Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-23, 05:17 PM
Pinehurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I'm on a Marin San Rafael DS2 and a vintage Norco Monshee Magnum.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Glucosamine for an arthritic knee.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Hard to describe "slowed down" but for sure stamina isn't what it used to be. But it is more aches/pains than aerobic.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Off, on. Many years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I have done 40k (25 miles) on the Marin but not every day. Mostly less than 4-5 miles. Couple times a week.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Couple times per week I'll ride to the pickleball court and back - prob 200 miles a year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-20-23, 01:24 AM
Sapper69
Brisvegas roadie

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9 (SRAM Red-22), 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 (SRAM Red 10-speed mix), 2013 Pinarello FP Uno (Campagnolo Athena 11-speed), 2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro (Shimano 105 10-speed), 2009 Colnago EPS (dream build, under construction!)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Early 50s 1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have several road bikes, one old road bike I converted to flat bar, an MTB I hardly use any more, a 24" BMX cruiser (yes I still ride this every so often and love it), and a TT/tri bike I don't use much any more but now has drop bars. For road bikes, my 'go to' bike for the last ten years has been a Trek Domane 6.9. For shorter recreational rides or climbs etc, I have several other bikes. Just starting a 'dream build' of a Colnago EPS, which I'll do a post on at some point. 2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Fresh air.
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I was at my absolute peak fitness in my early 40s, while I was still serving in the military. I've slowed down considerably since then, but probably still on par with when I was in my mid 30s. The type of exercise has changed too. I hardly run at all now because of achilles soreness if I run any decent distance, but low impact sports such as cycling and swimming are great for when you get older.
4. How long have you been biking? I've been riding for as long as I can remember, probably since I was around five years old. Had my first 650c road bike when I was about 11 or 12. I've never done road bike racing competitively but did do triathlons and still do sportives. As a teenager I did competitive BMX racing at a high level. 5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. These days shorter rec/fitness rides 2-3 days a week. A longer ride most weekends and occasional sportive or century rides.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Around 2-3000 km.

Last edited by Sapper69; 01-09-24 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 06:37 PM
gottahavit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hello from 55 YO Vermonter!

Main bike is a Specialized Sequoia Elite (2009). Just picked up a Douglas Motive(roughly 2005?)

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Less Beer... more whiskey

On the bike not much, off the bike a lot.

Started biking at 40 YO(not counting childhood) so 15 years

Only Road rides, anywhere from 15 to 75 miles depending on weather and mood.

I bike April to Nov, average about 2500 miles a summer.
Old 08-12-23, 10:54 AM
massi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinehurst
Please tell us your age.

Glucosamine for an arthritic knee.

[/QUOTE]
Try taking 450mg Magnesium and 4000IU of Vit D3 daily ...you'll start to notice an improvement in your Arthritis within 2-3 weeks . Magnesium takes a while to take effect as it accumulates and stays in the body for some time and works slowly at first. ideally you should also take 80mg Vit K2 with the Vit D3
Old 09-16-23, 04:02 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do you ride?
A Raleigh Retroglide iE (no battery).

I take a Liposomal multivitamin.

Do to brain cancer, and a permanent groin injury, to a standstill currently.

Most of my life.

Casual urban riding.

I am in the process of training to ride again.
Old 09-26-23, 11:38 AM
pelirary

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

75 years old

Rode a 1997 Trek 1220 until July 1st of this year when I picked up my new Trek Domane AL5

Just a multi vitamin. The only medication I am on is Nexium and a daily nasal spray.

Years ago I had an average speed of between 14.5 and 15.5. Now I am down to averaging 13

I've biked all my life. In my teens my brother, friend and I rode from central NJ to Maryland. In 1999 I did bike tour from Ottawa, Canada to Washington DC. Numerous centuries over the years but none in the past fifteen years.

With my new bike my rides have increased to between 20 and 25 from between 12 and 15. I had planned on doing a metric century this year but never increased the mileage enough in my mind.

I ride two or three times. week. Annual mileage in the past couple years has been 1500-1600. Best year was 1999 when my annual mileage was 4035 but 800 of that was the aforementioned tour. Because of some physical issues my mileage between 2011 and 2015 were well under 1000 per year.
Old 09-26-23, 12:55 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Welcome, we share a few things, I’m not quite 72 but I bought the same bike a couple of years ago during the pandemic. I love the bike and it has treated me well. I ride 25 or so 2-3 times a week with an average speed of around 12.5-13 mph. Biking is fairly new to me, really picked it up during COVID. Great forum, lots of wisdom and a good dose of not taking ourselves too seriously. I’m sure you’ll find it a good place to hang out.
Old 11-13-23, 03:09 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right.

