Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn 1972 Super Sport 10 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 02:50 PM
9062pen@gmail.c
Paul

Bikes: Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn 1972 Super Sport 10 Speed

I'd like to get some suggestions about the current value of my Schwinn 27" Super Sport. Its in great shape with all original equipment in a baby blue. 27 inch wheels with quick releases, stem mounted friction shifters, integrated kick stand, duel control brakes. It rides great and brakes and gears all work.
thanks fopr your eedback!
Old 03-01-24, 07:02 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Hello Paul and Welcome To The Forum

Your bicycle will generate more response it you were to post it to this forum:

https://www.thecabe.com

there is a sub-forum there entitled "Schwinn lightweights" which would be a good place to post

one needs to register to post and registration is without cost

-----
Old 03-02-24, 08:49 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

I’ve had this listed local marketplace for 45. Not pretty to look at, but rides awesome. Zero interest.
Old 03-02-24, 09:56 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
27" wheels are a deal breaker for a lot of people.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-03-24, 07:38 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Those are really nice bikes -- very different than their Varsity brethren -- fillet brazed, nice riders. The problem is that most folks can't tell the difference. Kdogbikes example for $45 going unsold is a good example -- esp with the Brooks saddle!

You can post photos in your gallery here and then post on this thread saying you've done so -- and folks will repost them for you (or make 10 posts and be able to post them directly yourself) -- photos REALLY help in establishing value.

You say yours is 27" -- is that the frame size (really tall?) or are you conflating wheel and frame size. 27" wheels are no longer common, but there are still good tire options out there, and for someone who actually knows what this bike is it will not be too big a barrier.

Assuming good condition and a bit of luck $75-$100 is not out of line. If it is actually a 27" frame I'd buy it if I were not halfway across the country!

Last edited by JulesCW; 03-03-24 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 11:55 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
I believe there were only 3 sizes on these and measured to the top of the seat tube clamp. I have 3 from 1973. I sold a beautiful 1972 in the tall size a couple years ago locally to a gentleman that already had one, but wanted another cleaner one. He drove 50 miles for it. That is the market; finding that nostalgic guy. That one sold for $200. That blue was fairly common here in the Midwest.

1972, all stock except derailleur and maybe cables

Last year at the Monroe Michigan bike swap which is very large and well attended, a dealer had a VERY nice 73 in the mid size for something like $230-250. It was stock and very clean, but I don’t think he was getting any action. So unless yours is practically pristine, I think maybe $100 or a bit more. $150 maybe to the right guy and $200 for a show piece. We need pics from you to evaluate better of course. Here’s mine. I love the Super Sport!

My nicest one in close to stock form

Family photo; all 1973
Likes For sd5782:
Old 03-03-24, 12:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Value depends on your location and your ability to market. All original often means has not been maintained in 40 years. I buy "all original" bikes all the time. Anything with bearings: wheel hubs, headset, bottom bracket, pedals, will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and fresh grease. These tasks mean the buyer has to do the work themselves, as the cost to have a shop do this work will be several hundreds of dollars. Then you have rubber parts, like brake pads and tires. Add chain, freewheel clean, flush and re-oil, fresh cables and housings.

When I obtain bikes like this, my first step is a complete tear down to the bare frame. Then I clean, replace bearings, fresh grease, and the process begins. I have two in the queue right now. One is an all chrome vintage MTB with zero rust. Even though I bought it cheap, I won't make any money on it.

In my market, an all original Super Sport from that era will bring $25 to $50. To the average buyer, $50 will buy a used bike that weighs at least 10 pounds less, with much nicer components (like a three piece crankset and a much better derailleur set). Schwinn spec'd in some really low end parts on these bikes, except for the Brooks saddle. It's kind of sad, as they knew how to make them better, but by the 1970s, they ran the business on auto pilot, not upgrading anything. When the Japanese bikes started entering the market in the early 1970s, it was an eye opener.

Years ago, I sold one for $250. Those days are long over.

Hopefully your market is better, but, I have bought a lot of bikes in the Denver market as I found that market to be very soft. Hopefully you can do better.

Denver market right now:

Trek 900: $30.

While a Trek 900 is a MTB, for a recreational rider, I find these old school MTBs provide a lot of value. Great brakes compared to the SS, can take a myriad of tire widths, 26 inch tires are plentiful, can handle any rack front or rear, better shifting, list goes on and on.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-3235a08693e4

Last edited by wrk101; 03-03-24 at 12:34 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-04-24, 10:03 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
While on the " heavy side " ...The Super Sport is one of the BEST riding bikes !!!
Smooth...stable....sturdy !!!
I have one,.... 1973 all original. I never ride it as I have a 2003 Lemond Alpe D' Huez I ride most of the time.
The " vintage" bike market is " soft" right now as mentioned above.
It all depends how quick you want to sell and where you live....

