Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I buy lightly used Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 TLR wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 02:37 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I recently bought a Canyon Endurace CF 7 Di2, which has the stock Fulcrum 900 DB wheels (1950g). Now I saved a lot of money by going with Canyon rather than buying a Specialized/Trek/etc (note I'm also battling seatpost creaking issues but that's another matter in itself that I think I've maybe...just maybe resolved).

In any case, I'm riding about 100 miles a week. One solo ride of 50-60 miles/week. Two group rides a week that are go hard, go fast for an hour. Those go-hard/go-fast rides are at an average speed of 18mph or so. My riding companions rave about their carbon wheels.

I have an opportunity to buy some Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51s for $900. Seller says they've been ridden ~500 miles. No tires/rotors included so I would move those over from the OEM Fulcrums.

Should I go for it? Note I weight 205 lbs if that is any indication of my susceptibility to crosswind.

Last edited by ppg677; 09-19-23 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-19-23, 02:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Weight wise I don't think you get much of a difference. Aero wise you probably will get a difference. So maybe it depends more on how far and fast you tend to ride. 18 mph average, assuming it's hilly or rolling terrain isn't shabby though if you aren't the one slowing the group. Carbon to me is more about how well you feel the road under you for handling. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-19-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-19-23, 02:47 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Weight wise I don't think you get much of a difference. Aero wise you probably will get a difference. So maybe it depends more on how far and fast you tend to ride. Carbon to me is more about how well you feel the road under you for handling. Maybe I'm wrong.
I would shave off about 325grams. But yeah, I think the advantage would be in feel and aero.

My riding buddies ride shallower carbon wheels and claim they like how it feels to accelerate.

I guess the question is-- if I want to improve the riding experience of my bike, should I get shallow/light carbon wheels or something more aero like the 51s. Or just not bother. I don't know.

I do weekend rides of 50+ miles at ~15mph and ~3k elevation gain. Then a couple go-fast/go-hard rides of one hour, 18mph average. Where I'm often battling to not get dropped...
Old 09-19-23, 02:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Two rides a week? You need to add a third in there somewhere. A solo ride or maybe with one or two other friends that you can tailor segments to working on your own individual needs for improvement. Just doing group rides will always have you trying to keep up and no time for working on the parts you do poor at.

90 minutes more would probably do wonders.
Old 09-19-23, 03:01 PM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Two rides a week? You need to add a third in there somewhere. A solo ride or maybe with one or two other friends that you can tailor segments to working on your own individual needs for improvement. Just doing group rides will always have you trying to keep up and no time for working on the parts you do poor at.

90 minutes more would probably do wonders.
Ooops...I'm currently done one weekend ride of 30-60 miles that is me and my spouse. (recently has been 50-60 miles...we're going to attempt a century ride this Sunday). And then two group go-fast/go-hard rides a week (18 miles each). After riding 70 miles at 15mph, I'm cooked!

Last edited by ppg677; 09-19-23 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-19-23, 05:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
I would shave off about 325grams. But yeah, I think the advantage would be in feel and aero.

My riding buddies ride shallower carbon wheels and claim they like how it feels to accelerate.

I guess the question is-- if I want to improve the riding experience of my bike, should I get shallow/light carbon wheels or something more aero like the 51s. Or just not bother. I don't know.

I do weekend rides of 50+ miles at ~15mph and ~3k elevation gain. Then a couple go-fast/go-hard rides of one hour, 18mph average. Where I'm often battling to not get dropped...
First, these are pretty good wheels: Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 TLR Wheelset Review - FeedTheHabit.com.

Second, a 325 g difference is noticeable, especially when accelerating from standstill or slow speeds.

The conventional wisdom is that aero is generally more important than very low weight unless you are climbing steep slopes all the time. These wheels are nice and wide (23 mm internal, 31 mm external) and would match well with 28 mm tires for a more aero profile and increased comfort compared to the Fulcrum 900DB, which has an internal width of 19 mm. And 1,615 g is not so heavy that it would really hurt you on climbs. That said, you may still get dropped, but that's OK, as long as you have nice wheels.
Old 09-19-23, 06:44 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Those Bontragers seem to be a solid choice. I only weigh 148 lbs and ride 50/56mm F/R Light Bicycle wheels with similar internal and external rim widths that only give me crosswind trouble when bombing down an exposed bridge across Lake Washington. You will definitely notice the speed difference. Slap a 28mm tire in the front, wider in the rear if you want more comfort, and you'll be cruising.
Old 09-20-23, 05:33 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
If you don't mind spending the money, these are great wheels. I've been running them for a couple years and they're bombproof.