Why WRONG or RIGHT, it’s just a matter of choice and individual’s circumstances. A more useful insight may have come from the information about individual’s justification as to why they opted for their choices.

Some questions: State the purpose! For the time being, I’m assuming that the purpose is to just note what old people like to use. “Why” would have been more useful but that may be exploited by marketing folks, which is hard to avoid these days. 😉

Please tell us your age. Very close to 70

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have not conducted any surveys so I have no idea what “folks” ride.
I personally ride too many different bicycles to list here; they range from very inexpensive (but well-maintained) to fairly expensive (titanium and carbon with all DurAce etc). They all have their advantages based on the weather conditions and where I plan to go. I never use fancy latex outfits, $300 helmets or use clips.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? This question should be clearer; given the context of bicycling, if I assume it to mean that when I go bicycling, do I bring such things with me, the answer to that would be no, I do not.
But as general supplementations, I do take Calcium and vitamin D3 (4,000 IUD per day). In our area, winters are long, days are short and sun often doesn’t shine and even when it does, not enough skin is exposed to sunlight long enough to meet the daily needs of vitamin D production.
I encourage even younger people to take vitamin D3. It’s a cheap and excellent supplement to keep the immune system working well. [The only reason I think, it is not strongly recommended by the medical industry, is because they do not stand to make huge amount of $ from pushing it - no patents!]

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Never had a speedometer long enough on my bicycles and still don’t. But my guess is that my bicycling pace is reduced by about 20-30%. [I estimate my overall pace by making a mental note of time and the distance I cover. A few times I have compared my estimates by what Google map came up with and the difference was inconsequential so I stopped using the phone, to prevent draining the phone battery.]

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Ever since I can remember, which would make it about 65 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Most of them, including daily commuting but not multiple day touring; this is something I am contemplating for the next spring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Usually daily. I don’t keep track of yearly miles but I think that it has varied between 1,500 and about 4,000 per year. [For about 8 years, my commuting distance on bicycle was 17 miles one way and I used to go to work 6 days a week - that would exceed 4,000 miles/year.]
Old 11-13-23, 03:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Please tell us your age. 72

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I ride a 1995 Cannondale hybrid with fenders, a front rack, panniers, and aero bars for both shopping and training. Also ride a fixed-gear Specialized Langster (aluminum frame, aluminum fork, bullhorn bars with aero bars clamped to it). Those two for about 80% of my riding; I also ride an aluminum 10-speed Ultegra aluminum Motobecane road bike with aero bars and an aluminum Felt time trial bike, very occasionally.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No. Every once in a great while, if I've breathed in a lot of dust or have been around cats, I might have to take a fit from an asthma inhaler, but that's it.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? (FYI, as a retired editor, I'll point out that the quotation marks used in this question are superfluous.) I'm sure I have, but I'm still using the same ratio on my current fixed gear bike (48/18) as on my first track bike, in 1963 (51/19). Still pretty fast, but I don't monitor my speed.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? The bike mentioned above was preceded by a Raleigh Blue Streak 10-speed bike. Before that, a Western Auto paperboy-style bike, at age 8 or so.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. No touring. Mostly 3-to-4-hour training rides, 5 or 6 or 7 days a week. So usually around 16 to 24 or so hours per week. (Retired.)

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? See above. Mileage? Don't keep track of it, since the bikes I ride differ so greatly. I like to know how many hours I've done each day (see above), but I don't bother keeping track of cumulative data.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-13-23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-13-23, 04:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Please tell us your age. 55

