Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Late 70s schwinn super le tour 12.2

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 07:41 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I picked up a frameset and its rough but salvageable. Ill probably throw a modern wheelset under it and ride it around in the spring. I am wondering what length of bottom bracket was used in these. I want to look for a sealed unit but want to make sure i get something close to what was in there to begin with. Chances are i will use it as a single speed at this point or at least to start. IF it fits properly then ill probably update it to geared.

Anyone know the proper bb length i should be hunting for?
Old 12-15-20, 07:53 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I picked up a frameset and its rough but salvageable. Ill probably throw a modern wheelset under it and ride it around in the spring. I am wondering what length of bottom bracket was used in these. I want to look for a sealed unit but want to make sure i get something close to what was in there to begin with. Chances are i will use it as a single speed at this point or at least to start. IF it fits properly then ill probably update it to geared.

I've used a symmetric 116mm bottom bracket in mine running a 52/39 170mm crankset with no clearance issues. I have been thinking about going to 113mm since I've got a compact crank on there now and I'd like the chainline moved in a bit. I can't remember what it came with stock, though.

Your frame came from the factory spaced at 120mm I believe, so a modern wheelset will require cold setting. No worries, I did it to mine
Old 12-15-20, 07:58 AM
scale

Thanks. i assumed the rear stays were bent in on one side when i saw that it was only 120mm. I will respace it to 130. I have already started the process. Thanks for the heads up and the spindle lengths.
Old 12-15-20, 08:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Spindle length is determined by the model of crankset used, and what it requires, not the bike model or frameset
Old 12-15-20, 08:14 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Part of the equation is the crankset you plan to use. I thought I might have the original one from my super le tour but it’s not in the box of take-off parts.
Old 12-15-20, 08:18 AM
scale

Yeah...good point. I guess i should figure out what im using for a crankset first.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-20, 09:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What is your overall budget for the project, and how much are you willing to spend on the crankset? Do you have a color scheme thought out? I ask, because you can pick-up "new, take-off" FSA Gossamer cranksets with external bearings pretty cheaply right now. They're black, though. No need to go with a square taper older crankset with cartridge bearing. You won't save any money, unless it's already in your parts bin.

If you're using a "modern" wheelset and respacing the rear dropouts, be very careful to measure for symmetry as you go. BE VERY CAREFUL. Then make certain that your dropouts are re-aligned to be parallel to the center plane of the frameset. Again, measure and re-measure until you're convinced. Pay close attention to the rear brake bridge as it meets the seat stays for signs of fatigue or cracking, especially with that frame. Go slow. Be careful.
Old 12-15-20, 09:36 AM
scale

I have a few square taper cranksets laying around..just no bb or spindle.

I think i have a FSA crankset as well...just no external bb that i can recall. I should be able to source either at the local coop cheap enough.
Old 12-19-20, 11:22 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I picked up a frameset...

I was checking this recently on a '76 that I have. I'm overhauling another, see the thread on "what color would you paint a bike?"

The OEM crank, a Japan-made "Le Tour," had a 124.5mm spindle.
Of the two spindles I have, one was labelled "3S" and the other"3SA."
Spindle is 35-52-37.

Rear dropouts are wider for me; getting 125 on one of the frames.

A starting point. The crank you end using may well require a different length spindle to get the best chainline.
Old 12-21-20, 04:44 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I spent this morning hiking on a local wooded cross country course and county park. In an odd bit of synchronicity, when I got back to the parking lot, the vehicle parked next to mine had a burgundy red SLT 12.2 on it.