As mentioned, they're reasonably wide and pretty light. They're super easy to set up tubelestubelessve been rock solid (I'm 230 lbs and have been heavier on them).
Old 09-20-23, 07:26 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
you could throw on a set of 28mm tires like Pirelli p zero's and some aerothan tpu tubes and shave over 200 grams and see how that feels. I recently got endurace cf8 and it eats up the miles at a decent solo clip. I have done a few 100+ miles and a lot of 75-80 mile rides. For a while I was thinking I needed new wheels but seems like the fulcrums are pretty bomb proof and cruising at 18-20mph not sure I would really feel a difference. I am not doing sprints so at just a steady speed not sure I would feel much of difference. my rear tire is almost done so I will be putting some lighter tires and tubes in shortly.
Old 09-20-23, 09:20 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I have these wheels on my Domane and they are really nice as I ride in a lot of wind where I am at, I've never been pushed or pulled from wind with them. I also like that the rear hub is fairly quiet compare to others, as I am not a huge fan of the really noisy hubs. I have tried a few versions of TLR and Non-TLR tires on them and they are so simple to mount by hand and seat with just a floor pump. I currently run the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR in 30's on them. Have also used the 28's, but found like like the 30's better. Ride is very comfy, pretty darn stiff, and as a rider that floats between 195 and 210, I do not get any massive amounts of flex when I put some power into them. I also use the Bontrager tubeless rim strip versus taping them and it has been fantastic. I also have a set of the Aeolus Pro 5's on my rim brake bike since I liked the Pro 51's so well.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 09-20-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 09:55 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
700$ for a set of brand new HUNT wheels. I'd consider that instead. The 30mm are 1300g I believe.
Old 09-20-23, 01:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
700$ for a set of brand new HUNT wheels. I'd consider that instead. The 30mm are 1300g I believe.
Are you talking about these? https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...eep-27wide-999 on sale for $764.15.

If so, no way would I consider those anywhere near as good a value as the Bontragers for $900. 27mm outer rim width, 30mm depth are both worse. Hunt's hubs are significantly worse than DT Swiss 350s, and their wheels also have a reputation for being flexy.
Old 09-21-23, 06:07 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
No.
Old 09-21-23, 06:26 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Well, you fear crosswind and ride 18MPH in average, which isn't ''hard and fast''. I don't see the need for deep wheels at that speed so might as well save on weight by going shallower (that's just my two cent).
Old 09-21-23, 06:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Well, you fear crosswind and ride 18MPH in average, which isn't ''hard and fast''. I don't see the need for deep wheels at that speed so might as well save on weight by going shallower (that's just my two cent).
Aerodynamics cN be more important at slower speeds. Obviously, a given aero improvement generates more speed difference at 30 mph, than it does at 18mph. However, the total time saved ends up being more at 18mph than 30 mph because you’re riding longer for the same distance.

and there is also the question of what the OP means by “18 mph average speed”. If he means the ride typically cruise’s at 18 mph, that’s not all that fast, but an average of 18mph for the entire ride can be pretty quick.

If the terrain is hilly or even rolling, you’re likely spending time in the mid to high 20’s to get an 18mph average, and even on flat ground, many group rides that average 18mph, particularly including warm up and cool down, go much above 20mph for good portions.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-21-23, 07:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I have two sets of the Aeolus Pro TLR 3's, one in rim ad one in disc. If/when it comes time to replace a different pair of deeper wheels I have, I would absolutely consider going or the 5's/51's. They've been great wheels.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-22-23, 06:17 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I too have a pair of 51s I my Domane. Also have rim brake 5s. The 51s are sooo much better in the wind. Really I have no movement with gusts of wind like the 5s. But I weigh 210 lbs. Ridden them on gravel with 28mm Conti 5000 non tubeless. They have stay true. Solid wheel.

On the wheels you are looking at. Do they come set up for tubeless with valves? The Bontrager rim strips of you want them are $20 each. Rim tape is lighter and cheaper. Not sure which is easier to seat a tire. I’ve tried rim tape and will try the Bontrager rim strips next to see if the are easier. Tape for me has needed a blast of air and do not stay on and seal when deflated.

If I did it again I get 37s RSLs for the extra weight savings. Not that it would help me much but they’d look just as cool.