Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork Compatability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 08:15 PM
GreenMtnCycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fork Compatability

Hello,
I am looking to replace my fork. It is currently a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 and I am interested in the Whisky MCX fork which is 1 1/2. My question is would this fit? Or would I need an adapter for 1.5? If I do can you please link me the correct adapter?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-05-24, 08:56 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Unless you know a way to put 1.5" tube into a 1.25" hole, they aren't compatible.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-05-24, 10:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
+1

You can fit a small peg into a big hole with shims. But only a theoretical physicist can put a big peg into small hole.

Your bike's headtube sets the max size for the fork, so assuming the fork was original, you need to shop for a similar a tapered fork, or one with a 1-1\8" steerer, plus an adapter for the bottom.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-24, 10:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
What frame do you have? What is the head tube size. If it is large enough with the right headset you might make it work but as is you cannot fit a larger round peg in a smaller round hole. Sometimes there are conversion headsets for certain frames but unlikely to work if the bike was set up for that taper natively and not like a 44mm headtube or some odd conversion.

This might be of help looking for forks:
https://bikepacking.com/index/forks-...e-cage-mounts/

I love Whisky both the company and the delicious brown beverage but find the right taper or ask a custom builder to build you a nice steel or titanium fork or get a modern frame compatible with the fork you want. They do make good quality forks but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.
Old 02-06-24, 05:25 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Without knowing what frame you have, no one can give you the corrrect answer. The size of the head tube will determine if the fork will fit. If your frame has a head tube that will take a 44mm lower headset cup, then the fork will fit by just changing the lower headset. If the frame has a head tube that was designed to fit only an 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered steerer, then there is no way to fit the 1 1/2 lower.
Old 02-06-24, 06:20 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
If one was to reread one's original post, one might figure out that the question was answered in the description. One does not need to know what frame it is to know that 1-1/2" does not fit into 1-1/4" or 1-1/8". If I could invent an adapter that would make this work, I could rule the world.
Old 02-06-24, 07:13 AM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To answer the question of bike it is a Focus Mares. 2017.
Old 02-06-24, 08:07 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
Having tried to find a replacement fork for one of these before, I can tell you your options are very limited due to the tapered headtube with integrated headset.
Old 02-06-24, 09:51 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If one was to reread one's original post, one might figure out that the question was answered in the description. One does not need to know what frame it is to know that 1-1/2" does not fit into 1-1/4" or 1-1/8". If I could invent an adapter that would make this work, I could rule the world.
If one knew anything about frame building, one would know that a 44mm head tube will fit nearly any size steerer tube by changing the upper and lower headset. With a 44mm head tube, you can use a straight 1 1/8" steerer, 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" tapered steerer, 1 1/8" to 1 1/2"tapered steerer or 1 1/2" straight steerer just by changing the headset.

For the OP, this ENVE fork may be an option for your Focus https://enve.com/collections/gravel-...s/ar-disc-fork
Old 02-06-24, 10:03 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by dsaul
If one knew anything about frame building, one would know that.....
While what followed is factually correct, the tone of the opener isn't justified.

One may just as offhandedly say, "if one knew anything about framebuilding, one would know that framebuilders rarely, if ever, use a 44mm headtube, then use adadaptors to fit a smaller fork".

Given no other info, folks were correct in going with the odds, assuming that the headtube and OEM fork were matched, and therefore a larger fork would not fit.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-06-24, 10:22 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by FBinNY
While what followed is factually correct, the tone of the opener isn't justified.

One may just as offhandedly say, "if one knew anything about framebuilding, one would know that framebuilders rarely, if ever, use a 44mm headtube, then use adadaptors to fit a smaller fork".

Given no other info, folks were correct in going with the odds, assuming that the headtube and OEM fork were matched, and therefore a larger fork would not fit.

The tone was in response to the tone of the post that I quoted.

44mm head tubes are quite commonly used by custom framebuilders, because of their versatility. Paragon Machine Works sells a lot of them and I use them on nearly every frame that I build. No one is using adapters to fit a smaller fork. There are headsets designed to work for this purpose. An 1 1/8" steerer would have an internal ZS style cup on both ends, whereas a tapered steerer would us a ZS cup on the top and and external EC style cup on the lower.

Last edited by dsaul; 02-06-24 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-06-24, 10:24 AM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This looks promising. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Old 02-06-24, 10:54 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
It might be a larger head tube with an adaptor headset to size it down, but if it is you'd expect he might know about it.
Old 02-06-24, 11:00 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
It might be a larger head tube with an adaptor headset to size it down, but if it is you'd expect he might know about it.
Agreed. As they teach in medical school, "if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras".

