Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 04:59 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Too much P & R nonsense in the last few posts.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-11-23, 05:13 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
From the CNN article that Gobicycling posted, “they do more physically demanding activities like gardening or stair climbing”. If that is the criteria, I might qualify for the SuperAger Olympics, and this is not even a tenth of what I maintain. If not on the bike, this is where you will find me:

Nice garden. Must need a lot of work, but it certainly looks good.
I have a hobby farm that needs a huge amount of work, but this kind of work keeps the upper body in good shape
Likes For yannisg:
Old 11-11-23, 06:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
[QUOTE=Alan K;23068695]
Non-profit” hospitals where their CEOs make tens of millions while the nursing and ancillary personnel are under staffed, overworked and stressed, jeopardizing patient care.[/QUOTE]

I do know a fair bit about this variety and had these very people in mind!
And I quite agree that this was a narrow perspective. We do help many of the smaller organizations run by volunteers locally because our own government has dropped the ball.

One of my nieces worked in Washington DC with one those organizations that work with politicians to “influence” changes. After working with them for about 3 years, she was rather disillusioned and felt exploited and quit. But as we know, n=1 is nothing more than hearsay.

I was surprised by dissemination of information based on “facts” in the last few years about many things, including related to Covid by many alphabet soup organizations (NIH, CDC, FDA, WHO etc). All were supposed to be non-partisan… until we learned otherwise.
A few decades ago I used to buy New York Times, Washington Post and read a few more in the library. They were all considered reliable sources of information, until they weren’t. Even NPR, finally proved to be not so un-biased, and I stopped sending them money. I suppose, the general tendency is that if a source of “facts” makes logical sense to us (as in seems in agreement with our notions), it appears more factual.
I’m not sure I’m going to easily trust “facts” supplied to me by left, right, or a non-partisan entity. They are all given a narrative to propagate.In fact, ideally, facts are simply facts, the rest are lies, period.

During the mid-term elections, we went to our public library to cast our votes early, we saw several people bringing in stacks of envelopes individually. That as far as I understand, is quite illegal. Many such observations were made by others in our city. But I imagine all this was deemed as unsubstantiated. We also had several “largely peaceful” demonstrations in our city where a few real and many imaginary shop owners had their businesses destroyed.

We are living in very unusual times. If and when things improve, and I sincerely hope they do, I’ll change my opinion.

Speaking of being allowed to vote.... Time to lock this one up.
Old 11-11-23, 09:10 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Between political content and off subject drift, this thread has run its course.

For benefit of some new members, political content isn’t allowed outside P&R. We learned a long time ago, political subjects quickly gets any topic off track.

Thread closed.
Likes For StanSeven: