Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

45 Years Ago: October 1978 in Bicycling magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 07:57 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Articles/columns included in this post are:
LETTERS
TECHNICAL Q and A
"Where Are the Workbikes?"

The following article from this issue was included in a past post.
BICYCLE WORKSHOP: Shimano 600EXGroup (
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...que-group.html)

I will post the "Buyers' Guide to $100-$150 Bikes" and "All About Gear Shifting" within the next few days.
Otherwise, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.

If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 10-14-23, 08:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Thank you once again! That cover is a great shot , looks like the garage , workshop of many of us . Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-14-23, 08:53 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
What I enjoy most is the ads of the brands that are now more likely a part of a large conglomerate. The late '70's that I experienced running, hiking, biking, and later white water paddling which was something quite new for the Americans I was around. Our local running clubs were organizing 10k races, people were discovering hiking and doing overnights in the mountains, and synthetic clothing was just in its initial stages. I had one piece of polypropylene that I swore stored every odor I had ever produced while wearing. Everyone was discovering Nike running shoes and getting them from Runner's World Classifieds. I bought my Peak One back packing stove and learned to use sitting on the front porch of the dealer while he showed me how to light it in 1984 (My hiking mentor used a Svea 123 stove, remember them?) He said later I was his first customer. I spent a fortune with he and his wife but enjoyed it thoroughly with the family.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 10-14-23, 09:30 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Looking forward to the buyer's guide. I would have been in middle school in '78 and those would have been the bikes in my dreams. Out of reach but attainable.

Old 10-15-23, 05:21 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Loved seeing the Trek ad and the ad for the 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-15-23, 05:58 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
What I enjoy most is the ads of the brands that are now more likely a part of a large conglomerate. The late '70's that I experienced running, hiking, biking, and later white water paddling which was something quite new for the Americans I was around. Our local running clubs were organizing 10k races, people were discovering hiking and doing overnights in the mountains, and synthetic clothing was just in its initial stages. I had one piece of polypropylene that I swore stored every odor I had ever produced while wearing.
Oh, you remind me of my first pair of polypro sock liners for hiking from right around then. Great insulation, but their smell after that hike had me gagging.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-15-23, 08:39 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
All About Gear Shifting (Berto)

Here is the Frank Berto article. I'll post the Buyers' Guide article in a separate Road Test/Bike Review post.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite: