Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

45 Years Ago: June 1978 in Bicycling magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:41 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts

Articles/columns included in this post are:
QUESTION MAN
"Packing for a Tour"

The following articles from this issue were included in past posts:

BICYCLE WORKSHOP: Wheel Equipment II (Jow) Equipment/Product Review (1978) Wheels Revisited (second article)
"All About Freewheels" (Berto) https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...reewheels.html
ROAD TEST: KLEIN Team Super https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eam-super.html
"A Center of Craft" https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...us-design.html

Otherwise, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 06-14-23, 09:49 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Thankyou man! Such a treat to revisit these articles.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-14-23, 10:39 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 1,581 Posts
Cool!
Thanks for the link to the Berto article on freewheels. I'll have to read that.

Speaking of the late, great Frank Berto, has anyone ever put together an index of his articles?
I looked through my modest archive of Bicycling magazines, and only found three...

April 1978 - Ultimate City Bicycle

Jan/Feb 1980 - All About Rear Derailleurs

March 1982 - Todays Improved Freewheel Designs

It would be so nice to have an index to Bicycling articles. Jan Heine has done this for (Vintage) Bicycle Quarterly, and it's handy for looking stuff up. I've scanned a number of my old Rivendell Readers, and am creating an index to those articles. Again, it's been very useful when I knew/thought that an article existed, but had no desire to thumb through 20 or 40 issues to find out which one.

Of course, this can be a fair bit of work. When I was scanning Riv Reader articles, I was already typing the names of the articles, so it wasn't much more work to put it into a spreadsheet, and sometimes include the author's name.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-14-23, 11:52 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Seeing the 35mm camera, lenses, and film in the handlebar bag makes me wonder if the current trend toward front panniers was driven by the move to digital cameras and/or smart phones. The camera equipment in the picture weighs several pounds, so you would need to move some weight forward to balance the load when you switched to a 4 ounce smart phone.
Old 06-16-23, 04:02 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
I love the '70s-style touring set-up on page 53! It's what I was aiming at with my commuter. There is so many great little details within the photos and ads you find in these magazines! Thanks for sharing!

Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 06-16-23, 09:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The Columbus advert reminded me about the Ultima Group, an attempt to have an Italian bicycle component cartel. It immediately killed off the private distributors for a time, the added layer of mark up was not tolerated. It collapsed, took a while. Wrong timing, post bike boom and into the pre mtb lull. When mtbs took off, they were not using Italian components.
Old 06-17-23, 03:56 AM
rider19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Speaking of the late, great Frank Berto, has anyone ever put together an index of his articles?
I looked through my modest archive of Bicycling magazines, and only found three...
Bicycling magazine is indexed in various academic databases.

I exported the records of Berto's articles from three different databases. Can't post attachments, so I'm sending them through the link below.

swisstransfer.com/d/9960646c-0b46-4903-a935-a3436de71f5d
Old 06-17-23, 04:45 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Man, I wish Bicycling was as good as in the old days. Today it s............! I miss the old days when you waited for the mailman to bring you the latest copy of Bicycling. The whole world would seem to stop while you spent hours reading the latest copy. How about you?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 06-17-23, 09:28 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Man, I wish Bicycling was as good as in the old days. Today it s............! I miss the old days when you waited for the mailman to bring you the latest copy of Bicycling. The whole world would seem to stop while you spent hours reading the latest copy. How about you?
You speak the truth!
Old 06-17-23, 02:02 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by rider19
Bicycling magazine is indexed in various academic databases.

I exported the records of Berto's articles from three different databases. Can't post attachments, so I'm sending them through the link below.

swisstransfer.com/d/9960646c-0b46-4903-a935-a3436de71f5d
Very cool! Thanks!

Back when I was in college, some magazines were archived on microfiche and could be viewed. I assume that this stuff has been digitized?? Anyone know whether any of these are available?
There were so many bound collections of magazines that I used to peruse in college when I should have been studying. There were aviation magazines dating back to the beginnings of the industry, and were fascinating to browse through. I can't imagine that there are sufficient resources to get them all scanned and available to the public (or even the college's students).