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Road, mountain, and gravel My primary bikes are new-ish, but I have a few that are 20+ years old. The older ones don't get ridden very often.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No. I don't think blood pressure meds count in any of those categories.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Depends what time frame I compare to. I'm not as fast as I was at 35, by a good step, but I was more than 10 years into being an active racer, and racing Cat 2. However, I took almost 15 years off the bike, starting in 2005. Since I started riding again 4 years ago, I am continuing to set new PRs and build fitness.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I did a little BMX racing as a kid. Rode and raced MTB, road, and CX from '90-'05. Back at it again since '19.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Currently, I ride my road bike, MTB, and gravel bike, on rides that range from 1 hour to 5+ hours. Sometimes I ride solo. Sometimes I ride with others. The variety of options keeps cycling fresh, interesting, and motivating. In this post-racer phase, I'm enjoying riding for the pure joy of riding a bike, rather than the constant pressure and suffering of training to be faster/stronger. Sometimes I enjoy fast, competitive group road rides. Sometimes I enjoy stopping to take pics of the places my bike takes me.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I'm typically on the bike 3-4 days per week, and my rough target is 100 miles per week. Mostly due to family obligation interruptions (my kid's travel softball), my years have been in the 3k mile range. This year, I expect to end up over 4k.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-13-23 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 11-21-23, 07:34 PM
RGVbiker

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2004 Giant OCR 2 road bike. Originally a 3x9 speed triple but I've upgraded it to a Tiagra 4700 2x10 group set, carbon wheels with latex tubes and carbon seat post. The difference is like day and night. The frame is excellent that just begs for upgrades

Just Metamucil.... lol. For reference I'm 54yrs old, 5'11" @ 162lbs and I'm somewhat strict with my diet. A lot of vegetables and lean chicken. I've noticed that as I've gotten older, what I've eaten has a more effect on my mood & especially my energy levels.

I think i feel the same as long as I stay active and eat healthy. Although mid afternoon naps are becoming more frequent

I've been road cycling for 37 years

long rides,

I ride 28 miles daily, then take one day off, then once a week a 60+ mile ride. So far this year according to my strava I've logged 2952 miles.
Old 11-27-23, 07:48 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
[QUOTE=RGVbiker;23079197]1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I have a 2004 Giant OCR 2 road bike. Originally a 3x9 speed triple but I've upgraded it to a Tiagra 4700 2x10 group set, carbon wheels with latex tubes and carbon seat post. The difference is like day and night. The frame is excellent that just begs for upgrades

We own a bike shop that specializes in gravel, and frankly 2/3 of our customer base is 50+ people that are active riders trading in their road bikes for a gravel bike. Why?
- More upright position is more comfortable yet still very efficient
- More vertical compliance in the frame is easier on the back and joints on longer rides yet still very efficient
- Bigger tires are more sure-footed and support greater weight, have better traction and are way more comfortable to ride on a longer ride.
- Disc brakes stop better for safety and take a lot less hand pressure to control speed on long descents
- Relaxed geometry (longer wheelbase, more fork rake) is less twitchy and more stable for a longer ride.
- LOTS of great bike choices and they still look cool, especially compared to a hybrid.
- Great options to carry all sorts of stuff you may need on a ride.
- Reasonably prices options like the Salsa Journeyer are available for less than $1,000 to make an easy transition that is affordable.
- Gravel bikes open up a lot of riding options on rural roads that have far fewer cars with testing drivers to dodge.
Old 12-21-23, 03:17 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Reliance Model with wooden rims - help with info on it

We have an old steel bike with wooden rims. Would anyone care to share any knowledge and possible rate it on desirability? It has been hanging in an old lumber mill for over 50 years - hence the oddly attached chains.
Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by ItsTimeToBike; 12-21-23 at 03:21 PM. Reason: mistake in choosing topic
Likes For ItsTimeToBike:
Old 12-21-23, 03:23 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
In my haste to post this, I misread it to be a topic on 50 year old bikes!. At any rate I do qualify based on my age as well.
Likes For ItsTimeToBike:
Old 01-01-24, 12:36 PM
randywall

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will soon be 63, and am returning to biking because mallet finger followed by 2 strained tendons in the rotator cuff have forced a hiatus in golf, which I took up 12 years ago. I moved from San Diego to the Pacific Northwest in 1993, and in the interim, probably haven't logged more than 100 miles cycling. After joining my grandson on a local 10 mile ride in the summer (Tour de Whidbey), I decided the old bike had its best days long behind it, and especially wanted the performance of hydraulic brakes given my finger limitations.
I only test drove 2 bikes, but the FX 3 felt really good. The LBS has 3 locations, and I went to one further away to test ride this one. They were going to finish prep/tuning it before sending it to the shop closest to me. I should have it in 1 or 2 days. I expect my first few rides will not be more than a mile or 2. I don't think I will get back to the level of riding the San Diego canyons for several hours like I did in my 30's, but hopefully will get to a 10 mile ride a couple of times a week, and maybe have a reason for taking the bike with us on our A-Frame pop-up camping trips.