Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good weather vs. training schedule

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 07:40 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts

Decision time. We're getting a week of unusually good weather while I have an off week in my plan; rest days, FTP test and then recovery days.

Third week of October and it might hit 80 degrees. I feel discipline sloghing away 😉.
Old 10-24-23, 07:56 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta' go with what you're given. No telling what tomorrow may bring. You can always rest later.
Old 10-24-23, 08:27 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
At this time of year I wouldnt hesitate to break training schedule for some good riding weather. Of course, I just entered the second week of my self-prescribed month off from structured training to do just fun riding...

Even my rest weeks during the summer had at least one longish 'fartlek" type of ride mixed in with a 3 hour group ride and a 2 hour zone 2 ride. This the perfect weather for something like that. Or do you want to get out and really hammer?

In any event, the FTP test can wait. Are you training for something near-term???
Old 10-24-23, 09:46 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
As i have aged I have found taking advantage of fine weather a priority.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-25-23, 04:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Different strokes. I haven't raced in years, but still I have a hard time relating since I never forced time completely off the bike. Time off of hard training never, for me at least, precluded going for easy pleasant rides. Going out for even longish rides with an easy heart rate is always okay as far as I am concerned unless maybe an injury says I need to be off bike.

Also I am one of those weird people who loves "bad"weather and likes to go out in rain, sleet, and cold weather too. That has become easier since I have focused more on trails than roads and since I moved south, but on the trails before I moved south the weather sometimes did force me off the bike and onto snowshoes or xc skiis. I think I enjoyed those bad days as much or more.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-25-23, 05:27 AM
BTinNYC 

I'm pushing training out a week and just riding during this last blast of 70 degree weather
Originally Posted by force10
Are you training for something...???
I had to think about this for a bit, and my truth is I'm training because I'm a happier and more considerate person when I'm training.

I do have event(s) in the spring but my cycling goal is keeping up with my oldest best buddy, who is stronger and faster. We're still the competitive man-children we were in 1976, AND we're going to ride in the Pyrenees next year.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-25-23, 05:53 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Schedule? What schedule? We don't need no stinking schedule!
​​​​​​
Old 10-25-23, 07:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I'm pushing training out a week and just riding during this last blast of 70 degree weather

I had to think about this for a bit, and my truth is I'm training because I'm a happier and more considerate person when I'm training.

I do have event(s) in the spring but my cycling goal is keeping up with my oldest best buddy, who is stronger and faster. We're still the competitive man-children we were in 1976, AND we're going to ride in the Pyrenees next year.
Good choice. You might as well make the most of the good weather. The entire winter awaits you for training. An FTP test can wait.
Old 10-25-23, 08:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
This all does raise the question in my mind. Do folks really have schedules that require periods of zero riding? Or is easy riding allowed in your schedule?
Old 10-25-23, 08:51 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

Riding in nice fall weather will probably make you happier and more considerate than doing an FTP test instead.

I think you made the right call and knew the answer before you even asked.
Old 10-25-23, 09:56 AM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by force10
I think you ... knew the answer before you even asked.
I think you're right. A bit of Look At Me intersecting need for validation, and boom, a new post! ;P
Old 11-06-23, 02:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Living in the PNW, I schedule my riding and rest days around rain. I do ride in the rain when fed up with the trainer, but rain riding lost the macho factor it had in my 30s.

I tried a couple of ZWIFT training programs but they do not account for age + FTP, only FTP. I know there are far stronger 68 YOs than me, but their ‘one size fits all’ programs didn’t work. A 15 YO with my FTP running the same program would have little difficulty, but it was frying me. Unfortunately I am not disciplined or motivated to follow a plan outdoors, so the weather is my coach. The good news is that I do see incremental improvement.

Old 11-06-23, 03:04 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Decision time. We're getting a week of unusually good weather while I have an off week in my plan; rest days, FTP test and then recovery days.

Third week of October and it might hit 80 degrees. I feel discipline sloghing away 😉.
Easy Z2 rides or even unstructured rides are a fine way to take advantage of good weather.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-06-23, 06:09 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
If you're a pro, or training for the Olympics, then stick to your schedule. Likely you are not, and perhaps are just training to get fitter. In that case, ride. But what the heck, just ride easy and relaxed and make it a recovery week. Maybe avoid the temptation to hammer any segments or take on any steep climbs.
Old 11-06-23, 06:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
some day the choice won’t be yours. your destiny is your own making. accept & enjoy your choices