Though it's easy to "correct" posts based on possibilities, it's still good sense to respond based on likelihoods. In this case it's far more likely, though not assured, that someone asking this question is not the proud owner of a custom bike.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-06-24, 12:30 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
This one certainly knows nothing about frame building. I’m still pretty sure one cannot install a 1.5 inch cylinder through a 1.25 or 1.125 hole.
Old 02-06-24, 08:14 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by dsaul
The tone was in response to the tone of the post that I quoted.

44mm head tubes are quite commonly used by custom framebuilders, because of their versatility. Paragon Machine Works sells a lot of them and I use them on nearly every frame that I build. No one is using adapters to fit a smaller fork. There are headsets designed to work for this purpose. An 1 1/8" steerer would have an internal ZS style cup on both ends, whereas a tapered steerer would us a ZS cup on the top and and external EC style cup on the lower.
What do 44mm head tubes have to do with the 2017 Mares?

How do you go from an internal to external lower headset without screwing up the front end height? How do you know that the top of the lower headtube bearing seat has clearance for a 1 1/2" steerer?

Originally Posted by GreenMtnCycles
This looks promising. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
What is it you are trying to accomplish with a new fork? Have you talked to Focus about a replacement? Other companies make forks like this:

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/forks/...oad-cross-fork

Last edited by Kontact; 02-06-24 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-06-24, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Focus has left the U.S. just FYI Kontact you can still get some limited support from Gazelle/PON holdings in the U.S. but it isn't going to be a quick process not that the U.S. side is slow but everything unless they magically still have stock would have to come from overseas and that can take a looooong time.

The Ritchey fork is a fine fork.
Old 02-06-24, 08:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It appears that the OP is looking for a fork that accepts 50mm+ tire in a 1.125 straight or 1.250 tapered that night be the a solution to his question. Since the Whiskey MCX won't work, what else it out there. A lot of other carbon forks that accept a wide tire are generally 1.5" tapered

Of course the other piece is A2C and rake. From what I found the Focus Mares has a 400 A2C and 45mm offset.

John
Old 02-06-24, 09:02 PM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is interesting is that I was only turned on to the MCX through my local shop and I wanted to get second opinions. I am enjoying the discussion happening here.
Old 02-06-24, 09:10 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Focus has left the U.S. just FYI Kontact you can still get some limited support from Gazelle/PON holdings in the U.S. but it isn't going to be a quick process not that the U.S. side is slow but everything unless they magically still have stock would have to come from overseas and that can take a looooong time.

The Ritchey fork is a fine fork.
Thank you, I couldn't tell what Focus's deal is. But forks are the kind of thing that whomever is fulfilling warranty service should have some stock of, since the Mares was produced until 2020.
Old 02-06-24, 09:12 PM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have tried contacting Focus but none left. There is also a seller on ebay, with about 25 Focus Forks, but they do not ship to the USA.
Old 02-06-24, 09:24 PM
FBinNY 

I have tried contacting Focus but none left. There is also a seller on ebay, with about 25 Focus Forks, but they do not ship to the USA.
Reach out to someone in a country they ship to, or a friend who may be headed there. Then they can either forward to you via post or bring it back. I've sent stuff to and from all over the world using burros* this way.

BTW- there are businesses here in the USA, which do this kind of thing for a fee. Often they consolidate shipments, lowering costs to where they can be both cost effective and profitable. Use the net and search for forwards to the right country, or any that they'll ship to, and you have the forwarder make the purchase as your agent. I send CHAIN-L to Japan this way, shipping to California.

*(burros, not mules to avoid negative assumptions)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-06-24 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 10:22 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
This one certainly knows nothing about frame building. I’m still pretty sure one cannot install a 1.5 inch cylinder through a 1.25 or 1.125 hole.
44mm at insertion, 1.5 inch fork. External cup is how to do it.

The OP just needs to make sure the 36 or 45 degree bearing taper (if integrated crown race) matches that of the fork.
Old 02-06-24, 11:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Kontact
Thank you, I couldn't tell what Focus's deal is. But forks are the kind of thing that whomever is fulfilling warranty service should have some stock of, since the Mares was produced until 2020.
In Europe they would have that the U.S. is less likely they were selling Mares in the U.S. at the time but it has been quite some time and most of that stuff is been used.

Have you contacted Gazelle? They were handling Focus warranty in the U.S. as noted above.

If nothing else the Ritchey fork would work and would be a fine replacement.
Old 02-06-24, 11:30 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by base2
44mm at insertion, 1.5 inch fork. External cup is how to do it.

The OP just needs to make sure the 36 or 45 degree bearing taper (if integrated crown race) matches that of the fork.
The OP doesn't have a 44mm headtube. His bike isn't built to accept a pressed cup. What are you talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.