Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

dumou donzo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 09:10 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
dumou donzo?

tommie d done? jumbo-visma looked to be fairly competitive with ineos and still will be but this is a blow. even if he does come back....is his heart really in it?
does he need the day to day nonsense? he will be missed if he does retire as his gc/climbing/tt abilities forced others to be their best.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom...training-camp/
Old 01-24-21, 01:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I saw that on VeloNews https://www.velonews.com/news/road/w...-career-break/

I tend to read in to much of my own imagination in between the lines, but wonder if there has been some severe mental stress that he's trying to cope with. Regardless, I'm sure at the top like he is that there is a lot to deal with that is overwhelming at times.

Wish the best for him
Old 01-26-21, 09:16 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I like Tom Dom and wish the best for him, regardless of his decision.
Old 01-27-21, 06:00 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I wondered when he left the Vuelta early, saying he felt "empty".

It's hard to imagine that life, so so much work every year to stay competitive. At least I can flop on to the couch after work, which happens more now that I'm past thirty and with a young family. Not these guys though, if you want to stay at the top. Tom's a star and expert in cycling, I imagine there's a lucrative career waiting for him that can give him way more personal time.

This kind of goes along with Gilbert's recent interview where he ponders how sustainable van aert and van der poel's 100% yearly cycling schedule is.
'They don't have any life except cycling. I don't know if you can hold on that long'
Old 01-29-21, 01:36 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
As with most situations throughout life, physical stress is much easier to deal with than mental/emotional stress (small business owner speaking from experience).
Physical stress: diet, training, sleep.
Mental/emotional stress: ????

West
Old 02-01-21, 11:15 AM
.joeri.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There was a dutch documentary about jumbo visma and the TdF 2020. He was having trouble with saddle sore, and couldn’t get it right. A lot of saddle changes, position changes, ... He and the mechanics were driving crazy about it.
In the Netherlands there ware a lot of negative comments about it in the media etc.
And it’s these small things that made him made this decision I think.