Looking through the index of Frank Berto articles, I see that the December 1981 issue of Bicycling has an article on the Story of Avocet.
Anyone have this scanned and handy?? (it doesn't hurt to ask)

Avocet was quite the ground breaking company. I've still got a few of their bike computers in use on my bikes. Not as reliable as a Cateye, but plenty of features and effective!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-17-23, 03:34 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I learned a lot from the 1980-1984 issues - great information. Later in my career, I got to meet and know some of the authors. Still friends with at least one of them.

As an LAB Life Member, one item included is/was a subscription to Bicycling Magazine. After Hearst bought the magazine, it almost immediately became unreadable. I actually took the step of cancelling the free subscription (no need to print, process or mail something I don't want).
Old 06-17-23, 03:40 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 834 Posts
Avocet was quite the ground breaking company. I've still got a few of their bike computers in use on my bikes.
Steve in Peoria
I have been using Avocet 45s continuously since the mid-1990s. I like the cadence readout as a reminder / verification. I have one head in use, and mounts on each of the bikes. I have a measured calibration course I use to set the circumference for each bike, and the RWGPS readings are usually dead-on or within 0.1 mile. I have several backup 45s carefully stored away - they're getting very hard to find, even at swaps.

I just put a set of barely-used Avocet Cross K 1.25s on my primary bike. The sidewalls look OK - we'll see how well they hold up. Last time I tested a Cross K recently, the tread started coming off in chunks after less than 500 miles.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-17-23, 03:58 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts
Looking through the index of Frank Berto articles, I see that the December 1981 issue of Bicycling has an article on the Story of Avocet.
Anyone have this scanned and handy?? (it doesn't hurt to ask)
Steve in Peoria
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-magazine.html
Yep, and you even "Liked" it.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 06-17-23, 04:22 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Thanks again for that!

I was reading it and thinking.. "but where's the Avocet bike computer?", and then realized it was just a bit before it was introduced.

Going down the thread, I looked at my post and I had mentioned that detail. Glad to know that my priorities really haven't changed much, even if I forgot about the thread.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-14-23, 03:36 AM
rider19

There were aviation magazines dating back to the beginnings of the industry, and were fascinating to browse through.
A little late, but since you mentioned aviation magazines, I thought you may like these articles:
www.swisstransfer.com/d/51e6ec26-cdbb-4bfc-a404-3c89c4c4d324
Old 11-14-23, 04:27 AM
rider19

There were aviation magazines dating back to the beginnings of the industry, and were fascinating to browse through.
A little late, but since you mentioned aviation magazines, I thought you may like these articles:

swisstransfer.com/d/51e6ec26-cdbb-4bfc-a404-3c89c4c4d324
Old 11-14-23, 05:09 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Funny thing, I understand (this is what I heard.) that Bicycling is in deep s....Low readership and few and fewer are reading print magazine. Sad. I read Bicycling when it was great. The world stopped when I got it. (So it seemed.) How about you?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 11-14-23, 03:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by rider19

swisstransfer.com/d/51e6ec26-cdbb-4bfc-a404-3c89c4c4d324
thanks!
I'm partway through them, but it's always interesting to review how these sorts of technologies evolve. So many people contribute to solving parts of the overall puzzle, and it becomes difficult to make a simple statement like "Bob Smith invented the <insert gadget here>".
The Wright brothers did make a big step in figuring out a decent way of controlling the aircraft's pitch, roll, and yaw, as well as just applying good research techniques to finding answers.

It is nice that their success was partly due to their understanding of the principles of the bicycle. Even the United States Air Force recognizes this, since their museum starts with the Wright brothers and other earlier pioneers of aviation. One of the Wright's "Van Cleve" bikes is displayed near the first Wright military aircraft. I should note that the museum is located at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, where the Wrights lived.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: