check out the Winter Biking Forum for tips, but remember they're not necessarily commuters.

Old 09-19-18, 10:07 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
I've got the Schwalbe Winter studded tires to install on my Norco for my winter commutes here in Canada. Apart from the increased maintenance, you just have to be smart about dressing for the conditions so you don't overheat or freeze. This winter I'm finding some ski goggles to go with my cat ears (block wind) and under helmet cap. 2 miles is a nice and straight commute, even in winter - mine is about 6 miles. The studs work well on fresh snow and icy roads, but once cars have flattened the snow on unplowed roads it can be difficult. This winter I'll have a bus pass for the truly bad days (bus passes are subsidized by my employer to encourage taking public transport).

I find that cycling helps keep me going if the winter is particularly bitter. Also, since I started cycle commuting in winter, I have never gotten sick from the usual licking hands office bugs. It toughens you up. Just make sure you cover your face so the wind doesn't damage your skin.
Old 09-19-18, 07:02 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks. You have all been super positive about this idea. Now it's time to find a cheap used bike and start outfitting it for winter use. Craigslist & FB marketplace are my friends
Old 09-20-18, 09:20 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do it! My kids 11 & 14 have been winter cycling a few years now. I even found a studded 24" tire.

My three tips are:
  • Studded tires. I love the Schwalbe Ice Spikers.
  • Dress warm. If you're cold you make bad decisions.
  • Don't overheat. Ride slow and enjoy the ride.
The great part of winter cycling is that any precipitation is snow. Yes, I still dislike riding in the rain. Something I have to work on.
Old 09-20-18, 07:10 PM
sqwertl

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last winter was my first time bike commuting and it actually wasn't bad at all. I put some fenders on my old beater road bike and it was perfect, kept all of the slush and grime off of my legs and backside. There was no need for special tires or any of that stuff in my case, since I bike on city roads. I never did figure out a good solution to cold hands, opting to buy 40-packs of HotHands hand warmers and shoving a pair into the tips of my outer mittens before each ride. I am looking into battery-powered gloves at this point, 0 - 15 degrees fahrenheit is too cold to bike in without something substantial.
Old 09-21-18, 09:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I find I can build a tolerance for low temperatures. My tolerance varies from year to year, and if I put in an effort, I can push it. But I have not made a good relationship with snow. It depends a lot on how it lands and how the city handles it. In NYC, they plow it, and it ends up in huge clumps on the sides of the streets. There are too many textures from hard as a rock to super slippery. I tried studded tires, but they're for ice, not snow. Well, maybe they're good in hard-packed snow, but we don't end up with that because of plowing and salting. It might be better if temperatures were lower here, but we get a lot of changes keeping it slightly above and slightly below freezing. It's dangerous and harrowing for me.

Fortunately, there are some winters where the ground isn't covered every day. Some years we get little or no snow. A few years ago, we had a pattern where it stayed below freezing for almost two months, and the snow and dirt accumulated and stayed frozen, but that was unusual.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 11:36 PM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 12:50 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
One word: layers.

/thread.
Old 09-22-18, 06:03 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Thanks. You have all been super positive about this idea. Now it's time to find a cheap used bike and start outfitting it for winter use. Craigslist & FB marketplace are my friends
Cheap and used is OK as long as it's in good working condition...Winter is not a good time to skimp on quality, winter riding can be very challenging so make sure you get a good bike that's in good working condition, with good quality components. You don't want something that will break down and leave you stranded and makes things even more difficult.
Old 09-22-18, 07:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I caught the commuting bug earlier this year and I am enjoying it every day, regardless of weather. I have actually begun to enjoy light rain. Now, as winter is closing in, I am becoming a bit depressed. I hate winter. I hate snow. I do not do outdoor winter activities of any kind. Now, I am considering if I may want to ride a bike in the snow? My commute is 2 miles via streets - no bike paths available.
Props for riding in the rain. I'd encourage having a go at winter cycling. Also consider just plain walking. Because walking is a good option on days you don't feel like messing with a bicycle in the cold.
Old 09-22-18, 07:32 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
In NYC, they plow it, and it ends up in huge clumps on the sides of the streets. There are too many textures from hard as a rock to super slippery. I tried studded tires, but they're for ice, not snow. Well, maybe they're good in hard-packed snow, but we don't end up with that because of plowing and salting. It might be better if temperatures were lower here, but we get a lot of changes keeping it slightly above and slightly below freezing. It's dangerous and harrowing for me.
I'm trying to remember my winter trips to the city and what conditions were like. Most of my memories are of clear streets. Last winter I rode from Tribeca to Highbridge Park on Dec 3, and from Tribeca to Midtown on Feb 28. Never saw a lick of snow on either ride, but that could be down to luck of the draw on the weather.

It's hard for me to talk about snow conditions because they very so much. Skinny tires in the sort of driven through mushed up snow and slush found on not recently plowed roads are kind of terrible though. I favor wider tires up to a point. It's often the case on my winter rides that there is no ideal tire, and I just have to settle on some compromise. Rubber compound and tread pattern matter a lot, and a certain amount of width is needed for a tread pattern to be anything but decorative.
Old 09-22-18, 07:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Right. Conditions vary from day to day and from street to street. That's why preparation is so hard.

I've ridden a few times on slushy streets on Citi Bike. That is definitely an improvement. The bike is heavy, and the riding position is upright, and the tires are wide. Also, the drum brakes work well and are unaffected by weather.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-22-18, 08:19 AM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Take a few notes about what you wore and the temp/wind on each particular day, and whether you were too cold, too hot or just right. In short time, you'll be able to look at the weather and know what layers to wear. I add/subtract a layer about every 10 degrees and adjust for wind.
Old 09-22-18, 08:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

If your commute is mostly on the roads, then consider a bike with 700cc wheels with narrower winter tires,.. IME they roll better and are easier to ride through "traffic snow and slush", then a 26' wheels with wider tires. Narrower tires cut through, while wider tires just slide all over the place. Wider tires are only better if you're riding off road on frozen rutted hard pack snow along MUPS and off road trails.
Old 09-22-18, 04:45 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I admire anyone who is that intrepid, but just keep in mind that any emergency maneuvers or changes of directions are going to be expanded by at least a factor of 3.

The problem is not that you don't know that, but that motorist on the road are completely clueless to these cycling limitations. They're still going to drive the way they always do -- fast, (and with all the electronic gizmos to keep them safe).

You on the other hand, have only your wits and even if you have catlike reflexes, you can't change directions -- or make any sudden moves -- on a bike in the rain or snow.

If they cut you off better to just run into them. Otherwise, it will just be you alone splayed on the road as the motorist drive off completely oblivious to the carnage they've caused -- or anything else going on in the world around them. Simply stated, just be extra careful.
Old 09-22-18, 05:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL

The problem is not that you don't know that, but that motorist on the road are completely clueless to these cycling limitations. They're still going to drive the way they always do -- fast
Some of my commutes where I felt the safest were done during heavy snowstorms, before the roads were salted and plowed. Under those type of conditions traffic is almost at a standstill, bumper to bumper and drivers have no choice but to drive very slow. You may not believe this but sometimes a bike can actually be faster in winter then a car.
Old 09-22-18, 05:38 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also live in Erie and plan on taking my 1 mile commute thru the winter on my bike.

Studded tires, balaclava, and plenty of layers to play with is my plan.
Old 09-22-18, 06:22 PM
moses

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front and back lights
run them in flash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.