Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to my first carbon bike, need suggestions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 08:27 AM
Alloyrider

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, Trek FX 7.1,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I Currentley have a '13 Trek Madone 2.1 and Im looking into upgrading to my first carbon bike. Ive been liking 3 models but I would like to see if more experienced people or people whom have these bikes can put their insights to help me choose one.
I narrowed it down to the following;

'13 GIANT TCR composite 1
'13 Specialized Tarmac Race Rival MId Compact
'13 Cannondale Supersix 4 Rival (h3)

Besides ugrading to carbon I also want the drivetrain to be better or atleast match my Shimano 105 thats on my Madone 2.1. I am favoring the GIANT due to the Ultegra everything but would like some guidence from you guys. So as soon as I find a buyer for my madone, ill pull the trigger on one of these bikes.

Any help is appriciated
Old 08-12-13, 09:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Describe how you ride now. What about your Madone dissatisfies you? Or what is your goal in upgrading?
Old 08-12-13, 09:53 AM
Alloyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Describe how you ride now. What about your Madone dissatisfies you? Or what is your goal in upgrading?
I ride 20-40 miles 3x a week and normally do alot of short sprints(starva segments) and hill climbs. Ive been noticing that my Madone might be a little small for me (54cm) and I just rode my friends Madone 3.1 at 56cm and its like night and day. we swapped bikes for a day and I can tell that the carbon was just alot more compliant overall. So it made me want carbon on top of a little bigger bike that properly fits me.
Old 08-12-13, 10:28 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honestly, the assessment of the carbon being more compliant could be a multitude of factors (fit, wheels, tire pressure, handlebar shape, handlebar tape thickness) that may or may not have anything to do with the frame material.

fit >>>> frame material. start with a good fit at a shop by someone who knows what they're doing. if you question the size of your frame vs. a friend, that someone isnt you. choose the shop over the bicycle brand, every brand sells something that will work for you. go into your fit session knowing what you want to use your bike for (i.e. type of riding), your budget, whether you want a new frame or a new complete bicycle. a fit session should take about 3 hours and cost about $100/hr. most shops will work that charge into a new bike purchase somehow. it always makes me scratch my head when people spend good $ after bad trying to find the perfect bike but balk at the expense of a fit session. get the recommendations from the fitter and find the bike that you like best for your intended use and budget.
Old 08-12-13, 10:49 AM
qualia8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want a new bike and came here for advice and validation. I won't deny you that by telling you to stick with your perfectly functional aluminum bike. You deserve a new carbon bicycle! TCR is an amazing bike, and in terms of stiffness, comfort, weight, etc., I don't know of any aluminum bike that matches it. Can't speak to the other two, since I haven't ridden them. Fit is key, obviously. Now, go test ride them!
Old 08-12-13, 10:57 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no reason to put ultegra higher than rival, both are quality groups, if you like sram get one of the others, if you prefer shimano look at a tarmac or super6 with Ultegra, but the key here is to find the bike that fits you best. if you compare a giant, spec and cannondale of equal specs they are gonna be similar in price and similar in performance, it'll come down to fit and personal preference.
Old 08-12-13, 11:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It's a joy to ride a bike that fits, and you've noticed a difference riding your friend's bike. Good advice above^^ about finding the right shop (who will sell you the correct size and will fit you properly) rather than the brand. It might be good to take measurements from your bike (hint: 2D coordinates all referenced from the bottom bracket spindle) as well as from your friend's bike. Pay attention to differences between the handlebar type(s), too, as these affect fit. Make note the differences between the two bikes.

It might be possible to use a setback post and longer reach stem to get similar numbers for your Madone. At least, it can fit you while you look, and can become your rainy day bike.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-13, 11:23 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
105 is more than good enough. Ultegra isn't all that much better than 105. You're going to be hard-pressed to tell the difference.
Old 08-12-13, 12:15 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by achoo
105 is more than good enough. Ultegra isn't all that much better than 105. You're going to be hard-pressed to tell the difference.
agreed, myself, I'd buy 105 or Rival (whichever I liked) and use any extra cash for nice wheels or other extras
Old 08-12-13, 12:16 PM
Alloyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that fitment is key, when i got my madone i just went this the shop guy told me and since i never ridden a road bike before i just went with what he said. Not until i started riding the size bigger i was comparing how much more natural it felt so this time around im taking the time and effort to make sure it fits me right.
Old 08-12-13, 07:22 PM
advicepig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You haven't mentioned if you've ridden these bikes, but that's the real bottom line. Test ride and buy the one you love the most. Don't fart around online trying to figure out if you are getting the best value. Set a price limit and buy the bike that feels the most fun.
Old 08-12-13, 10:30 PM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Take a look online for some great values ... no tax & free shipping

Orca BRV Complete Bike Price: $1849
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS

Izoard XP/SRAM Rival Complete Bike Price: $1999
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS
Old 08-12-13, 10:33 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good call Flatsix...you forgot to mention, with CC it is also lifetime returns. If I had the funds I would be all over that Orca with Rival.
Old 08-13-13, 07:49 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I just got a Van Dessel Rivet with a carbon seatpost and Easton carbon bars. There is a noticeable difference in comfort compared to my older Fuji Team Easton Al bike. And I am currently using the same wheels, so the CF has got to get the credit. I ain't any faster though.
Old 08-13-13, 11:15 AM
Alloyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I havent test riden any bikes yet, im going to try out the Specialized and GIANT tomorrow so hopefully I know which bike feels better than the other. I want to try the SRAM double tap since ive only been exposed to Shimano, maybe that will be my preference.