If it's in good shape and rideable , I would say $ 125.00--- $150.00.
Where else can someone find a cro-moly frame with a Brooks Leather saddle, that will not fall apart like Walmart/Target stuff for 150.00 **********
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 03-08-24, 03:11 PM
9062pen@gmail.c
Paul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback and Suggestion!
Old 03-08-24, 03:12 PM
9062pen@gmail.c
Paul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback! Good points made.
Old 03-09-24, 04:25 PM
Mikey58 
Up! Up! Up!!!

Bikes: '84 Specialized Stumpjumper XT, '12 Felt TK2, '16 Bianchi Allroad, '22 Trek Emonda SL5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I can't comment on the value of your Super Sport, 9062pen, but all of these pics in this thread bring back a ton of memories! I had a Super Sport, mid-sized and blue, back in the day. Actually used it to complete a century ride back in 1973(!). Wasn't smart enough to know that it couldn't be done back then (or so the "experts" told me). That bike served me well. The good ol' days......

Mike
Old 03-09-24, 06:24 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey58
Actually used it to complete a century ride back in 1973(!). Wasn't smart enough to know that it couldn't be done back then (or so the "experts" told me). That bike served me well. The good ol' days......
A good friend road a 1969 SS from Los Angeles to San Francisco. All my buddies decided that right out of High School they wanted to ride to SFO and they all road whatever they had.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-13-24, 09:10 AM
Jim G

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I stepped up to a late sixties SS in the same blue hue as my first 'quality' bike and at the time $104.99 of my lawn mowing/paper route savings was a major hit - and made me a subject of ridicule in the neighborhood. It would be the last bike with clinchers and the beginning of a life-long passion that has defined my adult life. A C-note and change in exchange for my fondest reason for waking up in the morning for over half a century is money well spent. One difference from the slightly newer bikes on this post is my ride had zero Asian parts on it: derailleurs were Huret, brakes and rims were Weinmann, a fully plated tubular fork and the rear dropouts were Campy - most likely from the shelf in the Paramount Room.
Old 03-13-24, 10:04 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 636 Posts
The market for these is fading most of the guys who would buy them for sentimental value are now retiring and selling of there bikes and cars not buying and they are not old or nice enough to be good collectors bikes.
Old 03-13-24, 10:09 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Value depends on your location and your ability to market. All original often means has not been maintained in 40 years. I buy "all original" bikes all the time. Anything with bearings: wheel hubs, headset, bottom bracket, pedals, will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and fresh grease. These tasks mean the buyer has to do the work themselves, as the cost to have a shop do this work will be several hundreds of dollars. Then you have rubber parts, like brake pads and tires. Add chain, freewheel clean, flush and re-oil, fresh cables and housings.

When I obtain bikes like this, my first step is a complete tear down to the bare frame. Then I clean, replace bearings, fresh grease, and the process begins. I have two in the queue right now. One is an all chrome vintage MTB with zero rust. Even though I bought it cheap, I won't make any money on it.

In my market, an all original Super Sport from that era will bring $25 to $50. To the average buyer, $50 will buy a used bike that weighs at least 10 pounds less, with much nicer components (like a three piece crankset and a much better derailleur set). Schwinn spec'd in some really low end parts on these bikes, except for the Brooks saddle. It's kind of sad, as they knew how to make them better, but by the 1970s, they ran the business on auto pilot, not upgrading anything. When the Japanese bikes started entering the market in the early 1970s, it was an eye opener.

Years ago, I sold one for $250. Those days are long over.

Hopefully your market is better, but, I have bought a lot of bikes in the Denver market as I found that market to be very soft. Hopefully you can do better.

Denver market right now:

Trek 900: $30.

While a Trek 900 is a MTB, for a recreational rider, I find these old school MTBs provide a lot of value. Great brakes compared to the SS, can take a myriad of tire widths, 26 inch tires are plentiful, can handle any rack front or rear, better shifting, list goes on and on.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-3235a08693e4
+1 the Denver market has pretty much been a big soft market for 40 or so years now just a lot of great bikes at silly low and silly high prices with not much actually selling at FMV for the rest of the US.
Old 03-15-24, 08:19 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
+1 the Denver market has pretty much been a big soft market for 40 or so years now just a lot of great bikes at silly low and silly high prices with not much actually selling at FMV for the rest of the US.
Yeah I agree with that. Asking prices are all over the place, with some really basic bikes in the $250-$350 range, and then you get vintage Treks for $40.

There has been one on fb marketplace for $20, although it is slightly on the larger size. But still.
Old 03-15-24, 06:48 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey58
I can't comment on the value of your Super Sport, 9062pen, but all of these pics in this thread bring back a ton of memories! I had a Super Sport, mid-sized and blue, back in the day. Actually used it to complete a century ride back in 1973(!). Wasn't smart enough to know that it couldn't be done back then (or so the "experts" told me). That bike served me well. The good ol' days......

Mike
On my 73 I did several centuries while loaded on a solo Ohio tour to see a buddy. I wasn’t really trying to accomplish this, but just traveling. My older brother competed in a 24 hr endurance ride on his in about 1975 in Tulsa on a closed course. He did just over 300 miles. I guess I wasn’t smart enough either to know one couldn’t tour on a Super Sport.
Likes For sd5782: